Fuzz Face problems

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by anba, Apr 28, 2015.

1. anba

anba Member

I'm not sure if this thread fits correctly in this forum section, so I apologise if i missed.

Today I was trying out a couple of Fuzz Faces in our local guitar shop. I tried Bonamassa signature, Hendrix signature and regular germanium fuzz face. I decided to try them out with my guitar (Gibson SG Special 2014). The problem was that there was almost no fuzz up to like 6 or 7 on the guitar volume (pedal maxed out). From 6 or 7 to about 8 and a half there was a little fuzz, and from there up the fuzz and volume grew immensly (almost like a switch).

Well, that didn't seem quite normal to me, so I tried out a cheaper guitar in the store with the same pedals and that worked normally.

I have noticed before that volume increases a bit suddenly with this guitar (from a certain point on), but not to such extremes as it did with the fuzz. It was like normal volume mild overdrive to raunchy, really loud fuzz within just a little turn of a volume knob.

The pots in a guitar are push/pull pots like these:

[​IMG]

Will changig the pots fix this problem? And what pots should I put in there? Because at the moment any fuzz face is almost unusable with this guitar.

2. softclipper

softclipper Member

Some people prefer a lineal pot because the turning down in small steps are easier and gradual on a linear volume pot, often when used with fuzz faces, for example. Lots of japanese and asian guitars have linear pots. Anyway, it's 100% a matter of preference.

3. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Isn't that how fuzz faces respond all the time? Maybe I am not reading your OP correctly, but mine work like that.

4. 9520575

9520575 Member

Yeah, I'm with you on this point

5. anba

anba Member

Yes, I do know that fuzz faces generaly respond this way and I like the fact that you can clean it up really nicely with just a volume knob. But I really did not expect that huge volume increase from 8,5 to 9 on a guitar. Maybe the other, cheaper guitar, had linear pots in it and is that why it worked (to me at least) much better with the fuzz?

6. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

Sounds normal to me. The beauty of the fuzz face is its unique ability to go from clean to full on fuzz with just a simple tweak of your guitars volume knob. I currently have all the Dunlop fuzzes and my fav by far is the bonamassa. Usually sounds best with volume on around 7-8. The other important thing with fuzz faces is to run them into a dirty amp or into an OD pedal to simulate a dirty amp. The only way to go with a fuzz in my opinion. Totally different sound than through a crystal clean amp.

7. fat_mance_rayder

fat_mance_rayder Member

I understand anba, I had a germanium fuzz face for a minute and when i played my ernie ball music man I could turn the guitar volume down and the fuzz would gradually decrease in a very pleasing manner. Playing through the same pedal decreasing the volume on my mexican strat would basically turn the fuzz on or off. clean or 100% fuzz.

8. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Sounds normal to me. Fuzzes respond differently to different guitars. Thats the beauty with them. Try the mini Hendrix, that one responds more evenly and sounds great, if that bothers you.

9. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

The difference with the two guitars is most likely a different taper on the pots used. I've noticed on a cheap epi V I have, the volume knob is basically useless it's either full on or silent as there isn't much difference as you turn it down.

10. anba

anba Member

Exactly! This is actually what I wanted to hear, someone who had that same experience. Because I really like fuzz pedals if you can smoothly increase or decrease fuzz with just a volume knob and at the moment my guitar just does as your mexican strat, almost on or off. First I'm going to change the volume pots and see if it makes any difference.

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Jaguars have 1meg pots, which are extremely 'on and off'. I think 250k pots (like strats typically have) have a more gradual transition

12. Ulug

Ulug Member

What sort of amp did you plug into? In my experience, fuzz faces, especially the germanium ones, tend to produce a wide variety of outcomes depending on the amp.

13. anba

anba Member

They were plugged in a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12. I personally have a Fender Deluxe Reverb, do you think that fuzz face would act differently with my amp?

14. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

humbuckers vs single coils play a big part in the difference too.

edit: looks like you have p90s. depending on how hot they are plays a role.

15. anba

anba Member

They are actually humbuckers, I think 490R and 490T.

16. Coda11

Coda11 Member

High output pickups are not always very suited to play with the volume knob on fuzzfaces... That is why some Fuzz faces have a trim at the beginning of the circuit, like the analogman Sunface (circuit analysis here if your are interested: http://www.coda-effects.com/p/circuit-analysis-fuzz-face.html ). you can add it easily if you are a bit handy, it is a simple 50k trimpot.

Also, the problem might come from the type of pots you are using. If the decrease is too drastic, you will have this kind of effect. It happens a lot with logarithmic pot that is often used as a volume pot (our sense of hearing is logarithmic, however the fuzz face reacts better to a linear voltage drop... You see the problem?)

+1

17. anba

anba Member

I've seen this trimpot in the Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix Mini. Is it there for this purpose?

18. Ulug

Ulug Member

I mainly play through a Classic 30, as well as several small tube amps. I've played the fuzz face (mine is an ancient germanium landmine) through Peavey Classic 30s (my favorite), Marshalls, Kustoms, Oranges, a Twin Reverb, even Diamonds and ENGLs (I tend to avoid those two as much as I can) and even a Jazz Chorus on one occasion, and IMO they all behave differently with a fuzz. Just my two cents...

19. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

That's for the bias.