• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Fuzz Decision: KARL, '69 or KR Gypsy Fuzz?

Which Fuzz?

• Fulltone '69

• Lovepedal Karl

• KR Gypsy Fuzz

Results are only viewable after voting.

radcliff

I have been doing a ton of reading, and I'm on the brink of just buying all three and doing my own shootout. Which would you pick?

I had an NKT Sunface and sold it, it was too woofy for me, not tweakable enough, I could tell it was very authentic, but to me, I'm more interested in a good sound.

KR Gypsy
Lovepedal Karl
Fulltone '69

Ps, I play many styles of music and I'm looking for a good fuzz that plays well and does best when it's first in the chain, with dynamics.
I want one that really sings and can get classic tones as well as just sound very musical.

I play a strat in an EL84 amp.

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
Fuzz is really a personal kinda pedal. It's like asking, What kinda pants should I wear? You really need to try 'em all. A good place to start would be the Sybil, Ge and Si fuzzes in one box that you can run alone or stacked.

radcliff

Thanks.

I was originally leaning towards the '69 thinking that the Karl was too weird, but the more samples I hear, the more I like.

slowburn

I've never tried the other two, but really dig my karl. it doesnt sound like fatback's when I play through it. remember a lot of it depends on guitar, amp and playing technique.

radcliff

Yes, fatback's sounded demonic, which was cool, but then the Josh clips gave it a more normal tone, though he plays too fast in those clips, I think.

LVE

I went on a fuzz quest a few months back after I built a few fuzz pedals to see how mine were going to stand up to the popular pedals. The only one that I liked better than my own was the Karl. It could get really vicious and still hold together really well.

BUT, from what you described as your preference, it sounds like the '69 is more your cup of tea. It's probably going to be the most dynamic one because it has the most simple circuit of the 3, and you'll be able to dial out that woofiness that you didn't like in the Sunface.

radcliff

I agree. From the clips of the KR, it mgiht have that woofiness and low midrange I don't like.

carlygtr56

I've had all three. I currently have the Gypsy Fuzz.

The '69 is cool. It doesn't have that tubby bass of the Sun face. Not much gain/fuzz, but a cool ge fuzz.

The Karl is what I call a novelty fuzz. It's great, but how many tunes can you use it for/on? It's cool for the octave/fuzz thing and nothing sounds like it, but to me, it's an effect I'd use to highlight something, or use on a specific tune.

The Gypsy, IMO is the one. Plenty of fuzz/gain, cleans up, etc.
Randy Hansen can play whole shows thru it.......so can we!

radcliff

Cool, I had a feeling that's how the Karl was. I may buy a KR and a '69 and have a tea party.

Trending Topics