Fuzz Factory or Skreddy Mayo??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by staplek, Jun 29, 2006.

1. staplek

staplek Member

Lokking foremost for a rich warm fuzz ala fripp or pumpkins but versatility is always good. I havent played either first hand, just heard clips. What's your experience?

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Listen to "Island in the Sun" by Weezer for a great example of a sweet lead tone with the Fuzz Factory. The thing can do dozens of different sounds and is really fun, too. Warmth isn't its most striking characteristic, though. A Mayo will get you most of the way there for a lot of typical Pumpkins sounds. If you want a bit more juice for the Fripp tones, the "? Lady" pedal is a hotrodded, fatter version.

You'd like either one, but I think a Skreddy is more in line with your question.

And I'm completely neutral. :angel

Warning: this communication was made by an evil pedal builder who can not be trusted.

3. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hey Marc - I really hope your right ;) Can't wait to get my hands on that canary yellow flat-mids baby you got cooking for me :dude

4. staplek

staplek Member

5. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've never tried a Fuzz Factory, so I can't respond to that. I did recently acquire a Skreddy Zero (no longer available) from a fellow forumite. I've tried just about every Muff variant out there and the Zero has turned out to be my personal favorite. It will definitely do a righteous Pumpkins tone! I think the Mayo is supposed to a bit mellower, but if it's anywhere near as cool as the Zero you'll love it.

6. jordanL

jordanL Member

I haven't experienced any of the Skreddy pedals yet, so I can't comment there. I do have a fuzz factory. Its a great pedal thats cabable of many different cool sounds, but it can take some work to find them. and its often not easy to reproduce a previously found tone.

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The Mayo is going to be smoother and the Fuzz Factory more sputtery/splatty (but not in a bad way).

8. staplek

staplek Member

what other fuzz pedals out there produce a 'mellower' or 'warmer' fuzz?

9. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

MJM Foxy Fuzz, D*A*M Ram's Head, Baja Tech Da Moaf; basically the tones you're asking about are Big Muff tones, so anything based on that stands a good chance of working for you.

10. staplek

staplek Member

you must make a damn good fuzz being that u are being so honest about recommending other fuzzes! out of curiosity, do any guitar stores in nyc carry you're pedal?

thanks

11. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Or I could make a crappy fuzz and use "honesty" as a ruse to get people to by my products. :D haha Seriously, there is room for everybody, and everyone's stuff has its own personality. Why not have lots of people making specialized versions of fuzzes for their particular tastes? Why not try them all?

But no, I don't have any dealers in NYC yet. 30th Street Guitars seems pretty cool, though. I've bought stuff from them in the past. http://www.30thstreetguitars.com/home.htm

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I'll brag for him. He does make a damn good fuzz based on the only one that I have tried! Ironically, the Zero is now my Number One pedal.

The Baja Tech Da Moaf is my second choice. It's not quite as smooth as the Skreddy, but has a bit more of an open sound. Both the Zero and the Da Moaf have a nice broad frequency response and are relatively quiet for all of the gain you get.

The D*A*M Ram Head doesn't quite have the same punch as the other two, but is still a very fine smooth fuzzl. It has more bass rolloff than the others if you need that.

I would stay away from the Euthymia ICBM based upon your requirements, but it's still a very cool pedal. It has a really nice snarly krrrang that works for certain things.

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I cant wait to get my hands on the mayo Im havving built!!!...should be here in 2-3 weeks, marc had some probelms with some overseas parts, what a cool guy though!...Too bad he doesnt make the zero, ernie, or mayonaise anymore!!!! Im so mad!!! I would of purchased the whole line!!! Im especially mad about the zero!!! I wanted one soooo bad!...sorry for all the excalmation marks!

14. Phineas

Phineas Member

so if i want fripp (think starless song on the red album 3:30 minuntes in) and frusciante fuzz sustain, even pumpkins - which skreddy or other pedal would do it the best? does anyone have clips of the skreddy lady in action. I'd like to hear the possible frippage on it.

basically looking for the fattest warmest longest sustain running fuzz machine out there. I have the Fuzz Factory too which i love a lot for the sustain and versatility just looking for something else.

15. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

When my skreddy gets here (hopefully tommorow) I'll let you know how the mayo does.

16. Phineas

Phineas Member

love to hear about it.

17. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

I dont know really anything about the skreddy line. I needed something that would do my big muff sound, but half the size, So I got the mayo. Should be here by tommorow.

18. cameron

cameron Member

Right. The more pertinent omission is discussion of the ? Lady. How would that pedal do, compared to the Mayo, in terms of getting the "Fripp or Pumpkins" sounds that the original poster asked about?

19. drolling

drolling Member

I wouldn't exactly call it "mellow", but if you equate "warmth" w/lo-end response, my old Rx Experience is one of the fattest, bassiest fuzzes in my collection. It's silicon, so there's not a trace of that germanium *sparkle* we all know & love - but it's one of the thickest, greasiest sounding fuzzes I've heard. Does a great 'broken-amp' imitation, too.

20. Phineas

Phineas Member

Yeah let's hear some Lady vs Mayo talk :)

Essentially which get's the cello fripp sustain tones? Does one cut through better than the other? Is one better with single coils as oppossed to HBs? Also curious how any of these skreddy's would do on the high gain channel amps especially an orange rv100.