Fuzz Face isn't sounding so great through the Marshall :(

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratm69, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

When I plug my Fuzz Face style pedals into my 1990's Marshall 1987X, I expect to get some sweet, Hendrixy tones. But instead I get the exact opposite. Instead, I get very shrilly, high-treble, and tin-can like Fuzz tones that just aren't doing it for me. There's nothing wrong with the amp by no means. I just can't dial in a good, warm Fuzz tone. It's even worse with Tonebenders as they make the Marshall sound like a swarm of pissed off bee's inside a tin can. The tone is just so unsatisfying, Fuzz Face or Tonebender, that I immediately unplug the Fuzz and go clean.

I typically play through Fender amps such as Tweeds and Blackfaces. I'll just plug a Fuzz Face or Tonebender into those and away i'm off, being pleased with the tones I get right off the bat without any tinkering.

What could I be doing wrong with the Marshall? How can I achieve those warm, Trower and Hendrix Fuzz-tones with the Marshall?

2. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Let us know what your signal chain looks like.

3. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Your amp is what, a 50watt JCM 800? Right then, you must be overlooking something. Amp settings?

4. jzero

jzero Member

My fuzzface clone is a bit shrill. I run it with an eq through a loop pedal. This way I can switch on the fuzz and eq together. Expensive workaround but it gets the job done.

5. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Guitar > Fuzz > Amp

6. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

That's the exact opposite of what I usually find, I love my fuzz pedals into one of my Marshally amps, they are very warm and never shrill, but into Fender amps, they are really shrill sounding, so I have no idea why it's the opposite for you.

7. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Must be the amp then. You could cut the bright cap but then the tone might get too dark/muffled. Replacing the 4700pf bright cap in C5 for a 100pf one, might care of the shrillness at lower volumes.

8. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Again, may we know your amp settings?? Pickups, speakers and tubes, could contribute here too.

9. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Do I just need to crank the amp to get more of the tone i'm after?

I tend to play it at lower volumes, roughly 2 or 3. Even then it's wayyy too loud. Maybe I just need to man up, take the ear abuse, and give the amp some breathing room to achieve the tone I want?

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I'm with the OP. I have never been able to get fuzz to sound good through Marshalls. Fenders they sound great, Marshalls not so much.

I have always assumed it was that English voicings tend to be more mid-rangy than typical American voicings...

11. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I keep the tone settings withing 10 and 1 o'clock. Cab is Marshall 1960TV Celestion Greenback loaded.

Dannyz likes this.
  12. jgyn

jgyn Member

I find both fuzzfaces and tonebenders smoother on my Marshalls ('72 Super Lead, JTM45 RI) than on my Fenders (mid 70s Twin, DRRI.)

13. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Do you ever play at lower volumes when using your Marshall/Fuzz setup or do you just crank it each time? Do you use an attenuator at all?

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

At home I use an attenuator (Hot Plate), but only up to -8db. I usually use a Stratocaster with the Fuzz Faces and a Les Paul with the Tonebenders. I find the Marshalls smoother (to my ear), because of the more robust mid range. With Fender amps I like more midrangey drives like like Tubescreamer and Dumble types, and Mosrite type fuzzes for that 'Spaghetti Western' sound.

15. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

I agree with this, as it is also what I have found. I generally am not using a real Marshall, but a Sovtek MIG 50 that is modded to be very close to a Plexi. I usually run it at about 4 or 5 (with the master volume down a bit, so it isn't deafening).

16. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

go into an input that doesn't have a bypass treble bleed cap on it, one of the low inputs, which ever that is, probably the bottom two inputs on a four holer.

fuzz faces IMO are best into a cranked amp, but I'd expect the TB pedals to sound good.

17. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

There is your problem right there, a fuzz will definitely sound like crapola into an amp at that level.

Purplexi and cwlivingston like this.
  18. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

Fuzz faces need to be played into amps with the tubes running very hot and the amp running quite loud. It is their one drawback, but its worth it when you hear the tone. Get that volume up to 5-7 and take a listen.

19. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Try running it into a transparent OD like the Timmy to simulate the 'cranked amp' sound, plus a bass/treble cut to boot.

Maybe try a DLS, too. Good stacker.

20. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

If this amp doesn't do what you want, If it doesn't please you immensely when you play a note.....You are still looking for "your" amp.

I have a Germino Club 40 head, game over, it does everything I want from a Marshall type amp except the modern tones, and pedals will basically fake that very well. If you want some authentic vintage tones that respond well to fuzz and other dirt, I would recommend a vintage Marshall or the good clones (Metro, Ceria, Germino, Blockhead, etc)

Haven't played a recent issue Marshall that really did what it advertised. Just my 2 cents, some people love em, but a lot of folks have been underwhelmed by these new reissues. That amp may say it is identical to a late 60s plexi, but that is some amount of BS. Circuit board versus Handwired is signifigant, transformers, capacitors, etc make a diff too. The new 1987x distorts a lot quicker than a real 1968 50watter, and that headroom contibutes to a lot smoother output from this amp, especially when pushed. Loudspeakers contribute a lot to the equation as well and I have not favored the chinese greenbacks. Getting the right cab is essential.

I preach because the effects and guitars are great, but the tone is in your amplifier. A great amplifier will always be of great service to you and form the basis of getting a great tone fast and reliably. I feel as though I can walk on water tone wise, cause no matter what i do my rig sounds full and lively, very dynamic.

good luck!!!

Dannyz likes this.