1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

fusion lick...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesmain, Oct 13, 2008.

1. fender753

fender753 Member

I learned that one a while ago, I think its pretty cool, that website has some nice licks.

2. strat68

strat68 Member

I could have sworn before there was tab (pictured in youtube video) right after he did it the slow time with counting?

3. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

It sounds cool when he plays it fast, but when he slowed it down it just sounded, I dunno, strange. Maybe I don't listen to enough fusion to get it :dunno

4. JonR

JonR Member

It's mostly a standard mix (over the given E7 chord) of E major pent and blues scale, with the exception of a C natural note (2nd string fret 13). That's the one "odd" thing about it - that and the occasional big leaps perhaps.
    E major pent = E F# G# B C#
    E blues = E G A Bb B D
    All together = E F# G G# A Bb B C# D. That's 9 notes!
    The C natural doesn't really belong (it's chromatic) - but used in such a way here that it sounds like a passing sidestep out of key (and back). And there's some repetition of melodic patterns which helps the whole thing hang together.

Here's a detailed look at it:
    Code:
    |-------12-|15-16-12-14----------12-|--------------------|-----------------
    |-12-14----|------------15-14-13----|--------------------|-----12----------
    |----------|------------------------|15-14-13-------12~~~|~~14----12b------
    |----------|------------------------|---------14---------|-----------12-12-
    |----------|------------------------|------------16------|-----------------
    |----------|------------------------|--------------------|-----------------
       5 6   1  b3 3  1  2  b7 6  b6 1   b5 4  3  1  6  b3..... 4  5 b3(3) 1 1

Scale degrees are underneath, and you can see how it combines major pent (1 2 3 5 6) with blues scale (b3, 4, b5, b7) - plus that odd b6.
    You can also see the repeated 3-note chromatic idea (15-14-13) which helps it make sense - but when slowed down that C really sticks out as "wrong".

However...
    The E7 context in which C would make sense is the E altered scale (common jazz choice for an E7 chord in key of A minor):
    E F G G# Bb C D (1 b2 b3 3 b5 b6 b7)
    You can see that the 2nd half of bar 2 and the first half of bar 3 could represent this (with a couple of passing notes).

So the lick is mainly a standard conventional blues/rock/country mix of major pent and blues, with an altered section thrown in the middle.
    The E altered scale normally resolves to A - and that's kind of what it does here, as the notes in the 2nd half of bar 3 are E, C# and G: 1-6-b3 of E, but 5 3 and b7 of an A7 chord.

So that's the story (IMO!): even tho the backing is a simple E7 chord, the lick is suggesting an E7 -> E altered -> A7 -> E phrase.
    The lesson is that these notes are not chosen at random! There's a concept behind them, and that's the logic we hear, even tho we may not know exactly what's going on.