• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

fuzz and octavia in one pedal, who makes it?

johnh

I use an Octavia with the drive turned all the way down and a separate fuzz pedal. That's the only way that it sounds good to me.
+1. I insisted for ages in buying octave fuzz pedals where the octave effect could be turned on and off. The problem was that the settings for a good fuzz tone were always completely different than the settings for a good octave fuzz to to my ears.

Most suggestions here are not what the OP asked for which is a true octavia plus another fuzz.

I've seen them but know of none offhand.

Tons of fuzzes have switchable octaves but that is not relevant if we take the OP at his word.

Personally I would buy them separately so as to get good quality for everything. The OP seems willing to compromise on an awful lot of things just to get it all in one pedal, one compromise being an inability to find a product at present. :)

But if you buy separately you can get an elite setup effortlessly. And you can leave one home sometimes for certain gigs.

tubekingsley

Most suggestions here are not what the OP asked for which is a true octavia plus another fuzz.

I've seen them but know of none offhand.

Tons of fuzzes have switchable octaves but that is not relevant if we take the OP at his word.

Personally I would buy them separately so as to get good quality for everything. The OP seems willing to compromise on an awful lot of things just to get it all in one pedal, one compromise being an inability to find a product at present. :)

But if you buy separately you can get an elite setup effortlessly. And you can leave one home sometimes for certain gigs.
I agree- OP wants splatty fuzz, and just because a fuzz has a bias control, doesn't mean you'll get the fuzz sound you're after. So if you get a fuzz pedal you're happy with, you can just get something like a Lovepedal Believe, and a single loop switcher. Plus, running a Fulltone Octafuzz, or some other Octavia style fuzz set properly, into another fuzz pedal, isn't really any different than using a pure octave pedal.
When I had a Octafuzz, it sounded better running into a fuzz face, than on it's own

Last edited:

FokenBusker

A friend of mine showed me a trick with Octavias where if you use a neck HB pickup and drop the tone on the unit a lot (like, dial it at around 9 o'clock) it sounds STELLAR. It takes that low end of the fuzz and adds razors to the top. Anybody else try this?

Satch Boogie

JDM Pedals Humdinger is a switchable Octave/Fuzz pedal. Silicon tonebender style fuzz side. The octave can be switched out, and then that side of the pedal can just be used as a JFET boost.

https://reverb.com/item/23232219
these are good! It's just transformerless octavia with an octave off switch. I started making these because I sincerely think this is the 1 dirt pedal I would go to for leads.
have you compared this (transformer-less) to transformer ones? specifically something like the ggg? how do they compare? so far the absolute best Octavia i have used was in my captain coconut 2 and nothing else has really came that close but i know its one of the versions with the transformer at least. the dunlop wedge was really nice too IMO but the cc2 octavia was still better. im trying to find the most authentic BOG version possible. i wonder if roger mayer had already ditched the transformer prototype during BOG shows...what do you think? i think i read somewhere that you have tried the GGG...how does the GGG do compared to the octavia clone you linked?

sorry for all the word salad. im trying to be done looking for an octavia though, im leaning toward the GGG though but not necessarily because its so affordable, ive just heard only but good things about it. i might try some different clipping diodes though in it to see if i could "improve" it a bit but who knows...i wish so bad dave from foxrox would just make the octavia from the cc2 a standalone product. i would pay ridiculous amounts of money for it. it slayed my fulltone that i thought was almost perfect at the time. i didnt really like the fulltone anymore than i did the voodoo labs one though which are both still great pedals but im trying to cover that last percentage of authenticity as i can

charmonder

have you compared this (transformer-less) to transformer ones? specifically something like the ggg? how do they compare? so far the absolute best Octavia i have used was in my captain coconut 2 and nothing else has really came that close but i know its one of the versions with the transformer at least. the dunlop wedge was really nice too IMO but the cc2 octavia was still better. im trying to find the most authentic BOG version possible. i wonder if roger mayer had already ditched the transformer prototype during BOG shows...what do you think? i think i read somewhere that you have tried the GGG...how does the GGG do compared to the octavia clone you linked?

sorry for all the word salad. im trying to be done looking for an octavia though, im leaning toward the GGG though but not necessarily because its so affordable, ive just heard only but good things about it. i might try some different clipping diodes though in it to see if i could "improve" it a bit but who knows...i wish so bad dave from foxrox would just make the octavia from the cc2 a standalone product. i would pay ridiculous amounts of money for it. it slayed my fulltone that i thought was almost perfect at the time. i didnt really like the fulltone anymore than i did the voodoo labs one though which are both still great pedals but im trying to cover that last percentage of authenticity as i can
Yea! Actually I love speaking on this and I have the GGG octavio , which I think is a fantastic pedal, its what got me so obsessed with octave fuzz in the first place. I think in short summary, the transformer version's fuzz is cruder nastier than the transformerless. I think roger mayer intended the transformerless version to be more precise but the original has a lot of character and you'll definitely notice that when you compare the sound if you have the octave off option. the transformerless is a sweet smooth lead tone in octave off mode.

I think I'll be discontinuing those octavias from the store though I think this next pedal might be the best octave up solution because you can always combine it with whatever fuzz tone you already like, at the heart is a green ringer( "clean" octave up, transformerless), preceded by a simple active low pass filter and then a clean blend around both of those so you can truly dial in the exact response, it really screams I can't wait to release it

Yea! Actually I love speaking on this and I have the GGG octavio , which I think is a fantastic pedal, its what got me so obsessed with octave fuzz in the first place. I think in short summary, the transformer version's fuzz is cruder nastier than the transformerless. I think roger mayer intended the transformerless version to be more precise but the original has a lot of character and you'll definitely notice that when you compare the sound if you have the octave off option. the transformerless is a sweet smooth lead tone in octave off mode.

I think I'll be discontinuing those octavias from the store though I think this next pedal might be the best octave up solution because you can always combine it with whatever fuzz tone you already like, at the heart is a green ringer( "clean" octave up, transformerless), preceded by a simple active low pass filter and then a clean blend around both of those so you can truly dial in the exact response, it really screams I can't wait to release it

looks sweet and thanks for the reply! got any sounds of it?

Trending Topics