Fuzz Bias?

aT19er

Hey everyone,

I just started a build on a fuzz face and read about how the transistors can be biased differently. Looking at guy shots of originals I haven't seen any trim pots of any sort.

Is this something I should consider adding?

aT19er

I'm kind of hung up between some NKT275 and BC108 transistors. In either case, where would I add the trim pot to and of what value?

aT19er

I think I'm going to side with the BC108 transistors, thanks for the Fuzz Face literature.

Are there any notable differences between brands of transistors like there are in tubes?

FuzzFaceJ

the most important thing in transistor selection for a fuzz face (or any fuzz face based fuzz) would be the gain structure of each of the two transistors (or so this is what I've read from several builders)

this is apparently more important than many realize

it's a good idea to put a bias trimpot on there regardless of which transistors you choose, if anything just for the versatility it would allow

you can get tons and tons of different tones with a bias control

you should make a germ fuzz face too down the line, trust me you'll want both, they both are awesome in their own way!

Laurie

I think I'm going to side with the BC108 transistors, thanks for the Fuzz Face literature.

Are there any notable differences between brands of transistors like there are in tubes?
Yes... but as noted previously it is the gain of the transistor that is more critical.

One way to approach it is to buy a number of different transistors from different sources and install sockets in your board. Try different combinations until you find the one you like best. You'll find BC108's on eBay and on google searches.

Trust me on this - stuff that loks good "on paper" can sound like crap, and things that look like they'll never work will sound good. All in the ear of the beholder, as they say!

FuzzFaceJ

Dingo is dead on

I don't have those famous NKT transistors in my GE fuzz face, and it still sounds amazing

CavityCreep

I did check out the soundclips of Dingo's fuzzfaces - great builds, advice very much worth taking :)

Same of course goes for BMF (have been impressed with the Sisyphuzz for a while)

Trending Topics