• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fuzz for Classic Rock rhythm

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
Im looking for a fuzz pedal that sounds great for chords. My band plays classic rock, like Neil Young, Sabbath, Stones and newer rock like Black Keys.

My drives are an Amp11 and a Rat. What fuzz do you recommend?

Weeziewow

I would recommend a ToneBender-style pedal with a bias knob (tonebender for classic rock chords, bias knob for spittiness/velcro). I run one (SolidGoldFX Rosie) into my Rat and it starts to sag beautifully, just like those old records by The Creation.

JesterR

Do you really need fuzz for rock rhythm? I believe, that from your list only Dan Auerbach are uses fuzz (Big muff) for some rhythmic stuff. However, most of his fuzz is for riffs, not that rhythm stuff per se.

MemorymanDL

I would recommend a ToneBender-style pedal with a bias knob (tonebender for classic rock chords, bias knob for spittiness/velcro). I run one (SolidGoldFX Rosie) into my Rat and it starts to sag beautifully, just like those old records by The Creation.
Tonebenders are great fun when you get a good one. I've had a JHS Firefly for a couple years now, and it's been my favourite Bender style fuzz.

With the bias and EQ, you can make it sound nothing like a tonebender, but that ruins half the fun.

MoonshineMan

Those are all pretty different. Just get a good Fuzz and play what works. Rhythm is a style, not a tone.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
A fuzz face is usually great for this but some you have to dial back a bit either with the guitars volume or a trimmer pot. My typical grab and go FF has a top mounted input trim, perfect for dialing back on the fly. A lot of the time lately I take it trimmed back a bit and my blue mini for Floyd and over the top fuzz.

meowtorhead

The Skreddy Screw Driver will deliver the tones you seek. It's an amazingly versatile pedal. I set mine to roar and use the vol knob to clean it up. Open chords sound and feel really good, rather than turning to mush. I push mine with a RAT and it's a winning combination for me.

71strat

Germ/ Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz.

Silicon/Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe Classic

Yet to be released.. Will be released soon.

Mayer Visage Fuzz.

Parallel Processing Fuzz/Distortion

Mayer Kuro Kage

Mayer Metalloid

jonthomas83

Check out living room gear demos on youtube, he uses many any has a phenomenal rhythm tone IMO. but the one I particularly like is his demo of the Hudson Broadcast which does chords beautifully...big chunky rhythm sounds for a fuzz, which I wouldn't usually use for this type of application.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom