• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Funny how no one clones metal panels

soldano16

OK - there's SOMEONE out there I guess but fundamentally isn't everything claiming to be a plexi clone?

Well my '72 metal panel has more gain than my '68 plexi and I would imagine a lot of folks would actually prefer the '72 sound. It's not hugely different but when you crank them, the '68 is smoother. The '72 has more bite and hair. I read just very recently on the internet that in the Doyle book, which I don't have, the '72 Super Lead is referred to as "the animal".

IMHO - lot's of folks would really enjoy the bit of extra gain of the metal panel.

b2sc

The Marshall plexi 1987RI (at least the pre-fx loop models) were actually based around a 1972 model year circuit, not the earlier 1960s models.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
OK - there's SOMEONE out there I guess but fundamentally isn't everything claiming to be a plexi clone?

Well my '72 metal panel has more gain than my '68 plexi and I would imagine a lot of folks would actually prefer the '72 sound. It's not hugely different but when you crank them, the '68 is smoother. The '72 has more bite and hair. I read just very recently on the internet that in the Doyle book, which I don't have, the '72 Super Lead is referred to as "the animal".

IMHO - lot's of folks would really enjoy the bit of extra gain of the metal panel.
I have owned and or tried about every vintage marshall known to man. My old 1972 50 watter was by FAR the best Marshall IMO. (If you are into all out rock/hard rock tones)

I also believe the Aiken Invader is/was pretty much a clone of the 1972 metal panel amp.

Roe

there's a lot of takes on the 69 plexis out there and these are not very different from the early 70s plexis. differences are pretty slight, a few different component and decreased negative feedback (and removed .68uf v2a catode bypass cap).
I'm pretty much running 1971 specs in my jmp 50 lead now

DGDGBD

that one extra .68 bypass cap added to the cathode of v2 adds a lot of additional gain.

Geetarpicker

I recently built a '68 Metro 50 watt kit to '70 specs to match an amp I used to own. I cut the extra hole in the top for the 3rd preamp capacitor, something only the metal panel ones had and set up the rest of the circuit to the later metal panel specs. Yep, it looks like a plexi but it has the later metal panel tweaks. GK

drewl

Yeah, there's really not alot of difference between the plexi's and the later metal panel 1987's.
I a bunch of clones I've built I make the extra gain stage footswitchable with a relay so you can go from a plexi to a 2204, add two footswitchable post phase master volumes and you've got a very versatile amp!

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I believe Doyle's book says the '72 50 watt JMP metal panel is the gnarly one, not a Superlead.

First of all, the differences between the "metal" and "Plexi" panel marshalls are VERY small. Only a small handfull of component values changed to give them a slightly brighter, gainier sound.

Also, 68 and 69 marshalls are copied all over the place and thats right when the Metal panels started.

From what I can tell, the terminology is incorrectly slanted towards "Plexi" since thats the buzz word for old marshalls, but for cloning, I think there is plenty of representations of ALL the eras of non-master Marshall amps.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
I also believe the Aiken Invader is/was pretty much a clone of the 1972 metal panel amp.
What he said, and actually its the Aiken Intruder at 30 watts with a pair of EL34's that is closer. Amp has a Plexi / Ali switch on it to change the voicing - the ali is the more aggressive of the two.

sixty2strat

They are cheap is why. you can still get I an unbuggered JMP for less than most non kit clones. I got rid of my jtm45 ri. saw an old JMP sounded way better, not the same exactly but the old 1987 was just better. I have 3 of them and have used them since 1983 and never had a problem getting any plexi tones( hendrix, zpe cream free beck). they sound so right never every felt they were lesser till the INTERNET. So amp makers feed on the legend and the high cost of a 68 plexi. When fro 1200 you could get a nice 74 50 watter................sell the sizzle not the steak

Trending Topics