Fuzz: Covering my bases...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave12, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

So, I'm making room for a new fuzz sometime soon...one too many OD's on my board and something needs to go.

I have the Blackout Effectors Twosome fuzz with the Fix'd and the Musket, and I feel like it covers a lot of ground, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I had a Zvex FF for a while, but sold it when I ran out of room, but now I kinda regret that decision sometimes, so I might consider that one again.

What ground does the Twosome cover (i.e. similar circuits/pedals)?

What would you recommend to fill the gap?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Hard to say what ground the Fix'd covers, as it's kind of unique. Musket side's a good muff.

I'd recommend a Fuzzrite, Superfuzz, or Brassmaster. Don't think you'll be getting any of those sounds out of the Twosome.

3. dave12

Not sure about any of those...they all sound kinda bit crusher-ish which is not really what I'm going for.

4. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I currently have a Fuzz Probe, which is an advanced model of the other ZVEX fuzz factory... a bit more diverse, particularly as you integrate the Theremin probe.

5. dave12

Wow, I really thought people would jump on a Fuzz suggestions thread.

I'll help out. Along with the Fuzz Factory, other fuzz types I am wondering about:

Analogman Peppermint
    Fuzz Face
    EQD Hoof
    Solid Gold fuzzes?

Thanks

6. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

I have the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe and find it to be surprisingly versatile from OD to everything else AND it cleans up exceptionally well using the volume knob.

7. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I've also got a Twosome and lots of other fuzzes as well. With the Musket side, you've got the muff-type covered. And with the Fix'd side you've got a LOT covered! It can do a good fuzz face or it can get pretty crazy.

It seems to me you're missing a tone bender. If you're into them, I'd recommend an EQD Tone Reaper (very reasonably priced) or maybe a Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe. Of course neither of these are anything like what I've heard a Fuzz Factory is like (never played one, never wanted to for some reason).

If you don't care about benders and have a bit more cash lying around, get a Skinpimp Buzzaround. It's unlike anything else I own and I love it. Also, I've been wanting a Trombetta Mini-Bone but can't speak about it directly as I've never played one...but I've heard nothing but good about 'em.

8. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

They get almost no mention, but I have my eye on the Black Cat Bee Buzz Fuzz. I'm loving the videos and the fact that it's not your typical dark fuzz.

I'm ordering one soon, I think.

9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Check out PTD fuzzes. Paul has a thread here in the manufacturer's emporium. There's also a wealth of YouTube vids... The MiniBone / Bone Machine is one of the best sounding and most versatile fuzz boxes ever made. I dare say you could cover most of your fuzz, and maybe even dirt, period - with just that. It's very responsive to the volume knob, so many shades of dirt are available just by rolling back the volume - clean to raging fuzz, all without touching the pedal. I know it sounds like hype, but trust me - check Paul's stuff out. He's an awesome dude to work with, too.

Actually, where in Texas are you? I'm in Houston, if you wanna hear what my Bone Machine sounds like...

10. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

+1 for EQD Tone Reaper as mentioned above. Since you got a crazy fuzz with Fix'd Fuzz and muff with the Musket, adding the Tone Reaper would be a nice compliment.

Or even something Deviever?

11. bshields

bshields Member

How bout an octave fuzz?

12. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Everyone needs a good fuzz face. I recommend MJM's London Fuzz if you're willing to spend the money (comes in both Germanium and Silicon). I have both versions and they're great. I especially love the way they clean up

If you like Silicon, the Hendrix signature Dunlop FF is apparently highly-praised (don't own one myself, yet) and it's a little cheaper than the MJM

13. ajoel32

ajoel32 Member

I've delved into the world of fuzz, and havent looked back. I have to say, my PTD mini-bone is my go to fuzz. Paul is a real stand-up dude. You can't go wrong there.

14. dave12

New thoughts:

I think I had an epiphany today, and it's in the form of velcro.

Name some good velcro fuzzes? Is the EQD Dirt transmitter a good one?

15. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I've got the Dirt Transmitter and like it a lot. It can do some crazy, but if you're going for velcro, maybe you should buy another Fuzz Factory? At least that's how I think of a FF. Or go for any number of Devi Ever pedals...the cheap ones.

16. dave12

Really? I never felt like the FF was super velcro-y in a sense. I guess in some ways it is, but I felt it was better at oscillation and high gain stuff. I don't think I ever got a thick, fat velcro sound out of it, but maybe that was just me.

Edit: now that I think about it, I take some of that back. maybe I'm looking for a different type of velcro. Is there anything similar to the FF but deeper?

Continued this thread here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=12556894#post12556894

17. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe or Zippy should round things out nicely...

18. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

If you're looking at the AM Peppermint, you surely know the Sun Face is AM's Fuzz Face design. Can't go wrong with that one. I have the TI-UK GE transistors in mine, and it sounds fantastic. If you're getting any kind of fuzz face, I'd probably go Dark Peppermint over the regular one, just to keep from overlapping too much. The Peppermint is certainly different from the Sun Face, but I feel like there's still some common ground sonically, and the Dark Peppermint is a bit further removed from the traditional Fuzz Face sound.

19. WoweeZowee

WoweeZowee Member

Definitely check out the MJM Ge London Fuzz. I just leave the level and fuzz knobs dimed and it cleans up beautifully with the volume knob.

20. baj2k

baj2k Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012