Fuzz Box for a Fuzz Box hater.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trisonic, Oct 3, 2006.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

Trying again.

Generally I don't like fuzz boxes but I need one to use off and on (literally) just for some explosive notes.......

Someone suggest a warmish, powerful one please? Like the look of the Throbak "Stonebender" or even the "ODB" or the Keeley "Fuzzhead" or the "Sunface - NKT275".

Don't want to wait half a year for one and find out it's not what I want.

Thanks, Pete.

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

Go with one of the Skreddy Pedals!

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Sunface NKT.

I got a Tonefactor Huckleberry yesterday that I'm kind of impressed with, but I haven't played with it at band volume. It's a heavier fuzz than the Sunface, but you can always roll the gain back. Good bargain too.

That said, I still think the Sunface is the best I've ever played and worth the money.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

You sound a lot like me. I went with the Lovepedal White Dragon after trying a few others and the Dragon is a keeper. Very warm in fuzz mode, and tons of other great distortion tones as well. Check it out.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    I didn't know that Tonefactor made their own pedals - the Mule sounds very interesting.......

Don't forget I'm an impatient SOB and when I make up my mind I'll want it yesterday........anyone know what the wait time on the Sunface is right now?

Is the White Dragon still being made?

Cheers, Pete.

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would recommend the Retroman Sybil. It has the Ge and Si sides and offers a wide variety of tones in one box. I was also not a big fuzz fan until I came across the Sybil. It can be thin, fat, bright or dark, lots of options. It also cleans up remarkably well with a little volume roll off.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Perhaps a Tonefactor Hellbilly? I really liked mine when I had it.

I sold it in favor of a Lovepedal CoT50 Red - not quite full on fuzz territory, but I don't use the more saturated fuzz tones in the stuff I play. It has a looser feel to it and more gain when you crank up the bias, but it's not uncontrollable or gated at all - and you get all of the cool volume knob interaction of a good fuzz.

8. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Analog Man Sun Face NKT or RetroMan Sybil.
    Sun Face is a little warmer but not by much, Sybil is amazingly versatile.
    Both clean up really well and offer tons of different tones just using the Vol knob on the guitar.
    Note that both of these REALLY want to be first right after the guitar as they sound the best that way and are most responsive and can sound crappy depending on what is in front of them.

9. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I have had the worst luck with fuzzes. The Dragon is cool as well as Pink Purple Fuzz. I've tried so many and those two are about the only ones that do it for me.

10. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

The Tonefactor Huckleberry knocked both the Sunface and the Fuzz Head off my board.

I'd been on a long search for a good all round fuzz and the Huck covers most ground.

11. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Love my Sunface NKT - didn't know if I would want a fuzz at all....Dialing
    it in and around a Carb and Eternity OD....the volume on the guitar just
    brings in this rich warmth, sustain - sometimes almost an Ebow effect when I work it right...Sunface is right...it is like a solar radiance expanding out - actually sounds good to use it playing outside on a cold day...I use it around the edges to bump up solos and for effect, and a reggae song (so much trouble in the world/marley) I kick it on and its....well, tropical warmth, somehow. I used to associate fuzz w/ a bad fuzz/wah I had in the 70s - and w/ Hendrix etc....I now hear tones that I associate w/ Phil Manzanera/Eno/80's alternative bands that I always kinda wonder how they got that - organic drippy fuzzular tone.
    I like it a lot!

12. dave s

dave s Member

I use one of the analgoman Sunface Fuzz pedals. It's very 'vintage / retro' sounding.

Because my current gig requires the psychodelic 60s stuff it works great on songs like Incense & Peppermint, Inagodadavida, Journey to the Center of Your Mind and even does a pretty convincing No Time by Guess Who. Also does the Yardbirds stuff pretty well, too.

Roll the volume back on the guitar, and the Sunface does a killer Neil Young impression, like at the end of Cinnamon Girl. Bring the guitar volume back up to full and it breaks into perfect, at-will 3rd / 5th / 9th harmonic feedback.

Not a fuzz junkie, but certainly see the benefits of having one!

dave

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

The throbak ODB can be a very versitile box that can get fuzzy. i never used my fuzz full on anyway, always rolling the guitar volume back. With that said, lots of transister based distortions can do the job quite well.

14. e-z

e-z Member

Try a BJF Pink Purple Fuzz.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

I love Bjorn Juhl.........he knows it.......I can't wait out his lead times!

Best, Pete.

16. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Pete,

I think you should really try out one of the MJM London fuzzes. Like you, I look for fuzzes that don't sound all-out fuzzy. I actually think if you want to use it to emphasize certain notes, I would try the London Fuzz 2 (Silicon fuzz face). I just got one, and after corresponding with Michael at MJM and letting him know all of the things I didn't like in a fuzz, he delivered the exact fuzz I was looking for. Shoot him an e-mail and tell him what you want.

My experience with the London Fuzz 2 is that it is very fat sounding, without sounding tubby. It can get fairly close to Eric Johnsons fuzz tone, which is to say it isn't flubby in the bass or fizzy in the high end.

I have tried the Ge and Si, and I honestly think the Si fuzz, and the MJM in particular, will be what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,

Steve

PS - the wait for the MJM fuzz was all of 5 days, tweaked for me, and in my choice of enclosure.

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

BJF PPF-Patience is a virtue :D

18. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Demeter Fuzzulator, you'll never need another fuzz pedal.
    RC

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Steve,
    Do they have a website?
    You going to the NJAmpfest next month?

Best, Pete.

20. fatback

fatback Member

The PPF is a nice pedal.

I'd also reccomend the Cusack, Screamer-Fuzz for a cool hybrid fuzz sound.