Fuzz Face to end all Fuzz Faces...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hugh DaMann, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

The only fuzz on my board is an old white dot NKT 275 SunFace (from 2007 I think) very impressive FF

One I seriously regret letting go was an NKT 275 loaded 1st Fuzz from Cornell, It wasn't even the super expensive NOS variant. Denis knows a thing or two about about building a good Fuzz Face....Jimi sure used to agree

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I think my moniker will tell you how much of a fuzz face nut I was/am..

The correct answer IMHO is..Every single clone, variant, originals that I have own/owned, ALL of them have a different character from one another. I think I have/had around 50+ originals, reissues, clones etc. Believe me, there is no "Fuzz Face to end all Fuzz Face"..specially with the originals..the originals, be it silicon or germanium, NKT275 or BC108 etc..will all be tonally slightly different from one another..You really need to go and do the Fuzz Face journey yourself..

But I do have a few clones and reissues that I really love..

Pharoah Fuzz- I know people think that this pedal is NOT a fuzz face, but for me it's a really great tweak able /dynamic Fuzz Face/ Muff style fuzz. Had 2 but sold. I might get one again (typical TGP-er) ;)

[​IMG]

MJM London Fuzz- I think I have almost every variation of this fuzz from MJM. My favourites are the red limited edition "Authentic Vintage Series", the "black label" small box with a bias knob and my first ever LF from 1998. These don't sound "dark" to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DunLop- I think the BEST Fuzz Face I have is a $20 90's reissue that I got, that I originally bought just for the shell....the last owner even sold it as a "broken" pedal..lol. Another favourite is the limited BOG version. I think with Jorge Tripps on board the reissues are more consistent sounding from pedal to pedal ( meaning mostly all sound great).

[​IMG]

Originals- I have a few but my favourite is an old grey one with NKT's. And a black one with BC108's..I really can't suggest to hunt for an original because sound may vary on each...most of them don't sound great and usually comes with scratchy pots, broken switches etc..too much $$ ..go reissues or clones instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some other favourite clones..

Analog Man Surface with bias and white dots and the Ox Fuzz.

And last but not the least. I actually dig the Fuzz Face in my Line 6 M9. It's great that I can tailor/shape the tone of the fuzz. And this is the only Fuzz Face that I use on my board in the past 3-4 years.. go figure...Good Luck!!

[​IMG]

3. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I really think the dunlop blue mini doesn't get the cred is deserves. It's not the most versatile fuzz out there, but it absolutely kills at what it does. Its rarely the single fizz face I pack for the jam, but I love breaking it out for Floyd and over the top blues rock leads.

4. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Member

I still have my red mini because it's just really good.

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

NKT275 analogman Sunface.

6. jojogun1957

jojogun1957 Member

Thanks tubekingsley,

If the Jam sounds like this demo it will work for me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    WWW likes this.
  7. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

lunar module is the best fuzz face type circuit for me. does it ALL really great, like desert island pedal...

other thoughts:

in my fuzz hunt, i found a tone bender variant (eqd tone reaper) was what i actually wanted - the "nasty cut through any mix fuzz" i was lookimg for the whole time

still looking at carcosa sounclips as well, also not a fuzz face, but posesses that nastiness that some guys try to get from their FFs

8. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

That's the demo that won me over, and I think it sounds even better in person. The guitar volume knob clean up is phenomenal, as you can hear in the demo. It exceeded my expectations- Cheers !

jojogun1957 and WWW like this.
  9. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

I had a TI/UK - my very first fuzz face. I foolishly sold it and spend 2 years chasing the sound again. Then I got a chance to buy my pedal back! We'll never part again.

analogmike and WWW like this.
  10. WWW

WWW Supporting Member

Glad you found what you wanted OP. I still hope you cross paths with a fuzz phrase someday. Actually, I hope I cross paths with one again too! Happy fuzzy new year everybody!

11. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Member

Thanks. I've been going back and forth between the Oxfuzz and the Arcane Analog NKT275. Both are great and extremely similar at full bore. The Oxfuzz cleans up better and maintains the highs...but the Arcane is wicked. The Oxfuzz is on the board...for now. The Fuzz Phrase and Third Stone both hold great interest to me though and I may start a small but mighty collection of fuzzes. Maybe that's my New Years resolution.

12. Ben2801

Ben2801 Member

Hi ! How do you compare the AM nkt white normal gain (which I had) with the cv7005 which im interested in ? Thx

13. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

My two favs have been:

- Lumpy's Tone Shop Supa Face. Red Dot NKTs. External bias. Part of the reason I liked it so much was it sounded a skooch different every time I plugged it in, LOL! Also, it did the clean-up thing really well.

- BOG Mini. Consistent and small. I use mine as more of a boost than a flat out stand-alone thing, but it does that well too.

