Fuzz advice needed!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by southpawmax, Apr 5, 2008.

1. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

So I have wanted a fuzz forever, but never bothered to buy one. While I have looked into a bunch I haven't had many oppurtunities to spend time with some different fuzz pedals either. My new side project though will require me to have some specific fuzz tones that I need help finding. I am looking for something that will be able to make HUGELY fuzzed out distorted tones that will feedback like crazy if used with single coils and will provide a glorious, chaotic wall of noise. At the same time, I would like to be able to dial in some smooth, rich and creamy fuzz tones from the pedal. I would like not to spend more than $150, but I would splurge if need be.
    Thanks in advance!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have three fuzz pedals on board. They sound different from each other and could not be interchangeable.

One that I have that fits the description you gave is the Frantone The Sweet. It can get really over the top and out of control, and it can get creamy. It can absolutely nail Clapton's "SWLABR" sound.

3. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

I love my Prescription Electronics Experience. It is one of the best for what you want. You likely won't find one for $150 used but I have seen them go for $175 - $200 if you want to spend a little more. It has a destroying fuzz, probably one of the best octave-ups I have heard, and a "swell" mode that is like backwards guitar. It makes your amp sound like it died but is clawing at the soil to get back out. Check out Fatback's demo:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=7&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Check out Fatback's face at 1:10 for the "swell" mode craziness.

4. RenoRattler

RenoRattler Member

5. fishlog

fishlog Member

I have been ona search for a Fuzz as well. i have been trying out some of Devi Ever's stuff (effector 13). I tried the Hyperion, great Fuzz and relatively less expensive. However Devi's better stuff is around the $200 range. Check out some of the MRX sized pedals Devi Makes they run about $100.

Right now I am looking into a Zvex Fuzz factory mainly because I went to a Stephen Malkmus (Pavement) show last night and he used one.

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Lovepedal BBB07 is the most versatile fuzz out there. It really is incredible. The only problem, Sean not making it now.
    They do show up In the Emporium however.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Go with an Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff. Sounds like exactly what you're describing, is relatively inexpensive, and solid. Don't spend a huge amount of cash on your first fuzz; they're an acquired taste.

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The fuzzes I have are more or less your standard vintage fair. My Sweet Sound Pro Bender, which is capable of a pretty spongy, saturated, raspy kind of fuzz tone, is just a Sola Sound Tonebender MKll clone, so really not far off the beaten path as far as vintage fuzzes go. I have an Analog Man Sunface and a Beano Boost (which, I guess, is sort of like having a Sunlion, sort of). If you wanted to nail Clapton's Cream fuzz tone, the Sunface is the pedal to get. You could always pick up a used Zvex Fuzz Factory (although I haven't gotten around to trying one yet). You could try the M.I. Neo Fuzz, or some of the Monsterpiece stuff if you're looking for a modern type fuzz (may the MJM Foxey Fuzz might work). For the far out crazy stuff, check out the Death By Audio site. And for an all-out oscillation frenzy, take a look at LAL effects. You can find them on buyanalogman,com.

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    lovepedal karl is a cool fuzz than can do relatively traditional fuzz as well as cool ring-mod type sounds at higher settings...

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

BIIIIIIIIIIIIG MUFF.

BIIIIIIIIIIIG MUFF.

big muff.

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Another vote for the Karl. Love that pedal

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

MJM Foxey Fuzz

13. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yes, all the chaos and sweetness you yearn for can be found in the Big Muff.

14. IAE

IAE Member

i have about 14 fuzzes and out of them i would choose the NYC big muff to recommend to ya'll.

15. sega

sega Member

Listen to these demos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzCAEUoPEw

http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_soundsamples.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh5600X-adc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ouy3pN3c-E&feature=user

of course check more youtube videos....

16. sandman

sandman Member

get a Fender Blender, it'll blow your brains out...literally. just got the real one the other day but RI demos seem really convincing...that should be less than 150.

OR...for creamy 'normal' fuzz the new 4 knob Tonefactor/Mojo Hand Huckleberry - 149$ promo price.

just my 2 denarius...but, Fuzz pedals are too unique to buy from someone's advice. Have fun.

17. Josh O

Josh O Member

18. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

There are really only 3 or 4 Fuzz flavors in the world...

Big Muff --> Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, White Stripes

These are Silicon based Fuzzes that tone to be a bit brighter & louder than their Germanium cousins.

Tone Bender --> Led Zeppelin, British rock, Black Keys

Very unique sound, that can get raspy and bright but in a good way

Fuzz Face --> Hendrix, Eric Johnson

Warm, Germanium Fuzz that has the added bonus of being left on all the time 'cause you can clean up your tone simply by tweaking your guitar's volume knob.

SuperFuzz --> Sonic Youth might have used these.

An Octave Up style Fuzz

19. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

I'd plug in a big muff and a fuzz factory and see which one you like. They both give you that huge wall of fuzz, but in completely different ways. I've got both, and I've had them for about 3 years... I'll never sell either. For what it's worth, my muff is MJM is a Foxey Fuzz.

Good Luck.