Funky SRV/ Jimi Tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluelew, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bluelew

bluelew Member

Anyone get that killer clean/slightly driven funky chord tone that you hear on SRV "come on" (Soul To Soul), "couldn't stand the weather", "Mary had a little Lamb" or Jimi's "Izabella" and "killing floor". Sometimes I get close with a wah on (fixed position) comp and TS set to light gain. I play a Texas Fat Strat with a Lollar Tweed in the neck thru a Fender HRD set pretty clean. Any suggestions opinions appreciated.

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

All different sounds. Well, COuldnt Stand the Weather and Mary Had a Little Lamb are close. Come On sounds like he's running 2 Tubescreamers. Izabella is silicon fuzz and a Marshall, Killing Floor is germanium fuzz and Marshall/Fender. A Fulltone '69 will nail the Killing Floor/ Rdio One tones, but it's extremely expensive now. Any tube amp with decent cleans will get you all those tones with the right effects, but one of the keys to Jimi's and SRV's tones is that both guys played EXTREMELY loud most of the time. For effects, you'll need some type of Tubescreamer, a germanium Fuzzface clone, and a silicone Fuzzface clone.

3. bluelew

bluelew Member

I am mainly interested in nailing the rhythm tones. It sounds like there is a wah on as a tone filter in a lot of those tunes. BOG Izabella sounds like some modulation as well. Anyone else hear that?

4. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Listen to that Live in Austin DVD of the Los Lonely Boys. Henry gets a great SRV tone with his Mexican Strat, Marshall Head, Bogner 2X12 Cab, and Tube Screamer with a Vox Wah.

5. gregory49

gregory49 Member

i use an ldo with my strat and super reverb to get all those tones.

6. bluelew

bluelew Member

bump for opinions

7. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

+1 i love his sound, its a tribute to Jimi and Stevie but still with enough of his own style in there too.

8. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

crank up a tube amp.....get a strat and use your hands. :)

9. JimH

JimH Member

yup - I never know what to say to these threads either... I love those tones, but no bit of gear really seems to get me anywhere. Feel like it's my frame of mind on the day or something... I hate those 'it's all mojo' answers too - sorry.

10. bluelew

bluelew Member

Yeah I know most of it's in the hands. Just trying to even the score before the hands come into the equation. No amount of "hands" and cranking up a tube amp is going to help you achieve a sound if you leave something out of the equation- like a fuzz on with guitar volume rolled back or a wah set in a fixed setting. It's the little details I'm looking for.

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

That "dirty clean" that Hendrix uses, can be done pretty well with a COT 50 set up right.

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i get it all the time with my strat. in fact, i'm trying to figure out a way to make myself sound less "SRV" in my rhythm tones at times because i don't really like that sound. hopefully the budda i've got on the way will send me in a different direction.

13. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

There's a soundclip on custom by cougar of one of their amps..that sound dead on srv in come on.

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hate to sound like a broken record but check out the Tim pedal. I just did a demo of it on my youtube site.

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I suggest a Monsterpiece Classic for the early Hendrix tones, and a good silicon fuzzface for the later tones. Also get a good Wah, Ocavia, and a good Univibe. Play with those, and you will get pretty much every Hendrix tone. Ceriatone makes a copy of his jtm45-100 heads for low cash. Get six. Get 12 4x12" cabs. Electric Church man. Feel the colors. Experience the SOUND. Marry your guitar.

Good luck.

dk

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

My experience has been that the narrow single coil pickups of both stratocasters and telescasters have the ability to critically bring out the sound of the woods of the particular guitar that they are installed in. As a result, each Strat has its own personality, and the variation in sound from one Strat to the next is mesmerizing. It boils down to trying as many Strats as you can find, and you will notice the difference in sounds. Sure, pickup differences can account for a good amount of tonal variation, as does the amp. A good place to start is to audition the guitar before it is even plugged in, in a quiet room if possible. The next step is to try the guitar with various amps, and I find that that the Fender Bassman reissue or brown faced Vibroverb to sound quite good at getting you close to getting there and can be found used for reasonable prices, provided that you don't find them too loud. As strings get old the tone changes also, and Fender Strats change as the strings get dead. But, as I said before, the basic acoutics of the Strat body and neck are crucial in achieving this type of sound accurately.

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

For the "funky Jimi" rhythm sound you MUST try a fuzzface with your guitar rolled down!

It was an "a-ha!" moment for me
    :jo
    since I've been tryin to get that sound with overdrives and amps.

It is edgy and wirey with a good deal of sizzle and grind, but clean. Great for funky blues.

18. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I am liking the bjf drd for some jimi tunes, but the sunface nkt275 takes it for most everything else.

:agree

19. kakev

kakev Member

Yeah, sunface really does the trick. With period correct strat and Marshall amp shouldn't be that difficult to get in the ballpark. One thing missing is the insane volume..