• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fuzz Experts Needed

la noise

What specific Sunface are you looking at, Jeremy? There are some differences in cleanup, cut, tone, and wooliness, depending on what transistors are going to be in it.

Jeremy A

What specific Sunface are you looking at, Jeremy? There are some differences in cleanup, cut, tone, and wooliness, depending on what transistors are going to be in it.

I'm looking at the red dot NKT 275. I don't need/want really high gain and I think it would be capable of some cool overdrive tones. Unless it's picky with guitar/amp combos!

la noise

That is a Germanium loaded Sunface and there can be some issues with the finicky nature of Germanium fuzzes, in general. When they are "on" there is not much better.

The LMMD is a safe bet... and sure thing..... but it may not wow you like the Sunface is capable of.

For me LMMD = reliable and predictable, versatile and dependable. Like a polite altar boy who shows up to the service 10 minutes before the clergy. Always.

The Sunface is of the highest quality, but can be a bit temperamental. Like that hot girl whose beauty captivates you, while her occasionally unpredictable moods leave you going :huh

:) Of course, I am overstating all of this for dramatic effect. Even if the metaphors fit, in my own experience.

Jeremy A

That is a Germanium loaded Sunface and there can be some issues with the finicky nature of Germanium fuzzes, in general. When they are "on" there is not much better.

The LMMD is a safe bet... and sure thing..... but it may not wow you like the Sunface is capable of.

For me LMMD = reliable and predictable, versatile and dependable. Like a polite altar boy who shows up to the service 10 minutes before the clergy. Always.

The Sunface is of the highest quality, but can be a bit temperamental. Like that hot girl whose beauty captivates you, while her occasionally unpredictable moods leave you going :huh

:) Of course, I am overstating all of this for dramatic effect. Even if the metaphors fit, in my own experience.

Well, if I got the Sunface, I'd get the sundial option and I'd be able to put it first in my chain. And I play in stable temperature conditions anyway. Only problem is that it may be too dark with my LP. But fine with my Tele.

Jeremy A

Ya I think I owe it to myself to try the Sunface. If that doesn't work out the LM will always be there.

la noise

Well, if I got the Sunface, I'd get the sundial option and I'd be able to put it first in my chain. And I play in stable temperature conditions anyway. Only problem is that it may be too dark with my LP. But fine with my Tele.

It's so hard to know when any of us mean by "dark" or "bright." :huh

I like warm tones, personally. The issue with Germanium fuzz is that they can't get a bit "wooly" in the low-end with fat guitars that are loaded with humbuckers. That's a pretty well-known reality.

Some of it can be worked around. Rolling down the guitar's volume on an LP into a Sunface can really tighten the sound up and introduce a lot of chime that is missing when everything is maxed. Then you get to the solo and you are playing single note lines and all of that wooliness turns into creaminess. :)

A lot of us have unique preferences and aims, though. So what might be ideal for one person is way off the mark for someone else.

Again, be hard to go wrong either way. Even if you purchased one and didn't like it the resale on both the LMMD and Sunface are exceptional. :aok

Jeremy A

It's so hard to know when any of us mean by "dark" or "bright." :huh

I like warm tones, personally. The issue with Germanium fuzz is that they can't get a bit "wooly" in the low-end with fat guitars that are loaded with humbuckers. That's a pretty well-known reality.

Some of it can be worked around. Rolling down the guitar's volume on an LP into a Sunface can really tighten the sound up and introduce a lot of chime that is missing when everything is maxed. Then you get to the solo and you are playing single note lines and all of that wooliness turns into creaminess. :)

A lot of us have unique preferences and aims, though. So what might be ideal for one person is way off the mark for someone else.

Again, be hard to go wrong either way. Even if you purchased one and didn't like it the resale on both the LMMD and Sunface are exceptional. :aok

I actually much prefer warm tones as well. And I liked what you said about using the guitar's volume knob to tighten it up and then crank it for leads. That's exactly what I'm wanting to do! Thanks!

Chonny

I happen to think the video I linked of the Acid Fuzz Italian Fuzz sounds really OD-like for a vintage fuzz circuit. I always think vintage. Theres a lot of more modern fuzzes that get closer. For example the Bearfoot Arctic White Fuzz I just got can do the OD-like dirty rhythm/lead thing great for a fuzz pedal. It has the tone or timbre of a vintage fuzz and cuts extremely well.

tremayne007

My mini-bone cleans up very well, even with the gain, bore, and mood knobs fully dimed.

FYI- at that setting, with guitar volume maxed, the word splatter doesn't even do justice to what comes out of my amp when I hit the low E string below the 5th fret. You'd swear something died in my rig, and it was a most unholy death. :dude

la noise

^^^Amazing... amazing... amazing pedal. I don't think it is possible to describe in words what the Mini Bone is capable of. I know when I first played it I knew it was going to require me to elevate my playing to be worthy of it. :)

cubistguitar

^^^Amazing... amazing... amazing pedal. I don't think it is possible to describe in words what the Mini Bone is capable of. I know when I first played it I knew it was going to require me to elevate my playing to be worthy of it. :)

And the Bone Machine GT is just a toolbox of overdriven and fuzzy guitar tones. For the price i would seek out a Bone Machine or even the GT (harder to come by). The sunface would take a lot less time to aquire new, but the PTD stuff is pretty special.

tremayne007

And the Bone Machine GT is just a toolbox of overdriven and fuzzy guitar tones. For the price i would seek out a Bone Machine or even the GT (harder to come by).

I'd love to check out the GT version of the Bone machine.

For clarification, the standard Bone machine is the exact same pedal as the mini-bone but with a battery compartment. So I would suggest either the mini-bone or the GT version of the Bone machine unless battery power is a must to save board space.

Last edited:

cue311

Bone machine has the battery option, not the mini-bone. Personally, I won't
be without one! Ge option for me, as I love that sound with my Les Paul.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for a thick fuzz that cleans up well to a warm overdrive with the guitar's volume knob. Or that is capable of being set to an overdrive as well as a fuzz.

It's important to note that I will not be using any other dirt pedals with the fuzz I get. I set my amp to edge of breakup where I can get low gain when I really dig in. So I want this fuzz to get me from a medium gain overdrive through to full on fuzz.

The pedals I'm considering are: Analogman Sunface, Skreddy LM, PTD Mini Bone, Cusack Screamer Fuzz, and EQD Hoof. What do you think? Are these all good choices?

I play a variety of different amps and guitars, but mostly Vox style amps.

You've just described exactly what the Monsterpiece SS does best. I've had it three years and have yet to find a better fuzz.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom