• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fuzz, Amp Settings, and YOU!

When using fuzz is your amp set:

• Clean As a Whistle

• Kinda Clean, Kinda Not

• Malcolm Dirty

• Dirty

• Saturated

• Watch The World Burn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Extra Credit:

1. Mention what amp you are using.
2. Do you stack with another pedal for your gain tones?
3. Do you use your guitar volume knob to attain clean-up?
4. If you don't like fuzz don't post, that's not what this thread is about.

For my part, I'm mostly using either a Vox or an Orange set Kinda Clean, Kinda Not. I don't stack - like ever. I use my guitar volume a ton.

Last edited:

macrossgeorge

Silver Supporting Member
Clean as a Whistle

1. 1965 Dual Showman Head into 1x12 pine open back with Jensen blackbird 100 alnico (well broken in)
2. I do some stacking sometimes, default is not to.
3. Full blast on all my volume and tone knobs most of the time.
4. I like fuzz. My pedalboard sports an EHX Big Muff Pi nano and a Lovepedal Bonetender.

ekafroops

Nowhere near the headroom can be cool, but I think somewhere around 'pushed' is best.

1. Lil Dawg Black Flag JTM50; Lil Dawg 20w 5E3; Winfield Dust Devil. Celestion Blue Alnico, Celestion Cream Alnico, Eminence Red Fang, Jensen P12Q.
2. Much stacking, results in more saturation rather than less.
3. Depends on the fuzz. Gigging setup has superfuzz and muff types, not doing much cleaning up at the input with those.
4. Okay.

TCrooker

Clean as a whistle.

1. Boss Katana head or Quilter 101 Mini (w/ Jensen Blackbird or Celestion Greenback loaded cabs)
2. Always stacked with a low gain OD in front.
3. Only when I'm testing out new fuzzes.
4. l like fuzz, especially the EHX Triangle BMP and EQD Dirt Transmitter circuits.

Non-rabbit

I run everything into a completely clean Hot Rod Deluxe IV.

Basically 95% of the time I'm running an SD-1 at low gain into an EQD Cloven Hoof at maximum gain, and I use the volume and tone knobs on my guitar to change the sound.

Edit: just wanted to add that this is a proven setup as far as fuzz viability goes; it works great with a full band. I absolutely live on my volume and tone knobs and can get basically any dirt tone I want with just those two pedals set the way they are.

Last edited:

PhuzzphayzZ

Traynor combo "Canadian Marshall"
Clean Channel, Dirty-Clean Channel

Lecture:
Fuzz was used when amps were cleaner. Fuzz went out of favor as amps became THE distortion. BlackKeys and JWhite- what kind of amp tone did they use?

Soliloquy:
I started Fuzzin after TGP recently, so, I come to the scene bright eyed and bushy tailed after a 20 year hibernation. My first Fuzz thought was to bet Jimi tones, so, FFace>cookin amp.

ok, great, that's that

But then I start goin down the Fuzz hole, and, it seems to me to be a TGP phenomenon, so to speak, the 'community' of FuzzUsers, many of which are going into a clean amp. So, is there a point to playing an FZ1a into a blazing amp?

What do we learn by going back and forth between CleanChannel and Dirty-CleanChannel? With a BMuff, say, it's night-and-day. ALL the high freq bristles go away as soon as you add amp grit.

So many of my Fuzzes lose there absolute final wildness as soon as I add the Dirty-CleanChannel.

Merkin (FuzzRite) is a great example. Sounds 'manageable' in the Dirty-Clean, but has the typical 'bzzzzzzzzz' in the Clean.

In a band mix, it's even worse. Who can tell you're playing a Buzzaround, into a cookin amp, with band flailing at loud volume? It just sounds like kick ass Distortion.

Super fuzzy Fuzzes will still sound like Fuzz, but, again, with band flailing, much of what survives sounds like 'eh' to the audience, and maybe even you in the 'live' environment.

Guitar volume only seems to work on 2Transistor Fuzz, with exceptions.

I have a peculiar relationship with my CleanChannel, so, I'm mostly ('live', always) in my Dirty-Clean channel, and in my experience, most of my FancyFuzz doesn't translate well at gigs, as such.

FFaces get lost in the mix very easily.

LAST GIG: RogerMayer TC Axis- the 'solution' Fuzz- MADE for 'applications'- cuts thru the mix like lazer- it worked, but I'm still trying to process its circuit in my brain- I just don't get it at all (buffers? transistor switching?)...

SOVTEK BigMufDLX- has a guitar signal 'Blend' control so it actually comes thru the mix. I use it for a particular chunkachunka song we do and it cut nice (1 guitar band)...

TrebleBooster-KarmaSutureSi: these two cut cuz they be da treble

majishin

Silver Supporting Member
Clean into BF type amps, a lil dirty into a tweed type. Don't really use any other amps.

1. Wooly Coats mkII or Sweet Amplification 5E3
2. Very seldom stack fuzz, usually just with an octave pedal like the Believe
3. Of course
4. Observed

Also, Hi Tom (it's Page)

Silent Sound

Depends on how much fuzz I'm using and what amp. Sometimes I like to use a little fuzz, and then push the preamp hard and use the level of the fuzz pedal for even more amp gain. It gets a beautiful mix of even and odd order harmonics. Sometimes I like to max the fuzz and have to use a clean amp to keep the signal under control. Sometimes it's a little of both.

Generally, for live use, I keep the amp clean and max out the fuzz. Though that's less for tone and more for simplicity reasons. In the studio, anything goes.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Extra Credit:

3. Do you use you guitar volume knob to attain clean-up?

For my part, I'm mostly using either a Vox or an Orange set Kinda Clean, Kinda Not. I don't stack - like ever. I use my guitar volume a ton.
1. I'm an amp whore, so London Power Session, Jim Kelley Line amp, various Marshalls including the Dumble modded one, Valco dual output, Keedy Brown Deluxe with KT66s, Randall Diavlo 1w, Princeton Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb 68 recently...
2. Rarely stack fuzz, although the JHS Calhoun has both. Mostly, though, fuzz is set high enough to not need pushing.
3. Most of my fuzzes don't clean up completely, but yes, I'll use the guitar volume to change the timbre or amount of fuzz. Recently been playing with the DAM Tonebender Mk II again, it'll clean up a bit, although not completely.

bamalam

99% of the time with fuzz I’m using a Marshall JCM800

Tonebenders and Big Muffs, clean - kinda clean

Fuzz Face - dirty / saturated

Never really stack (once in a blue moon I might stick a rangemaster in front of a muff)

Use volume knob with Fuzz Faces, Vox Tonebenders/mk1.5 tonebenders

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
Dr.Z Route 66 and Traynor YBA-1A, kinda clean, kinda not, sometimes stack, sometimes not, Carcoas, Bliss Factory and Solidgoldfx I6W9, for my fuzz, guitar knobbies volume and tone set to taste.

reprove

Silver Supporting Member
1. Orange Rockerverb MKiii and/or AD30r set to kinda clean, kinda not(maybe more kinda not)
2. Pelican Pelitaur and Fender The Pelt are first on pedalboard and run into a Fairfield Barbershop Millennium which is set sorta edgy. Eqd Hoof and vintage Bubble Font muff are last in the drive/fuzz chain and i usually boost those with either a Plumes or Westwood.
3. All the time. My guitars volume knob is my best friend which is great but also sad. ☹

Cerpin Taxt

1.) DSL40C is currently getting a lot of play, but I also work in an old Carvin X100B combo and a Peavey Classic 50 (410+115 cabs). Typically run all of my amps at an edge of break up level, although I will use the gain channels on each from time to time. Not usually with fuzz.
2.) I occasionally kick on the DOD250 or a Klone after the fuzz. I occasionally rotate a Boss OD-3, and a TS808 clone in where the DOD250 sits in my chain.
3.) Don't usually ride the VOL knob with fuzz, although I do have a BYOC fuzz face that does the thing pretty good. I do often clean up with the VOL knob when using each amp's gain channel.

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
The answer, like many others, is that it depends.

For instance, I use an amp I built myself. It’s a single-ended EL84 amp in the tradition of a Tweed champ, but voiced more towards what you’d expect from a non-MV Marshall in the Preamp. It also strategically knocks the signal down hitting the EL84 grid using a few resistors swaps and a 1MB “Drive” control (forms a resistive divider with the 220k grid leak resistor).

For a Fuzz Face type, I’ll push the amp past the edge of breakup (I can vary the amp volume and “Drive” to get the right amp volume and dirt) and set the Fuzz Face with the Fuzz about 2:00-3:00, Pre-gain (I put a 250kA control on the input of all my fuzzes) around 1:30-3:00, and Level around 2:00.

For a MK II Tonebender type, ill back the “Drive” off the amp a little bit for less dirt and tweak the Attack, Pre-Gain, and Level so that I get big sustain and crunch. Sometimes I’ll use a MK II as a fuzzy overdrive as well, reducing the Attack and Pre-gain accordingly.

I don’t consider the Big Muff a Fuzz, but when I engage my Ram’s Head Clone, I Set the “Drive” on the amp to 0, and turn the volume up I hit the point where I have no clean headroom left, and then set Sustain to 1:30-2:30, Tone to 11:00-1:00 (I have a switch that flattens our the mid-scoop so tone control varies depending on the guitar), and Level around Unity.

In my experience, Fuzz Faces cleanup the best (when properly biased), Tonebenders usually require lower Q1 voltages and a Pre-gain control to clean up well (at full on fuzz fury, they don’t cleanup as much as just get less dirty), and Big Muffs just get less loud. I do use my volume control to vary the dirt.

Only fuzz I have in my rig is the Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face Mini.
- Fender ‘68 Custom Vibrolux (w/ Greenbacks)
- I run the fuzz with volume and gain maxed, so the only thing I’ll add is a boost that pushes treble (not a classic treble booster, a modern boost that just pushes upper mids and treble) to help it cut through and trim the wooly low end.
- Heck yes, that’s the main reason I only use this fuzz face. Volume control with my PRS (humbuckers) is phenomenal.
- NA, fuzz lover here. haha

guy8string

Extra Credit:

CAVEAT: I play electric mandolin, so treat this information like the outlier it is.
1.) I run two Quilter 101 Mini amps in stereo, clean as a whistle.
2.) Sometimes I put a Kingsley Page in the chain after the Spiral Black. When they are both on, I am generally using the Page to soften the Black just a little. But I mostly use the Black by itself as the only dirt pedal.
3.) The volume pot on my emando is pretty sensitive with small movements yielding big changes, so no.
4.) Understood, Sir!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom