Fuse blowing

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dbx, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Hey there...sold a buddy an Epiphone Pacemaker amp (think Gibson Skylark GA-5T)...it recently started blowing fuses. Up to that point it was fine, he was playing it over the weekend and it died. Just before expiring he said he heard some crackling then silence...no burning smell or arching...in my preliminary research it seems like it may be the power transformer...we swapped tubes out with no effect. Has anyone done troubleshooting on this type of problem? Any sources of replacement pt besides Mercury Magnetics? Thanks...

:BEER

2. samwheat

samwheat Member

Maybe there some wire that is chafed (exposure) and shunting to ground

3. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip...don't know when I'll get hands on..but I'll be sure to check that out...don't you normally get some kind of warning event before a power transformer blows?

4. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

If it was the correct fuse I'm not too worried about the power transformer.

If it blows fuses with no output tubes then it's either the rectifier or filter caps. If it hasn't had a cap job in the last 15 years it's probably the caps.

-Jon

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Replace the fuse with the proper type and turn on the amp without any tubes installed. Please report back.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

This could be a number of things. I wouldn't go ordering any parts until its been troubleshooted (troubleshot? :) DJ

7. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the input guys...I'll have to get under the hood to verify all of your suggestions...

Hey Rich...we did try that and the fuse still blew...(this is using a 1.5A fast-blo fuse)

:(

8. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

...agreed, thanks...