Fuzz confusion????????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zeppelinpage4, Jul 13, 2008.

1. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Well for a while now i've really admired David Gilmours tone and over the last few months from reading through Gilmourish i've decided on getting a fuzz. The problem is that there are about thirty or so different makes and brands to choose from and I can't try most of these out.

I like a fuzz that can sustain well when completely turned up and react well with chords and my guitar volume knob. I guess the closest sound I want is something similar to Davids live tone in the early years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3IDnxOCn4
    I guess that vid pretty much sums up what sounds I like. :p

My budget is around $200 but I can go a bit higher if needed of course the cheaper the better.

These are the ones i've considered so far.

General Guitar Gadgets fuzz kit, never built a pedal before but I guess now's a good time to learn. Also it's only around $50. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the high end boutique stuff but it's inexpensive and I can change out transistors as needed.
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Skreddy Lunar Module
    Seemed perfect sound wise but I heard this doesn't clean up well with the volume.
    http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_lunar_module.htm

Fulltone 70

Got to try this once and it sounded pretty good.

Hartman Si Fuzz
    http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.com/product.sc?categoryId=7&productId=10

And of course the Analogman Sunface
    http://www.buyanalogman.com/Sun_Face_p/am-sun-face.htm

I only found the Fulltone to try out and am unsure about spending so much money on something I haven't used before.

Any advice as to which fuzz I should go with and what is the best bang for the buck?

2. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Welcome to the Gear Page.
    You will shortly get advice on fuzz, or maybe that will be fuzzy advice, but anyway, just let me point one thing out.
    Many of us would never get a chance to actually try many pieces of gear before buying, and so enter the Gear Page to get some idea of what we "might" like.
    And of course with resources like Youtube, and especially the guys at Pro guitar shop here lately doing side by side comparisons of similar pedals, it is a little easier to get an idea of what might work for us.
    But the real point I wanted to make is this.
    If a particular pedal sells regularly for say $200 on evil bay with say $8-10 shipping and handling.
    Many of us will pick one up at or (hopefully just below) resale price, and try it out at home, on our own rig, and for as little or as long as you need to see if you like it.
    Then, if you do not like it, you just put it back up for sale and let someone else try it out.
    And with the price of fuel these days, what it really costs you is about equal to a few trips to stores to try stuff out.
    But the key is to try and only buy a pedal for what you should reasonably be able to re-sell it for should it not work out for you.
    So if you use a little common sense and don't get bid crazy, you should be good to go with this approach.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

3. m@2

m@2 Member

GREAT advice! i totally agree, buy them used for a reasonable price, and see what works. Fuzz pedals really have unique personalities, seems more so than other pedal types to me. What guitar and amp you use will really interact with the pedals differently as well. Personally, I do like fulltone (i have '69 and '70). good luck in your search

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I haven't tried the Fulltone, but from the other pedals you're considering, I think the Lunar Module is going the be the one to get you closest to where you want to be. You're right that it won't clean up with your volume knob, but I don't think any of the pedals that purport to get the "Gilmour sound" do...

5. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. My guitar teacher does that and buys used pedals all the time on ebay then resells em'. I'll have to find them at reasonable prices though haha. :p
    Better start searching the used pedals.

And i've been going through the ProGuitarShop demos like crazy, great vids. Beats out Gearwire by miles lol...

I'll go back and check out the Fulltone 70 once more, it says on their site the transistors are purposely mismatched which will give me more snarl and bite. Not a feature i'm looking for but if it sounds good in person that's what matters.

Hmmm... good point. The issue here is that i've seen him rely on the volume alot live and your right in that most of the pedals replicating his sound aren't meant to clean up. I might have to find a different fuzz face model that does clean up well but also reaches the right amount of fuss paired with my delay.

Any more ideas guys? What has already been said was really helpful. I'll look through ebay some more but it could be months before I have a good idea of what each of these pedals sound like. I wonder if I could buy one new and return it a few days later for a full refund if I don't like the pedal.

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just tried an Analogman BC182/183 fuzz and it didn't work for what I wanted. I turned it over in 2 days and bought a Keeley Fuzz Head from a fellow TGPer. I'm going after the Gilmour/Brian May thing myself. I agree with the above posts. Buy USED and try it. If it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, you lose minimal money, if any, and you get the experience of trying the item and better defining what you like and what you don't. I've spent my summer doing this and I'm getting closer all the time to the tone I hear in my head...and I haven't really lost any money doing it.

7. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Cool, how do you like the fuzz head? There is a used Keeley Fuzz head in one of the nearby stores I can buy. I heard it's more of an overdrive than fuzz though. Of course if it gets those Gilmours sounds all the better. I remember seeing a comparison of that and the Sunface on youtube.

8. meterman

meterman Member

After alot of trying and buying I've found a few I really like for Gilmourish tones -

FoxRox Hot Silicon - excellent quality silicon fuzzface, nice tweakability
    MJM Foxey Fuzz - great Big Muff clone, fat smooth and tons of gain and sustain
    MJM London - great germ fuzzface, not so much DG but awesome...

All of these are less than $200 new and usually around $150 used. My favorites out of 8-10 fuzzes I've owned....

9. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

+1, I own this one and I'm a Gilmour freak as well. I think it's the best Fuzz Face type pedal for early Gilmour tones ala Pompeii. I've got a Skreddy Lunar Module on the way soon.

I suggest you check out www.gilmourish.com if you haven't already. There is a wealth of info there. Also, there is the Gilmour Gear forum....

http://zychal.net/forum/

10. shredtrash

It's actually in the mail. I'll know next week :D. I think it might work better than the Silicon Sunface because it's designed to be more of a lead booster which is what I wanted in the first place. I'm hoping it plays nicer with my other Keeley pedals (TS9dx Flexi 4x2, and Java Boost). The Analogman wanted nothing to do with them.

11. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

I'm always going through Gilmourish such a great site. :D

And much thanks for that link, i've never heard of those forums before but i'm glad I did.

I also went by your and meterman's suggestions and checked out that Fox Rox fuzz online. Most of the demos were about midway fuzzy but it sounded great. Cleaned up well and had some germanium type tones with the volume rolled back. I guess that's another one to add to the list. The MXR classic 108 fuzz is also something i'm gonna try when it's out. However not many people mentioned the MXR or know about it. Looks like that JHF1 Jimi Hendrix fuzz face but square and about $30 cheaper.
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=898&CategoryID=355

Hope you like it, I got to try the used one and it was really nice. Not as fuzzy as I hoped but I didn't get a chance to mess with it much. Very nice drive though, had a beautiful rhythm tone.

12. shredtrash

Hope you like it, I got to try the used one and it was really nice. Not as fuzzy as I hoped but I didn't get a chance to mess with it much. Very nice drive though, had a beautiful rhythm tone.[/quote]

Good to hear. I'm hoping it works out.

13. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I tried the Analogman BC108 w/sundial and liked it as well, but prefer the Foxrox with my rig.

Here's an Echoes clip I did....

57 RI strat w/CS 54's

Foxrox HS->WH1(analogman modded)->White E->Timmy->Goodrich Vol->Empress (tape)->Reeves Custom 50 into Reeves 2x12 w/RI Fanes

http://www.spinningaroundthesun.com/Music/Echoes.mp3

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

It sounds like you want a high-gain Si Fuzz Face-style.
    Lunar Mod
    Hartman
    Foxrox

These should clean up better than a Big Muff style...which is more in-line w/ The Wall era Floyd.

The Fuzz Head is great, but I think it is on the low-gain side of fuzzland, so it gets lumped as an overdrive. It still reacts to the volume and cleans up like a fuzzface. Great for ZZ Top. One of my favorite pedals.

15. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

The closest I've ever gotten to the Gilmour tone (and David is the reason I play a Strat anyway) is with a EMG DG20 rig in my Strat and a Skreddy Top Fuel Fuzz Pedal straight into my amp. I've had many things that have come close enough over the past several years; but nothing absolutely nailed it except the Skreddy and EMG combination.

Just for information - I just attempted to build the General Guitar Gadets Fuzz that you mentioned and it was a totally frustrating thing for me. The instructions are not sufficient for a semi-experienced person like myself and I would not advise this to be the first kit you try. I've done over a dozen pedal mods with the Monte Allums and built three BYOC Kits with success on all; but the one I just mentioned just needs alot better instructions.

If you want to go the DIY route, then get a used Boss Metal Zone and the Monte Allums mod kit for it ($25) and try it.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

If you feel more brave; try this:
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fuzz.html

vtg

16. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I have no doubts that this probably nails his later tones with a muff style pedal - The Wall, MLOR, and Division Bell/Pulse. However, I don't think you can nail Pompeii/Meddle/DSOTM or other earlier tones where he's clearly using a Fuzz Face. If you go Skreddy, the Lunar Module would be better for that imho.

17. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

^ Yeah, that early tone is what I like. The later one is great but it's a lot more complicated for me. I like his early sound in that sense, raw and simple.

Wow, seriously thanks a bunch for the clip. Gave just the sounds I was looking for. At one or two points I forgot it was a cover and not the actual song haha. Great work on that and very nice tone.

I did read that the Fox Rox has BC 109s in them is that true?
    I was thinking BC108's might be more what I need but both the Fox Rox and Hartman seem to sound good.

Price wise and with reviews the Hartman is right up there for me ATM, but the Fox Rox in the clip sounded great. Did you have the fuzz completely turned up for the solo?

The first mod site seems cool, but I only have a DS-1 (it's been my Gilmour pedal all this time....:( ) and I don't see many mods that will get me the right fuzz sound. Though i'm very tempted to buy a used BD-2 and get that H2O mod to boost the fuzz. Much less expensive than Keeley and Analogman.

I was originally set on the BYOC but i'm not a fan of the E.S.V. version on the site and the price seems a bit high for a DYI. I did like the earlier fuzz kit.Shame they're not selling that one.

18. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

No problem. I did the clip to add to the Empress Superdelay thread originally, but saw the tone you were looking for and thought it might help. Thx for the compliments.

Yeah, the Foxrox has BC109's, but per the updates on the Gilmourish site anyway - it appears Gilmour used Fuzz Faces w/BC108's and then switched to BC109's later. Pompeii tones are probably BC108's. I think the Foxrox just sounded better for my rig. Yep, fuzz all the way up and guitar vol all the way up for the solo and improv over the funky part.

Really any good silicon fuzz will get you close. Best of luck. :drink

19. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

^ Cool, many thanks. I think i'm set with the fuzz units for now. Just gonna try a few of these and look for more clips, I don't think I can really go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread as they're all pretty good.

Just out of curiosity would a BD-2 Blues Driver be able to compliment the fuzz pedal as a boost and a separate overdrive unit? I have little extra cash left over and a used Boss BD-2 just turned up for $50. I know Bjorn from Gilmourish uses one so maybe it could work well with the fuzz.

20. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Yeah, I think it could work nicely. I had the one with the monte allums H20 mod for a short while. Although it was nice, I found my other OD pedals to be better so I ended up selling it. For not much more money, you could try a Timmy - although there's the wait. If you get that BD, I would send it to Analogman or Keeley for their mods.