• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Funny Speaker noise... help?

elkym

I had a guy mod my Peavey a little while ago... he set the cathode bias a little hotter...

Seems like it's louder now-- that doesn't bother me...

But now when I hit about 7 or 8 on my volume knob... I get fizzy/fuzzy/spitty sounds from my speaker... is this 'cone cry'?

Last edited:

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Hard to say.The easiest way to find out if its a speaker issue would be to hook up the amp to another cab. Bob

phsyconoodler

Peavey what?I don't know of any cathode biased Peavey amps.
Most cathode biased amps are already plenty hot,and making that relationship even hotter is a recipe for disaster.

rockon1

Peavey what?I don't know of any cathode biased Peavey amps.
Most cathode biased amps are already plenty hot,and making that relationship even hotter is a recipe for disaster.
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Classic 20. Maybe he just meant biased it(fixed bias) hotter? Bob

Last edited:

rockon1

It's Peavey ValveKing. Sorry about that lack of clarity.
Thats a fixed bias amp. Perhaps he changed the bias resistor to run the tubes hotter. Bring it to a music store and plug it into another cab if you dont know anybody with a cab to try. Bob

Trending Topics