Fuzz Face Value question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mixwiz, Dec 14, 2019.

1. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I'm starting to clear out some old stuff and I came across my Fuzz Face I bought new, when I was a kid. I can post a pic later if it helps. Pots date to 1976. The black rubber 'face' is missing but the rest of the graphics are there. I looked on ebay quickly and, as usual, they are all over the place. Any experts want to give me a general idea? Thanks in advance

2. woof*

woof* Member

Just compare to the ones on Reverb. There are several vintage. 60’s are really valuable. 70’s are still high priced but nowhere near the 60’s.
    You probably should just send it to me.

underdog726, songtalk, Tak10 and 4 others like this.
  3. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

That was helpful (reverb). It looks like they've really jumped up in the past couple years. I'm honestly stunned what their worth. I thought it was okay at best.

4. woof*

woof* Member

A good one is worth its weight in gold. Sadly only a few are that good.
    Find your pedals year and condition and price it accordingly. If it doesn’t sell then drop the price a bunch.
    They are only worth what someone is willing to pay in a reasonable timeframe.
    I said Reverb because there are many more on there than eBay.
    Fuzzfaces are my favorite effect. You might contact Chris at Pedal Pawn Reverb store. He would give you a very fair offer, he’s an expert on vintage fuzz.

coltonius likes this.
  5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I dated the pots to 76, I'm going to look for the black rubber face in my pile of parts. I'll contact Chris as it's been my experience that they can usually get a bit more at retail than just some guy on the internet. I just sold a 73 Les Paul black beauty. I couldn't get more than 3K for it on Reverb and ebay. Local shop (Willies) paid 4 without batting an eye (of course he's listed it at 6K but that's the way it works). Thanks for your help. I'll look for the parts, make sure it works and contact Chris.

woof* likes this.
  6. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

https://reverb.com/item/30054882-dallas-arbiter-fuzz-face
    Is yours like this one ?

7. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

8. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

About five years ago, that 1976 Dallas Industries reissue was only going for around $400. Recently, they have been selling for more, but that seller will only get about half of the listed price. Dave didn't start working for Crest until the mid-80's, the '76 reissue in the taller enclosure, was the pedal he used as a testing platform to design his Crest version.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  9. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Check out "Completed auctions" on Ebay & Reverb.

10. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I would never buy a vintage fuzz face from Reverb. They can be great or complete crap - you never know without actually playing it. So, if I had the chance to test it and I loved it I could pay even $500ish. Without the possibility to try it, I wouldn’t pay more than $200ish. If it sucked I’m sure I could then easily get my money back.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  11. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Yes, that's it and it is stupid money. In looking through sold ones on reverb and the bay, it does seem that they are doing 6 to 8 hundred which is boggling to me. Somewhere in the pile of gear is a couple LPB-1s. Are they worth millions as well? Yikes.

12. FF71

FF71 Member

Put it on e Ebay with a 1k reserve and see where would that lead you. I have played one those versions myself.

Btw, you can also get a replacement rubber pad somewhere. Well, Dunlop used to sell them.

13. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Calling it a ’76 reissue would be a misnomer. They hadn't discontinued the Fuzz Face. The last british made models have late 75 and early 76 pot codes. Maybe we should call it the US made version.

14. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

I agree completely, thank you for clarifying. I've always considered those deep dish enclosures to be the last of the originals. I wanted to find out what year Dave Fox started working for Crest/ Dallas Industries, and found an article where Dave calls it a reissue, I was quite surprised. I think he considers it a reissue because of the taller enclosure, and USA manufacturer. But I agree with what you're saying.

15. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I started at Crest in Nov 1984 as a mixing board technician. It wasn't until summer-fall of 1986 when I started bugging my boss about making FF's. I called it a reissue because that's what other people were calling them. John Lee, the president of DMI probably started that.

I think that the tall blue FF's were made in England during a transitional time. They were shipped to the new operation in NJ at the same time as a batch of Trem Faces and Kelsey Mixing boards. The new operation continued the production of Kelsey mixers and distributed things made by the parent company in England. There were other products. An acoustic guitar pickup, some kind of saxophone product, direct boxes and some other things. The intention with the taller enclosure was to build other pedals in the USA with more circuitry. There were plans that never went anywhere. I have schematics kicking around for a fuzz pedal and a fuzz-wah pedal that were drawn up for that line. Same old familiar circuitry.

When we started making the FF's in 1986, we didn't have the tooling for those tall enclosures. Probably lost in a foundry in England. So I took the remaining tall blue one that I found in the stock room and I gutted it. It was used to make a mold which was then modified to be what the Crest FF's were made from. That mold got modified again after the first batch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Tom Von Kramm and Jazzmaster60 like this.
  16. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Yeah, I've read that article, too. I guess he may not been aware that there were british made Fuzz Faces that date to the mid-70's..

17. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Lots of good information, very interesting.

18. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

While we're talking about Fuzz Face enclosures, here's something I always wanted to get off my chest. This is for all the people with a Crest FF who wonder what they were thinking with that lame attempt to keep the battery in place. Don't blame me!

I was 22, going on 23, so I did not have much clout in the company. I came up with the idea of bringing back Fuzz Faces and I was put in charge. But there were guys above me who could overrule my decisions. One, in particular was the battery problem.

The original FF's had a battery clip screwed to the inside of the enclosure. The tall blue FF's from the 70's had a battery holder which was mounted on the bottom plate with two wires going to the main FF- one to the circuit board and the other to the input jack (battery ground). So that's how we started making them in 1986. I thought it sucked. You could almost get away with it in the tall blue enclosure but not in a normal height one. Too much chance of the battery hitting the components on the circuit board. Also, the holder sucked and having a wire in between sucked. It's just asking to be broken off.

So I proposed that we modify the mold so there is a battery compartment making it so the battery stays in place with the bottom on. My idea was to make 3 little mountains in the mold that trap the battery to make it stay put. Sort of like the way it is in a Klon. I did a proof-of-concept with bits of styrofoam glued into a FF shell. I also did the same thing with the center screw hole, making it like a mountain in the middle so it's easier to put the screw in and there's more thread to screw into. Everyone thought they were great ideas. Instead of letting me proof a sample, they just went and ordered the enclosures.

When the FF shells came, I checked one out. There was one mountain with a ridge in it, not three like I specified. I blew up. How does a battery stay in place? Who's idea was this? Apparently the price of extra aluminum would have put it over the top? I don't know.. but I was pissed. Then the rocket scientist who overruled my idea without telling me explained how you carefully position the battery to stay in place. Still didn't stay in place.. so I came up with the idea of gluing chunks of the rubber pad to the bottom to try and fix the problem. But it's lame, most people just lay the battery sideways and hope for the best. This always bothered me. If you've been annoyed by that, I'm sorry. Now you know the rest of the story.

J-Flanders, chilln, Sean Mac and 2 others like this.
  19. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Wow. I've certainly learned a lot about FFs. Thanks for all the info. Really cool stuff.

20. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Very interesting. The tall blue ones are such a radical break. New enclosure, different layout, entirely different components. With the ICC caps and CTS pots I always figured they must have been US made. I haven't seen any with "Made in England" stickers either. But then again the transistors were made by Siemens Halske...