Fuzz face pulling double duty as overdrive… thoughts?

In particular, I am looking at the Dunlop mini band of gypsies fuzz face. It seems like with the gain rolled back, around 9:00 or lower, the fuzz could be used as a gritty overdrive. I already use a Way Huge Red Llama as my dirtier overdrive, so I feel like this setting on this fuzz face would give me similar results. And I could always nudge my guitar volume back if I need it even less fuzzy.

Has anyone used a fuzz face in this way? Do you have any input or suggestions, in favor or otherwise? I am trying to downsize my rig as simple as possible and if I could have my fuzz double as my overdrive, it would be really helpful. And I feel like starting with the Red Llama as my overdrive is already half-way to using a fuzz in its place anyway.

Of course, the more expensive option would be to use the 6 Degrees FX Millie Fuzz instead of the BoG mini fuzz face, but that's a story for another thread… ;)

MoonshineMan

I don't even have an OD pedal on my board. MJM London Fuzz Ge has covered me for a long time.
It's quite a bit easier with single coils, I find. I sometimes turn it on at the beginning and turn it off at the end and I have all the clean, grit, drive (wouldn't call it "crunch", really...) and of course fat, wooly fuzz. I crank the fuzz and back it off just a touch until you "feel it change", set the volume where I want it and it's good to go.
I'll put my FD2 back on the board when I build a bigger one, but for now, this is working great.
But I get most of my base drive tones from the amps, so that's where my crunch usually comes from.

The EH Graphic fuzz does an offal lot of things really good. Had one years ago and just bought a new one dont know why I didnt replace it sooner. The only drawback is its size.
Yeah, that seems like a very versatile pedal. But like you said, the problem is its size. The Millie five as I mentioned in the OP would be the most my board could accommodate.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Si fuzz faces have a great medium to high gain overdrive if you can keep from overloading the input. Something with a top mounted input trim can cover a lot of ground. I actually wired the middle pot on one of my strats with a 20k inline trimmer.

ogguitar

I used a FF variant like this at weekly gigs for about 6 months while I was using a Vox backline amp which didn't agree with my main drives. I put mine after an always on compressor to give me more precise control over the amount of gain using my volume knob. I also ran a clean boost after it set at unity to tighten things up just a little. A low-gain overdrive could do the same thing, I just didn't like how my drives were sounding with that specific amp so I used my boost.

MoonshineMan

I used a FF variant like this at weekly gigs for about 6 months while I was using a Vox backline amp which didn't agree with my main drives. I put mine after an always on compressor to give me more precise control over the amount of gain using my volume knob. I also ran a clean boost after it set at unity to tighten things up just a little. A low-gain overdrive could do the same thing, I just didn't like how my drives were sounding with that specific amp so I used my boost.
I found that a treble booster (I use a Beano) after a Ge FF is amazing!!

cuseman731

Silver Supporting Member
One of my favorite tones is a AM Sunface into a Screwdriver Deluxe and then just using the volume knob for different shades of drive. I turned the trimpot down inside to lower the fuzz a bit at the input just like turning down the volume knob. I've tried the Sunface into a bunch of other drives but the Skreddy wins hands down (although I just picked up a HFD to try as well).

MoonshineMan

Mike's Sunlion is an act of genius, btw. I'll just say it. If I didn't already have the basic ingredients, I'd order one in a second. (If I had more money right now....)

rte1023

I've been playing an EQD Spires on a smaller board using the red channel as overdrive. It is their dream crusher which is based on a fuzz face. The green channel is super chewey and busted and has a ton of volume. One of my favorites I've played. Both sound great with the guitar volume rolled back.

71strat

Yes. IMHO a good FF can double as a Drive. What type of drive/OD depends on the circuit type. Germ/Silicon, and an EQ is also nice.

Ive used an Analogman Low Gain Wht Dot Sunface/Sundial for 1 of my OD pedals since 2004.

Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe Classic is a great Silicon Fuzz that can do double duty.

The Mayer Classic Fuzz is also nice/Germanium

Classic Fuzz

71strat

The Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster has BOTH a Silicon/Germanium configuration, in 1 pedal.

History
The Concorde+ Treble Booster is housed in the new Vision Series enclosure design and uses both silicon and germanium transistors in a unique configuration to obtain the best tone qualities from the marriage. When I first started designing pedals in 1961 I produced a Treble Booster that was tried and used by my friends including Jimmy Page who then played in local bands. The circuit configuration I used was a standard textbook example but required careful attention to biasing and selection of transistors to obtain the best from this simple circuit. There were many subsequent commercial versions produced in the 1960's of this type of circuit that followed after the time I first designed mine and now I have designed and produced a much more flexible and enhanced version of my early design. The modern clones produced today of the ultra simple 1960 type treble boosters lack in flexibility and in my opinion are of very limited use. The Concorde + however departs from the clones and uses a unique approach of combining a low noise class A silicon drive circuit with passive tone shaping to drive a fully optimised germanium treble booster. This results in giving the simple circuit new life and explores its sonic boundaries to the maximum. It is now possible to add drive and distortion with EQ before the treble booster section .It is also possible to set the silicon drive section to drive the treble booster section much harder than any guitar pickup could ever do without any added distortion but with the added feature or having EQ prior to the treble booster. So if you want the qualities of soft germanium type distortion overload characteristics that this circuit will produce or you want to explore the more radical germanium distortion possibilities the Concorde+ will oblige. The front panels controls of Drive, Tone and Output control the many tone variations and brings the humble treble booster forward to the future.
The Concorde+ comes in a brand new enclosure design with many added extras to help the modern musician. Many players demand a package that is more modern, flexible and pedal board friendly and will welcome the additional features.

Guitar Effects Pedals by Roger Mayer - Concorde
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/concorde.htm

DGDGBD

The EH Graphic fuzz does an offal lot of things really good. Had one years ago and just bought a new one dont know why I didnt replace it sooner. The only drawback is its size.
I rocked one of those back in the day when they first came out. Not overly fuzz-like, more of an overdrive.

Trending Topics