Furman SPB-8 users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nashvillesteve, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, I'm getting this unit to augment my other large pedalboard. My PP2 is pretty much full, so the power outlets on this unit (both 9v and AC) are very useful.

I have read bad things about the quality of the patch bay (that it sucks tone and is subject to going bad relatively easily). I am not 100% sure I want to use this part of the board, but I could replace the jacks and it might be a very cool feature to have.

Any input?

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I dont have a need for the patch bay on mine but I have used it before with no Issues, The Furman board is great IMO!

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have used the patch bay over the years, no issues.

FWIW, I haven't used it in a few years now.

And just to note, I have been using this same pedalboard - and using it *hard* - since 2001 or 2002. Still working and looking great.

4. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I've used my Furman with and without the patch bay and can't tell any difference in the sound.

One of the best music purchases I've made. Really makes setup a breeze.

5. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Buried inside of my home-built pedalboard are the guts of an SPB-8. I'm using the power outlets, the 9-volt adapters and the patch bay. I also can't hear a difference in sound when using or bypassing the patch bay.

Just my $0.02 US

6. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Hey j_hotch

How does one remove the guts from the SPB-8 to use it elsewhere?

gb

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Stevoreen stole my post.... :D...I couldn't agree more!

8. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I have never used the patch bay, so I can't comment on that, but I'm very happy with my purchase. It's a been a great addition to my rig.

David

9. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

There are six or eight screws which hold the metal-plated box of the SPB-8 onto the big piece of velcroed plexiglass which makes up the pedalboard.

I just removed those screws, made a couple of brackets and re-mounted the box underneath the upper tier of my homemade pedalboard.

Quick, simple, easy!

10. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Mine has been holding up well. Some minor issues with the DC power jacks not making a great contact and the supplied dc power cables being too short.
    I'm going to be modifying mine sometime soon and adding two midi jacks to it.