If I could find and/or afford a Berkos Third Stone, I'd definitely try that. The clips always sound amazing.

14. MilesMitchell

MilesMitchell Member

I've owned a lot of fuzz faces in the past...like someone said above me there really is no end all search. It really just depends on which character you like the most.

My personal three favorite were: analogman sunface w/bc183s, original mjm london fuzz and dunlop's jimi hendrix blue fuzz face. Right now I'm playing with a mini version of the latter and am more than satisfied. The mjm was definitely my favorite though, still regret selling it.

Here was my collection at one point (forget the sunbender) with the sunface and mjm present:

[​IMG]

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Berkos Third Stone. If you stack it, it cleans up beautifully. I recommend a Timmy, which allows you to tweak the bass and the treble even more. An EP booster works wonderfully as well.

tinkercity likes this.
  16. pygmychimpanzee

pygmychimpanzee Member

So there is no end for me... :D My favorite is Cornell but the all are beautiful..
    [​IMG]
    Cornell the most juicy for me with the smoothest clean up, then Analog Man NKT's (white dot and red dot) sounds dope but with much less controlled cleanup then Cornell. Hybrid is very open with grit fully CCW and get more comressed and boomy when go CW (sad for me that it come compressed faster then boomy). BOG FF is not even FF but ofc has own character, cleanup with volume drop and staing woolly. Jimi Classic Fuzz is one with buffer and sometimes it just what I need with explosive sound (but not that dynamic). So all Fuzz Faces are beautiful for me. Cheers!

morgan918, Resonance7 and friend33 like this.
  17. 71strat

71strat Member

Got the Mayer Visage 6 weeks ago. Its ended my quest for Fuzz. ( JOKING ) Really a million different sounds available especially when you take into account the Drive/Volume Controls, not to mention 45 different EQs available, and it cleans up BETTER than my Analogman 2004 Wht Dot NKT275... Not that the Analogman is going anywhere.

But the Visage is Dead Quiet, and has enough Gain to cripple the highest gain amplifier.

If you don't have potted pups, and are in close proximity to your amp, theres no way you can use all the Volume/Drive.

Its got huge control over feedback at lower volumes, retains the character/harmonics of the guitar, and works equally well with HBs/Single Coils.

The pedal works by Internal Pins/Banks/Pin Jumpers.

There are 3 Banks, and each Bank controls a different function.

The pedal is 3 Stage/Feedforward.

Bank A Control the Pickup Type/Guitar Volume Knob Interaction

Bank B Controls 2nd Stage Output Coupling, Interaction with Other Pedals,, Amplifier, and or distortion characteristics of the amplifier/pedals in the chain. In other words, its made to work nice with any amplifier/pedals in the chain.

Bank 3 is responsible for Low End Articulation, even when large amounts of Gain are dialed in, and a Feedforward Control Function, that eliminates any lag in the signal... This pedal has 000000 Lag As in NONE. That's 1 reason it works great with DIGITAL GEAR.

It also has a PRK Bank where Unused Pin Jumpers are stored.

The pedal has several rows of 3 Pins Per Row, on each of Bank A B C. The Pin Jumper can jump 2 pins at a time, making 2 selections possible per row. Middle Pin is Ground.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

highfidelity66 and MasterEvan07 like this.
  18. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

+ another (specifically...NKT275 red dot)

In the OP Doyle Bramhall II fuzz sound is mentioned. I came across a video (rig rundown). I don't know if the video was already posted on one of the other pages.

I recall Doyle was using a Sunface in years past. However, the video shows Prescription Electronics (octave/fuzz) and BerkosFX.

Doyle B'II pedal board at 12:32...

mowatsmith likes this.
  19. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Wish I'd kept all my fuzz face style pedals. I probably can't remember them all. Plus the treble boosters, tone benders, etc

Had an AM nkt white dot that had too mounted jacks and a D.C. Plug. Can't be too many of those. Sold it. Big regrets there. But actually I like my sun bender 1.5 better. Owned lots of MJM's, fulltones, addrock, big box fulltones, bearfoot, Diaz, menatone, basic audio, and am. Many others. Makes my head hurt trying to remember them all.

Fuzz faces were a fun passion for a while, but over time the quircks and noise made me use them live less and less.

Skreddy makes the screwdriver, lunar module and hybrid fuzz driver now. They are evolutions of the basic fuzz face and far more practical. Way more useful tones, and don't turn to mush when pushed. No more worries about the temperature, excessive hissing, this battery sounds better than that battery or picking up radio stations. They scratch the fuzz itch without the quirks.

I still own the sunbender, astrotone, a couple fulltones, and Arctic fuzz, two or three old Diaz square faces. Still have fun once in a while with them.

blue62 and bpayne82 like this.
  20. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Hey mapleneck long time no see ;)