Funny Musicians "Friend" story!

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
In the early part of Dec., I saw a guitar on Musicians Friend's website on sale that I've been interested in but, by the time I got around to placing my order, I missed the sale by a few days. So, when I got around to it I called them a few weeks later asking if they could sell the guitar at the previous sale price. I've been a pretty good customer over the years and figured they might want to keep my business...but they told me they couldn't sell the guitar at that price and make a profit. In the past, they practically bent over backwards to make the sale work for me, but not this time for some reason. I even spoke to a manager too.

Fast forward to today, I just noticed the guitar was on sale again...at the previous sale price they said they could not do and still make a profit. Amazing! They've always been pretty straight with me in the past.

Oh well, I waited them out and just placed my order. They just don't seem to be willing to bend over backwards to make a sale like they used to. Anyone else notice that? In this economy, I thought every sale would be important to them? Not so Musician "Friend"ly as they used to be!

Anyway, my new Jaguar is on its way...$899 seems like a good deal on these:

kiki_90291

Maybe they only go on sale when Fender is giving them a rebate or something that offsets the price drop? No rebate, they lose money . . .

DustyRhodesJr

They have tightened up for sure.

A few years ago, they would give you 15% add'l off nearly any sale guitar
they had. Now if it is on sale, that is the lowest they will go.

Godspeed64

Sounds to me like it's your fault for missing it. Maybe their reasoning was off, but you did miss it. If everyone came to them with similar requests it will be a sale 24/7 wouldn't it?

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds to me like it's your fault for missing it. Maybe their reasoning was off, but you did miss it. If everyone came to them with similar requests it will be a sale 24/7 wouldn't it?
Yup...but in the past, they typically would have honored the sale price. Just sayin'.

Gearaddict

I've only had really good luck (good deals) with a couple dealers but with most others, all you need is to ask them to meet or exceed the competition's price.

HOWEVER, I have noticed there are no 15% off deals / coupons out there today. And I laugh at Sweetwaters and other on-line dealers "buy it now and pay in three easy installment type plans", like this is worth something? MSRP or MAP is a joke. So is listing the full retail price and your "you save $250 BS", which is really the true retail price of what the guitar really sells for, to unsuspecting, naive customers.

ixnay

They have tightened up for sure.

A few years ago, they would give you 15% add'l off nearly any sale guitar
they had. Now if it is on sale, that is the lowest they will go.
I've received 20% off on a couple guitars in the last month just by asking.

Maybe it depends on who you talk to...

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I've received 20% off on a couple guitars in the last month just by asking.

Maybe it depends on who you talk to...
It really does. I wanted to get MF to price match an insanely low price on a Fender amp once. I knew it would be tough because it was very low at the other place. I had a few people tell me they couldn't do it at all because it was below invoice and I had one say they could match but not do the extra 10%. After calling back a few times I found someone that did the price match plus 10%. I know of many people calling that were unable to get the same thing.

Iceman6937

I believe MF has tightened things up considerably. Back when everybody else was blowing out 2013 Gibsons, I got a price match from them (email) and STILL had to spend 10 minutes on the phone getting them to honor it. They are also enforcing the return policy that requires the buyer to pay shipping back to MF in some cases.

luv

They must be changing some company policies, because they aren't offering the 15% as often as they used to. I started a thread about it a couple of weeks ago because I noticed the same thing. I haven't seen a 15% off discount coupon code since well before Christmas....maybe even Thanksgiving.

monty

Agreed with the poster who said the discount is from Fender.
The Summer Instant Rebates Fender has is through them.
Nice looking axe V. Enjoy!

Promit

Yeah, it looks like the MF/GC/M123 group have tightened their belts and clamped down on discounts a lot. They've been losing money for years and I guess the parent (Bain Capital) is tired of it. That take15 page linked above is not running now, it's nearly two years old...

ixnay

Yeah, it looks like the MF/GC/M123 group have tightened their belts and clamped down on discounts a lot. They've been losing money for years and I guess the parent (Bain Capital) is tired of it. That take15 page linked above is not running now, it's nearly two years old...
That will be a tough sell for a customer base that has been conditioned for many years to expect a 15-20% discount.

I imagine quite a few consumers will opt to pass on the purchase if they have to pay full price.

Promit

That will be a tough sell for a customer base that has been conditioned for many years to expect a 15-20% discount.
The price aggression was what really kept them apart from Zzounds, Sweetwater, AMS, Amazon, and all the smaller suppliers. The question is where do I shop when price differences are no longer part of the consideration? Hmm. MF is offering free shipping with no minimum right now, which is about the only hard currency advantage.

OP, Congrats on your new guitar. I have been in the same situation with exactly the same guitar (in the same color even) and I called MF when the $899 sale wasn't happening. The guy I spoke to was very friendly and said he was sure he can override whatever price I saw on the website. When we got down to the item, he said he is sorry he cannot do it. I took this as an indication that it is beyond their power to drop this guitar further.

Anyway, I still managed to acquire one, and I am playing it right now as I type this to you :D Incredible instrument! (Once you sort out the mandatory Jag bridge issues, of course).