fuzz face clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

Looking for one with that nice driving, crunchy, chimey fuzz face tone....not the super liquidy eric johnson ones.

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

It's the same fuzz face configuration - the difference between the long smooth sustain and the crunchier sounds is where you set the volume control on your guitar. Compare the following - all with the same setup, different volume settings on the guitar.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/FaceFuzz2.mp3
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/FaceFuzz3.mp3
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/FaceFuzz4.mp3
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/FaceFuzz5.mp3
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/FaceFuzz6.mp3

I'd suggest an MJM London Fuzz or a Euthymia crucible fuzz in the lower price range area

But the very best is the Dave Fox Fuzzfoot, which will begin shipping shortly. see http://www.foxroxelectronics.com for more details.

3. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

I wouldn't say any specific fuzz is the "best" because that's a very subjective thing at best - tone is in the ear of the beholder.

There are an abundance of great fuzz pedals on the market at the moment - perhaps too many! Some use germanium, some use silicon and others utilize a hybrid of both. The only way you can know if a fuzz is right for you is to try it out - with your equpiment no less. Although a pedal may work great with my setup, there are no guarantees it will work for you.

You may get a general idea of how they sound by checking out sound clips on the manufacturers site (if they have any) but that still doesn't mean they will suit your playing style and equipment.

I've owned and sold so many fuzz's that I can't even keep track of them anymore. I finally settled on an original light blue Dallas Arbiter silicon fuzz face with BC108C's and a germanium Pro Analog scary face w. Mullard OC44's. They just work for me. Here's a list of some fuzz's to check out:

KR Musical Gypsy fuzz & Fuzzy Child - does the hendrix thing very well
    Pro Analog Scary Face
    Addrock Germanium Fuzz
    BSM Fuzzbender
    D*A*M Drag 'n' Fly - hybrid fuzz
    Diaz Texas Square Face
    Euthymia Crucible & Crucible GE
    MJM London, London II & Foxy Fuzz
    Aramat Mojo Fuzz
    Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz - not yet released
    Fulltone '69 & '70
    Lovepedal Karl fuzz
    Analogman Sunface NKT275
    Pedalworx McFuzz & McFuzz Hot

There are probably lots more but that should get u started. Musictoyz stocks most of these and there are sound clips as well. The KR stuff seems pretty popular around here & they're getting rave reviews so I'm very tempted to get a Gypsy fuzz :p

4. New Angel

New Angel Guest

5. Occam

Occam Member

Well I think I definitly want to stick to the fuzz face family for now...I don't like the scooped mid's of muff's and tonebenders are usually too raspy/spitty with humbuckers.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The '69 Pedal is my favorite for nailing the Fuzz Face tone. But for what you are discribing, the best pedal I've played in the Fuzz Face family is the McFuzz from PedalWorks. It's crunchy and chimey, not the french horn tone of most FuzzFaces. It's a damn sweet pedal.

7. meterman

meterman Member

The Retroman Sybil does it for me, it has replaced my '69 and both McFuzzes (also great pedals BTW). The sweet tone and unbeatable versatility of the Sybil make it a winner IMHO, I can have full germ, full silicon, or a hybrid blend of the two on my board at the same time. Great build quality too.....

8. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Boy...a big +1 from me regarding your post!

As you state, I really dig the 69 for the FF tone, but the McFuzz I recently procured is quickly becoming my favorite. Gigged with it for the first time Saturday night and had a hard time not using it on every song!! Crunch and chime are great descriptions of this fabulous pedal.

9. meterman

meterman Member

Yep, the McFuzzes are good'uns......I could never decide which I liked better, the standard or the Hot!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i had a '69 fulltone, and thought it was ok, until my Sunface made me realize how papery and thin it actually was.

but a terrific fuzz i've been unable to relinquish from my board is the BJF Candy Apple Fuzz. has no tone knob, but an uber cool and musical "Nature" knob, which lets me get those fat sunface like tones, but twist it for a toothier grindier sound as well.

11. exodus

exodus Member

+1 on the McFuzz and McFuzz Hot.

I have both and have come to the conclusion that it is one of the best pedals I have ever played. I'm a Hendrix fan and like that tone... a fat overdriven fuzzface tone.

What seperates it is that--while the design is all fuzzface, the tone is really 30% overdrive and 70% fuzz mixed together. It has the low end and fatness of a good fuzz, but the mid growl and some high end chime that ODs do better. I can run mine at 18 volts to get even better high end and make it sound more OD-like. It also works perfect wth wah pedals, has a tone control, ac tap, LED, and lifetime tweaks from the builder. (how can you beat that?:dude )

I own a klon, landgraff, and have had some lovepedal, TIM, timmy, barber, analogman, and a handfull of others... they are all great, but for me, I just keep comming back to the McFuzz. I've actually tried to put it away and move on to more expensive stuff... but the damn thing comes back every time. It cleans up so well (like a good fuzz face), that I really only need one dirt pedal.... 5 or 6 on the guitar vol for clean, 7 for a little dirt, 8-10 for dirty rythm to full out lead. Oh yea, it makes the bridge pickup on my strat sound FAT and GROWL.

If you find one used, it's the most undervalued tone machine out there. In fact... I should really keep my mouth shut considering its current used price....;)

12. threm

threm Member

Exodus, if you could say anything about the diffeence between the two I`m all ears.

13. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

I just bought a Lovepedal Ezekiel.
    Should be receiving that soon, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I was very impressed with Gainster's Addrock Geranium Fuzz. The clips were a dead ringer for what you are describing.

RHM

14. threm

threm Member

[​IMG]

When will the other prophets of old have their fuzzes?
    What about Habakkuk or Obadiah?

15. meterman

meterman Member

The McFuzz Standard has less gain and is very fat and smooth in general. The Hot has higher gain and more bite, more treble and 'sizzle'. The Standard is probably more versatile b/c it cleans up better and I found it very useful for crunchy rhythm tones, but the Hot just rocks balls.......

16. exodus

exodus Member

Threm-

I'd agree with meterman. But when you get down to it-- Bob will make it anyway you want, so you're really not limited by 2 strict versions.

17. threm

threm Member

Thanks guys, I saw this combined custom pedal Bob made called Hades, Standard on one side, Hot on the other. But for sustainy, searing (is that the right word?) Gilmourish type solos/sounds the Hot would be your first choice?

[​IMG]

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

'Course if you guys like the MCfuzz but don't have the cash then I would suggest the Tonefactor Hellbilly which is also made by Bob Mcbroom. Its a treble booster and FF circuit with a blend knob for $100. The fuzz part is very similar to the McFuzz.

19. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Coming soon: the Supa-Daniel Freakout De-Luxe
    "It really puts the writing on the wall, man!"

20. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I just won an ebay auction for a Cat's Eye Mista Fuzz. Another boutique fuzz face clone. The clips on the website are pretty cool. Won't get it for another three or four days, so we'll see.