Fuzz Face and wired noise gate type sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisg_75, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM.

1. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Ok,
    So I recently unearthed my old fuzz face and dusted it off for ***** and giggles. Upon plugging into my pedal board and turning it on it has an effect like it is heavily noise gated.

It is running off PP2+ supply to the battery clip.

When I hit a string it goes if I hit it hard but then if let ring out it cuts out really early as if it has a heavy noise gate on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Def don recall it being like this before …….

2. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

Does it sound like bias-ed or voltage starved gating?
    Anything in the chain between guitar and Face?

3. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

not sure what biased or voltage starved gating sounds like unfortunately to tell you yes or no.

Yes there are a number of things between guitar and fuzz face

chain so far is

guitar > polytune > whammy > Wah > univibe > NS2 Noise Supressor > Flashback Delay > Amp

then under noise suppressor is NS2 > Visual Sound Dual overdrive > Fuzz Face > zvex super duper drive > NS2

4. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Try running the Fuzz Face by itself, to make sure the problem is with it. It’s probably the buffers before it.

5. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

yep did exactly that. Same power supply location on the PP2+ but guitar to face to amp and same issue

6. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

If it's a germanium one and the ambient temperature is high, the heat is likely the issue.

7. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

Yeah, maybe cool it off in a ziploc in the freezer.

8. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Temp is def not an issue. It’s winter here and things def not over heating.....

9. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

Ive also now tried it with a brand new 9V battery and still get the same thing happening. Guitar > face > amp. Cutting out really early like there is a heavy noise suppressor built into it …….

h e l p !!!!

10. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Give the bias trimpot a slight nudge. If you have a digital multimeter you can tune it with it, otherwise you have to go by ear, which is also easy enough :)

If unsure, just upload a gutshot :)

11. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

12. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

seems there is no trimpot on this side of the pcb at least... if and only if you are feeling comfortable doing this, you might want to unscrew the pcb and have a look at the other side.

Just be very gentle so as not to damage anything, and especially avoid putting any stress on the wires.

Maybe try a third brand new battery, and a slightly used one before attempting the above.

13. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

14. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Btw, you ve already moved it so as to be first in line as @Tiny Montgomery suggested, right?

15. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

oh yeah ive run it on its own totally.

Guitar > F Face > Amp

both with the PP2+ power and also a new 9v battery

same both times as well as in the pedal board :(

16. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

No trimpot on either side, weird, ti might be one of the early reissues... maybe drop a line to dunlop? installing a trimpot is a relatively easy mod, but you need to have the right person do it for you..

Btw it s an nkt275 one, if those are properly matched and the bias is set right, it ll probably sound sweet :)

17. chrisg_75

chrisg_75 Member

ok so what am I looking at with being properly matched and bias set right ????

and also when I contact Dunlop you mean as in just asking about the problem as I have done here ??

18. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Getting a fuzz face to sound right takes more than someone would guess given its low parts count.

Usually the transistors have to be selected and matched, that is to satisfy some criteria concerning gain and leakage for each and also satisfy certain gain relationships with each other.

Chances are that a trimpot will make the gating go away as you will tune the collector voltage of the second transistor. But this cannot guarantee that it will sound great, as this would need the transistors to be matched. I think Dunlop did not care much about matching in the early batches of fuzz face reissues until George Tripps of Way Huge overtook supervision. So, there s a good chance there s a random factor in there.

Sent an email to Dunlop - maybe they have a better / chraper solution. And concerning mods, there is plenty of people here that could undertake it. Installing a trimpot should be relatively cheap, but if the sound is not satisfactory after that, you might be better of buying a new one. Another popular mod is installing a switch so as to be able to select the input cap value that controls the bass response as s many fuzz faces are overly bass-heavy.

Btw, it s no surprise that so many love fuzzfaces, stick wih them and you ll be rewarded with some great tones :)

danieloux and Flouncingfleasbag like this.
  19. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Just to clarify, for matching you have to measure a bunch of transistors for gain and leakage while those are not soldered to the board, select a few promising candidates / pairs and then go by audition to find out the pair that you like the most. With germanium transistors it s a bit more complicated because of temperature sensitivity that affects leakage and gain.

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  20. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Have you tried different guitars? Different cords? Definitely sounds ti me like the bias is off... maybe a resister has drifted in value?