Fuzz Face battery vs. PP2+ 9v Snap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nacho Strato, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

The other thread about powering a Fuzz Face-type circuit with a 9v vs. an adaptor got me wondering about the 9v snap adaptor on the PP2+... the one that clips onto where a 9v would.

Has anyone compared the difference? Is it exactly like giving 100% of the juice of a 9v all the time?

Cheers

2. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

3. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

4. Goerman

Goerman Member

I have but with a Fulltone 69. What I really like about the PP2+ is the sag option, this yielded some noticeable (I though positive) differences. What I didnt like was having to leave the cover off the pedal to access the 9v attachment.

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I'm a fuzz freak and have compared extensively. Use a battery for the best in harmonics, dynamics, bloom, and tone. Using the PP2+ won't sound the same, and using the sag option sounds even worse. A battery does more than what the sag control does (which is basically just lowering the voltage feeding the pedal). This is all more noticeable with germanium fuzz faces, but you will notice some of this with silicon fuzz faces too.

6. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

No, the clip is no different to a barrell plug. The relevant difference is the source of the electrical energy. A battery works via a chemical reaction. A PSU is electrical energy from the grid. Therein lies the difference.

7. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

What he said. Many batteries are 9.6 Volts or higher when new, but I found strange is my PP2+ puts out 9.2 to 9.4 Volts when set at 9 Volts. Maybe to avoid adding up to 19.2 V when combined?