Funny Things That Have Happened To You During A Recording...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gainiac, Oct 10, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I'll start:

I was cutting the solo to a particularly cool ballad in one of my older bands.

Just as I was starting the opening phrases, because I was really feelin' it, I started to choke on some spit that I hadn't swallowed.

So the opening phrases sound like I was tripping over my hands.

Needless to say I nailed the rest of it and decided to keep playing all the way through the next chorus, much to the singers dismay because we all know you can't SOLO while the singer sings!!! (It actually worked out quite nice because it pushed him to a whole other level.)

Anyhow, I wanted to punch the entrance but the engineer, (bass player) said NFW, it flows too well........

2. boobtoob

boobtoob Member

Just had written an overly-sensative, emotional, sappy love-sick song about a recent break up with a girl friend...didn't have the vocals down very well yet (ie: I sounded like sh#t).

Walked out of the sound proof room (closet in my bedroom) with tears almost rolling down my cheeks when...I look up and most of my family had come back from shopping and let themselves in.

I turned 10 colors of red. They tried to act like they didn't hear, but by their body language, I knew they had been there the whole time.:rotflmao

3. wooldl

wooldl Member

Recording a new tune last night (my sloppy-copy) and came up with some great off-the-cuff guitar lines while jamming along with my rhythm tracks...........I had not hit record.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought it was funny.

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Hahaha....How many of those songs actually make it to completion? That's is a good one!

5. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Yup, I HATE that!!!!

6. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Everytime we started to record - I magically lose all my talent. So they just now let me play and don't tell me when they are recording and we found out - I have no talent at all.

So they asked me to play bass - less strings I guess.

Still no talent.

So they asked me to leave the band.

So I make up for lack of talent with buying shitload of guitars and gear - no bass.

All this from my very first recording attempt.

7. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Well.. it's more HORRIFIC than "funny"

Back when my studio was based around Adats - I was backing up a full day's worth of bass and drums. Killer performances by expensive session musicians !!

I accidentally put the Master tape in the slave machine and a BLANK tape in the master machine. I then proceeded to make a PERFECT digital copy of a blank tape - over top of all my drums and bass !!!:jo

THAT - my friends - is a mistake you only make ONCE

8. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

OUCH!!!!

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, this is mildy amusing, I suppose.
    About 1969 I left a session with Mike Vernon producing and went downstairs (at Decca's Broadhurst Gardens Studios in London) and ordered a Taxi.
    I hadn't realized that Mike had moved studios to 1, I think, which opened out onto the entrance foyer. It was about 11:30 at night and I guess that there were four people in the whole complex. He was doing vocal overdubs with a certain American singer.

So, I'm standing there and I'm a big one for tapping my feet to work out drum patterns (I'm not a drummer). About ten minutes into my wait and Studio 1 door burst open nearly giving me heart failure, it was Mike, agitated. He was relieved it was me because the singer (who shall be nameless) was convinced that a tap - dancing ghost was in the building - which was a great laugh to him and Derek the engineer until they heard it coming through the mic too.

I have another concerning Dave Gilmour at Abbey Road but that can wait.

Best, Pete.

10. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

You can hear my phone ringing in the intro to Limelight that I recorded. Right when the drums kick in. I didn't notice it untill I listened to the recording with my iPod.

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Now that would suck.

12. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I was recording a demo of a song I was working on. My wife was out gardening in the backyard. I was recording in my livingroom "studio." The song contained a section in which the main character describes, in the first person, being picked up by a woman in a parking lot who proceeds to seduce him in the back of a van. The song was intended to be humorous, and about the dumb things people do in their youth. The story in the song was a complete work of fiction. It was NOT autobiographical by any means. This "seduction" section was not sung but spoken, over a break down section in the backing tracks. So I'm standing there with my headphones on and cranked, talking into the microphone about "she did this" and "I said that" and "she grabbed this," and the story starts getting kind of hot and heavy and I suddenly get a funny feeling and I turn around and my wife has come in from the garden and is standing there listening and looking at me with a quizzical and not-too-happy look on her face.

I don't record demos when people are home anymore.

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I was once asked to "cut a quick guitar solo" on a theme song for a public access TV show a buddy was recording. I show up and plug my PRS into a 5150 a 212 Fender cabinet (already miced up too!). I cut a solo, then cut a harmony to it, and we're done. The amp sounded kinda pinched and bassless, but okay for leads....We "discovered" (after the cuts were done) both the speakers were fried ! Gotta dig that tape up, as it sounded darn nice with all that "free compression".

;)

14. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I used to get nervious and choke up as soon as the record light went on. Now that I record virtually everything, it's just natural and smooth.

15. jaycee

jaycee Member

Me and some friends laugh whenever we talk about this. My cover band went into a small studio for a live recording of some tunes, just to have as a little demo.

I was having some technical difficulties and the engineer dude comes over to try to help me out. Now, he was a pretty goofy looking dude and quite effeminate.

I was standing there with a beer in my right hand and my left hand was holding the neck down near the nut. Just as he bends over to check one of my cords, I swing around to talk to someone on my right and smash him point blank in the forehead with the front of the headstock. :jo <----exactly like that. And let me add that I swung around quickly and hit him reeeeaaallly hard.

His right foot staggered back, he grabs his forehead with his left hand while his right hand flies up in the air (in a 'praise the lord' type gesture) and lets out a loud OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Then, in an almost teary voiced tone, he asks "did I draw blood"?

Yes he did. He had three little dots of blood in the middle of his forehead from the string ends coming out of the tuners. I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

16. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Another one..........

I was blowing a fit in the room because my Plexi had just smoke-checked itself and the talkback was still on.

Anyhow I throw rather animate fits, jumping up and down, sailor honed profanity etc......

It made it to the recording in various areas serving "artistic" functions.

Sneaky engineers!!! (Are the best!!!)

17. g-nem

g-nem Member

A LONG time ago an engineer friend and I were recording a song with a bass player friend of mine- kind of a jamiriquoi'ish thing - and he needed a flute part. The drummer's GF played flute so she came over to record the part. So me, the bassist and the engineer are in the basement and she is having a REAL hard time playing these mostly simple but rhythmically compicated 16th note lines. After about 30 min we're all frustrated, and after another bad take, my engineer friend looks at the girl and says

"why don't you just play the f***ing part, b**ch?"

At which point she runs up the stairs crying her head off and me and the bass player look at each other in amazement. Then the engineer says "I was just kidding!"

18. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Ouch!!! Even if he was just kidding!!! Did he know her?

19. g-nem

g-nem Member

He kind of knew her. My friends and I were all just as shocked as she was- I mean it was completely out of the blue.

I'm going to send this thread to him so he can see how far his fame has reached!

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I was doing a guitar/bass/drums jazz trio session in a studio that was once a church.

The front doors were unlocked and even though there was a sign outside the door that said "This is now a private residence....no entry please", two guys came in during a take and asked to use the bathroom!