Fuzz before OD for leads...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zacaoamargo, Jan 2, 2008.

1. zacaoamargo

zacaoamargo Member

Is it correct to use a fuzz pedal before an overdrive pedal to push it for leads? Would it work well?

2. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

I think it has a lot to do with how the Overdrive pedal is EQ'd .. For example, if the Overdrive has a 'V' shaped EQ, then a pedal with emphasis on mids is the way to go for a lead boost. If your overdrive is the typical tubescreamer type then I would say that a germanium fuzz or treble booster would work pretty as a lead boost ... just my $.02 :)

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Depends on the pedals. Mayo into Hot Cake works great for me like that. None come to mind right now, but many have failed and turned into mush doing that same trick. If you have the pedals try it. If you only have one and are thinking about buying another for this idea, take the pedal you have to the store when you try out pedal 2.

4. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

i use a '69 fuzz for rhythm od tones and, most recently, i've been using a hotcake with volume on full, drive off, and the mid switch on as a lead boost. So i guess i'm doing the opposite by using my od after the fuzz as a boost rather than boosting my od with a fuzz.

5. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

6. gravy

gravy Member

just got me a fuzz. my setup starts with a cot50>dirt. i will be experimenting this week with where to put the fuzz. anyone care to shed some light on what works for them and why?

7. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I have always used a fuzz first in line,(especially if a germanium fuzz)even before my wah.It just sounds smoother,and the wah keeps its range better. YMMV.

The fuzz pedals I've used seem to lose something if other pedals are feeding them.I like them boosting the OD's myself

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

byoc fuzz face>tim is pretty sweet. doesn't change the fuzz tone that much and added a lot of sustain.

9. improv4

improv4 Member

Hell Yeah!

10. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I like using Fuzz before OD... never tried it after actually because it just works that way. But Fuzz after vibe sounds the best... hands down, it just sounds way way to messy the other way..

my fav combo yet would be my BBB07 into the BJF HoneybEe.. I'll let you know if anything changes when i get the Sunlion... which i have a feeling may be my new fav pedal.

11. mudbuddy11

mudbuddy11 Member

so would you go
    guitar>wah>octave>fuzz>cot50>ds1>amp