Fuzz Face or Axis

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stephanar, Feb 17, 2015.

1. stephanar

stephanar Member

Recently sold my Dunlop Hendrix big box and now I miss it a lot. Guess I'm a fuzz guy and can't fight against that.
    I used to love my Hendrix ff. The way it cleaned up was abrupt, I think it went totally clean on 7-8, but it was a beautiful tone. It was hard to find the sweet spot on volume during a gig, wish it had a bigger sweep between fuzz and clean. It also cuts through the mix nicely, the most cutting fuzz face I've ever had and that's a big plus.
    On the other side, I've always wanted to try an axis fuzz. Buying a Roger Mayer is very expensive around here, but there's a local builder that makes very nice fuzzes. So I could buy a used fuzz face at a good price (love the big round smiling face!) and send to him to put an axis circuit inside.
    I also have a fulltone octafuzz. Think the fuzz only sounds quite nice. Since I sold the Hendrix, the octafuzz has been my go to fuzz. Heard that the new Dunlop bog ff is an octavia without the octave, and from some samples I think the octafuzz without octave sounds closer to the axis than a traditional fuzz face. But demos are never enough for fuzz pedals. Besides that, I'm talking about pedals that I had personal experience with a pedal I heard on YouTube.
    So, what do you think I should do? Buy another Hendrix ff or try an axis? How they compare? Which one will differ most from my octafuzz?
    Thanks for any help!

2. jimihendrix1117

jimihendrix1117 Member

3. Josh33

Josh33 Member

The axis has one of the nicest clean ups out of all the fuzzes ive ever played (and thats quite a few). I found the sweetspot on the dunlop hendrix FF to be frustrating, but the axis is much more smooth and easier to obtain that awesome tone! Really looking forward to getting the new BOG fuzzface though.

4. jimihendrix1117

jimihendrix1117 Member

Not the grestest clean up. It's clean ish at at around 1-3 at most. After that its cookin, but that's how it's supposed to be

5. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Fwiw -- putting a treble bleed on your volume pot will help with clean up with any fuzz. It does change the tone though. I tend to prefer not having a treble bleed but it makes those volume changes and clean up so much easier. If it doesn't bother you, it's a very cheap fix.

6. kakev

kakev Member

I've had Dunlop henrix fuzz and it was good one. Decent cleanup for silicon fuzz. The axis fuzz i now have is my 4th. Gone through periods not using fuzz at all and therefore I've sold those previous ones but i always seem to gravitate towards rm axis fuzz. The cleanup is as good as it gets. Well, think hendrix axis bold as love. It goes really over the top when gain is dimed, it's about to explode. And in between there are alot very musical tones. Usually i find fuzz faces to have sweet spot for fuzz\gain, just a notch below full out. Any setting lower will Sound dull, any higher it should shrill. Axis has really wide useable range. And the cleanup is awesome, have to strecth that.

My main issue with fuzz pedals is the fact that those are easily buried in the mix. Axis has fat tone, but it still manages to cut through a mix.

Based on soundclip and videos, i have no interested to buy dunlop gypsy fuzz.

7. stephanar

stephanar Member

Looks like the axis can be a nice addition. Think I'll go that way.
    Just to be sure, anyone compared the axis with an Octavia pedal with octave off? Anything like the octafuzz, Octavian, or any other transformer based unit...

8. jimihendrix1117

jimihendrix1117 Member

What tones are you going for? The axis is a great pedal, but for the tones, I like the BOG fuzz better. IMO only get the axis if clean up is a deal breaker.

9. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

if you're going the axis route, definitely consider the KR gypsy fuzz, or a copy of it made by basic audio (if memory is working). i had the axis and still have a gypsy. same circuit, with improvements in tonality (i believe buffers were added? can't remember). no problems with wah on this one, by the way.

10. kakev

kakev Member

I would not want axis fuzz to be tonally improved and wouldnt want a copy of it. It has it's unique sound and feel. Also one difference to fuzz face is the fact that it works with wah. On the other hand fuzz that does not work with wah is kinda amusing. Like foxrox hot silicon which can be tamed via trimpots to be on the borderline, to howl just a bit.

11. basicaudio

basicaudio Member

Just for clarity.
    The Axis Fuzz and Gypsy Fuzz are different circuits.
    I smoothed out the decay of the Gypsy circuit as the
    original has a little crackle in the decay. I also added
    a tone knob so you can vary the amount of treble to
    suit your needs. Same tone is available as the original,
    just variable above and below.
    Carry on...