Fuzz Face Enclosures - Any Way to Make Them More Like Originals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RockDude4492, Apr 3, 2020.

1. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Member

Sorry for starting another Fuzz Face related thread but I felt it wasn't on-topic enough to discuss in my first one.

Does anyone know how to modify a modern Fuzz Face enclosure to be more like vintage examples? I'm in a place where I'd love to have a vintage one but can't quite justify the price tag and while the modern ones are fairly close, there are little things that irk me (and I'm sure not the only one because most replicas rectify these problems). For example, the edges are sharper vs originals, or the font is the wrong color on the Hendrix model (should be white).

I realize it's pretty dumb to be irked by this, as it's more about the sound, but there's something the look of the vintage ones that just seems right. In my dream world, I would have a Hendrix JHF1 Fuzz Face modded to be silver with the rounded edges and the Dallas Arbiter logo.

So what I'd like to know is if anyone on the forum has undertaken a project of this nature? If so, is there any guidance on how to do this? Or does anyone know of someone who would do this for a fee? For obvious reasons I have a lot more time now so I might be interested in learning how to do this myself, but I also wouldn't mind having someone with more experience do this for me. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Check out Ivor by Dustin Francis. He builds incredible accurate Fuzz Face replicas, really stunning work. If you have the bucks, it's the best next alternative to an original, great sound always guaranteed (in contrast to most vintage examples):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Jimi forever, woof* and RockDude4492 like this.
  3. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Member

Oh man I've seen those and I'd really like one of those! It would probably be the closest I could get to buying an actual vintage unit. I've actually talked to him, he's a super helpful and knowledgable dude. Pricewise its sort of a reach for me at this point. Then again, I have no idea what someone would charge to have just the enclosure modded, in which case that may be a wash and it would make more sense to just go for the Ivor.

Regardless, those are absolutely the best looking Fuzz Faces around.

4. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

After years of building pedals for myself, basically because I couldn't afford all the boutique stuff, I gave up on the whole thing and learned to save money for what I really wanted. However, it makes a hell lot of fun, so maybe just try to do it yourself. I'm sure Dustin had to start from scratch, too.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

Id consider Analogman for sure. Id normally recomend against mods especially that one as I owned one and it was amazing stock I feel.

I just liked the Silicon Blue Mini better and Im more if an Si man but I felt that one was better than current production IMO GE Fuzz Face. More gain, tighter, cleans up well etc etc

Id keep it stock but if you really want to upgrade it. Send it to Analogmike and have him put some mojo dust on it.....

Whatever he does. People seem to like it and I am sure you will too.

I do feel its a great pedal stock but if you feel its lacking you really cant find a better guy to work on it. Also consider his Fuzz Face.

Heard great things about those too. I think they are called Sun Face or Sun Lions.

Ive always wanted a Peppermint Fuzz :)

6. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Did you read what he actually wants? He's not talking about tone.

Hulakatt and The-Kid like this.
  7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

Wait just reread....

Lol okay yeah. Enclosure not tone.

Okay okay. Need to read better lol

Shiny_Beast likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

Laughs at myself....

Duh duh duh lol
    I do believe Crest Audio makes proper housing.

Sorry @RockDude4492 have you check them out?

10. woof*

woof* Member

Dustin Francis is half the price of a vintage.
    Work hard, save money.

Jimi forever and RockDude4492 like this.
  11. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Instead of trying to modify, how about buying a vintage style enclosure and rehousing your fuzz?
    Several shapes of boxes used for classic fuzzes are still available. Or you could go for something non-vintage but unusual.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Something like this could be painted however you like.

[​IMG]

The-Kid likes this.
  13. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Member

I think the Crest ones are very much like the current Dunlop ones (with the sharper edges), but I do separately want a Crest one just to have that variation. Those seem to have a good reputation.

That is my goal, though due to the pandemic it may take a bit longer. I'm hoping to be able to spring for the Ivor though, it is a thing of beauty.

That's not a bad idea but I am weirdly particular about this stuff, in that if I want a Fuzz Face, I want it in that round enclosure. Again I realize it has nothing to do with tone (which is far more important) but I guess I'm weird like that.

14. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

If you are looking for super vintage-like, those Dustin Francis ones look hard to beat but it’s some serious jack. Yes cheaper than a vintage one but still....

The biggest difference I notice with the enclosures is the more rounded edge. Perhaps some work on a belt sander could carefully soften that up. Might take some practice to get it right.
    I’ve refinished a fuzz face recently and am looking to do another one soon. If you search Etsy for fuzz face logo you can find guys that make very accurate ones. Both in black and white. I went this direction with a white decal and it came out pretty good. Even a caveman could apply it. Several coats of clear over that and you are good to go.
    [​IMG]
    Obviously I wasnt as concerned with it being as vintage correct as you are looking for :D

15. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Member

Well that is all sorts of cool. That is a very cool color, purple definitely should have been a vintage option.

I have seen the Fuzz Face logo on Etsy. Is it a decal or a sticker? Did you put in the Dallas Arbiter type yourself? How did you make that/where did you find it?

16. 100JH

100JH Member

I rehoused Roger Mayer pedals to be more board convenient and you want to do the opposite?
    :bonk:bonk:bonk

Whatever floats your boat bro! :)

17. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Member

I never said it made sense! There’s something about those giant round enclosures that ooze vintage style goodness

18. 100JH

100JH Member

You do you bro! No negativity here!

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  19. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Heck yeah! Half the fun of fuzzes are the out-there enclosures.

Do you still have those RM enclosures? I'd be interested in purchasing them if you do.

100JH likes this.
  20. 100JH

100JH Member

Gotta dig, Axis and Octavia. Orange and Silver

Hulakatt likes this.