fuzz before OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TREV FLINT, Aug 5, 2008.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Just wanted to say that I tried my Keeley Fuzz Head in front of my Keeley BD-2 and I am very impressed! I find that I am getting a really nice lead tone with both of them on. Having the Fuzz Head before the BD-2 tames the high end shrill alot, much darker sound but still articulate.
    Anyone else using there fuzz before there OD with good results?

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i was going fuzz>od>compressor for a while and it sounded good.

tonight i'm trying fuzz>compressor>OD on the advice of some other forumites.

i think most people run the OD after the fuzz

3. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Yup, Dunlop Jimi Hendrix FF into a Bad Monkey. Sounds fricken' great!

4. ManCas

ManCas Member

Yeah, same here (Zvex FF/Lovepedal 200lbs > Blackstone OD). It sounds awesome! just as you describe it, it's smoother, with more sustain, etc.

5. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

i usually run fuzz before od. but it was a trial and error thing depending on the pedal. right now its a fender fuzz wah > maxon od808 > green russian big muff. i find it that if i run any gain based pedals after the bigmuff it just makes its muddy as f*** and thats no bueno.

6. steinwand

steinwand Member

as I only use germanium fuzzes, they are always first.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Almost EVERYONE that has experience with fuzzes tends to put them first in line or just after wah. The main thing about fuzzes, they are very finicky about strength of signal into them. It's one of the few times you want that weak guitar signal into the fuzz, because you then have tons of sonic options for how much fuzz...etc. Rolling the guitar volume down for less fuzz all the way to really clean.

If the fuzz is after OD or any pedal that strengthens the signal, it tends to always sound as if the guitar were on 10, which is my least favorite (except when it sounds cool :dude) setting for fuzz. Over-the-top.

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Apart from all of the reasons mentioned above (fuzzes being "selfish" :) and wanting to go first in line - a matter of very, very low input impedance, and also a matter of properly receiving the guitar's dynamics), OD after fuzz is an idea that has always worked for me, plus OD after distortion, too - it thickens them up, sweetens and takes the occasional harsh edges off, plus adding a bit of gain that makes them fuller and meaner sounding. But you've got to be careful because the noise floor is increasing - always a case when you're stacking gains.

I am getting the best results with this technique when placing fat/tube ODs, on relatively high volumes and gain about noon (or usually less).