Fuzz for Clean Amp???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fzkicksbuttock, Jan 10, 2006.

1. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Hey, I play out of a failry dark-sounding, Deluxe Reverb-style amp. I'm playing a les paul and am looking for a fuzz. In the past, i've tried the voodoo labs superfuzz as well as the Xvex Fuzz Factory. The problem is that I always play with a clean tone (and get overdrive from stompboxes). From what I've gathered, almost everyone who uses a fuzz runs it into an already overdriven amp.

So what can get me that warm, dark, fuzzy tone on a totally clean 6v6 amp?

Thanks.

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

Pedalworx mcfuzz

3. drolling

drolling Member

I dunno, man. I thought they invented fuzz for old guys like me who never let go of their first amp. I use pedals like modern players use channel switching. OD = crunch ryhthm, distortion/fuzz = solo, OD+dist+fuzz = hehehe....

I come from the school of pulling power tubes halfway out, or intentionally using *blown* speakers, so almost any pedal out there works for me.

I had a VL Superfuzz, but I like more gain, more bass, more everything, plus the newer VL pedals have the switch mounted on the board, which I'm not crazy about.

There's so many cool fuzzes out there now, but I've picked up a few used ones that have fallen out of fashion; Fulltone '69 & 70 for the *early* & *late* Jimi tones, Fulltone Soulbender for early Jimmy (Page) tones. You don't hear much about Prescription Electronics anymore, but I've got an early, swirly Experience pedals that's just excellent for those "WTF!?!AMP-BLOW-UP!" moments..it also does piercing, sizzling octavefuzz....mmm...octavefuzzz..

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

I've just started on the fuzz quest myself, but already I've found 2 very important things:

1. The speaker is more important than the tone stack or power tubes. If you have a Jensen-style speaker you'll have a tough time getting most fuzzes to sound any good. The BJF PPF is an apparent exception to this. I've found the Celestion Neo Dog to work really well with both the bright channels of a Vox AC30CC and a '65 Deluxe RI.

2. Fuzz MUST come first, no buffer in front!!! If you put a buffer before many fuzzes, the fuzz will sound incredibly thin and bright. There are some fuzzes that are built to go after a buffer, but I don't know how well they "clean-up" from the volume knob.

You can also try running your fuzz into an overdrive first, but the tone stacks of the two pedals need to match up well or you might find the sound "flubbing" out, especially on the wound strings.

5. alguit

alguit Guest

Pete Cornish's fuzz pedals, the P2 and G2, are intended to be used in front of clean-tone amps. Pricey, but great tone from each.

6. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

My speaker is a Celestion Alnico Blue, not sure if that helps.

Any other reccomendations? I'm definately NOT into the treble-booster/tonebender type of sound. I really like the clips of the Fulltone '70 on the the fulltone webiste, but I have a feeling hte pedal won't sound like this with my amp/setup.

I use an Analog Man modded tubescreamer for my overdrive, and have an analog man comprossor on 24/7.

7. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Brian Marshall of SubDecay Studios has a very nice Fuzz with great controls. It's called the Flying Tomato Fuzz.

8. onemind

onemind Member

I've been getting great tones with a Frantone "the Sweet" into the "Roll" input of a univalve...Its a bit of a pushed sound without kicking in the fuzz but just barely, The sustain just turned up the slightest bit gets a great lead sound with very balanced mids.

9. dave s

dave s Member

Right now, I'm running an Analogman Sunface into a dead clean Matchless amp. Works very well. Granted, my amp is pretty bright to begin with, but I make sure it leans a bit toward the dull side so it takes pedals better.

The best thing about the Sunface is the ability to present a wide variety of fuzz tones using the volume knob on the guitar. One thing I like to do is turn on the fuzz and roll the guitar volume way back to clean it up. At the end of a song, sometimes I'll roll the guitar volume wide open and the pedal helps the rig break into the beautifully rich harmonic feedback.

Problem is, you don't find the Sunface fuzz up for sale much. I think mine came from a GP member, but don't remember. It's been on the board for about a year and appears to be a 'keeper.'

Before that, I tried the Fulltone Soul Bender. Like most of the Fulltone line, it was pretty edgy and kind of sharp sounding. The Sunface is smooth as silk and will hold notes indefinitely.

dave

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

These do seem to work with any amp and they're not fussy about placement. They don't clean up like most fuzzes however, which is why you end up with different boxes for different levels of gain. Great pedals.

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

sounds like you want something in the BC109 silicon transistor vein.

I'd definately try a MCFuzz.

Maybe talk to Bjorn Juhl about it too. (BJF) He's very knowledgeable about transistors.

12. cameron

cameron Member

I don't know about that. I find that most fuzz pedals work best in front of a clean amp, and turn your sound to mud if the amp is distorting. The fuzz pedals that work well in front of distortion are few and far between: Tone Bender types work well when the amp is cranked, as does the J.Everman Fuzz Drive.

With the Superfuzz, and definitely with the Fuzz Factory, I'd want the amp as clean as a whistle.

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

David of D*A*M suggests the Drag'n'Fly with clean amps. He even gives some sample settings I think. Apparently should work on dirty and clean amps depending on the settings. Hopefully I'll have one this spring and I can tell you more...

14. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Make things easy on yourself: for a clean amp, try a few Big Muffs- they're less tempermental with clean American amps than the other major circuit types. Oh, and turn off the compressor when it's on, that's overkill with humbuckers.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Are you sure your deluxe will stay clean at playing level volumes? I had a WeberVST clone of a Alnico Celestion Blue speaker. It sounded great, but had very little headroom. Great for a Led Zeppelin/Tom Petty sound with my EL84 amp. But it distorted very quickly. I have an EL84 Carmen Ghia, which is about as loud as a Super Reverb with a 1x12" for 18 watts (conservative rating, Class A, other factors)... so I don't think you're going to have much more headroom than I did, but they are different amps and maybe the WeberVST version of the speaker has less headroom than the Celestion version (I can see people wanting decreased headroom)...

Maybe you're playing quietly...

Anyway, even if you don't like the treble booster thing, the Hellbilly only does that with the tone knob cranked to the right. To the left, it's more like a germanium fuzz face, warmer and bassier (with a rasp)... there is a gain control, so you can make it warmer by backing off on the gain, turning the tone to the left, then boost the signal some as well. It is a germanium->silicon fuzz/booster pedal.

So, unless you're playing really quietly in your house, I'm thinking a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb with an Alnico (less headroom than ceramic) Celestion Blue (definitely nowhere near as much headroom as my Ceramic WeberVST speaker of a similar design or especially my WeberVST ceramic JBL 12" clone in my Leslie- at least in the Weber version) will probably be turned up loud enough to use a normal fuzz pedal, rather than one that will sound good into a clean amp. We're not dealing with an 85 watt 2x12" Twin with the volume on 2.5 (still really loud!).

At what point does the amp break up? 5/6? I find with my amps (I also have a 6v6 18 watt Fender Champ II), about halfway or so is cooking enough to work really great with boost/fuzz pedals, just so the power section is going and some air is being moved by the speaker. About halfway is usually at least loud enough. You don't necessarily need to "crank" the amp all the way where you're getting really noticable distortion to use a fuzz, although they sound great (and loud!) that way as well. I'll bet that you like the clean better on 5 or 6 than 2 or 3 anyway, it becomes richer and livelier. So, with your amp and speaker, I think you'd be just fine at least trying out normal fuzz pedals. The Hellbilly is a great one. I also have heard great things about the AnalogMan and Keeley fuzzes ("Sun Face" and "Fuzz Head"). I think KR Musical Products has a couple nice boxes for less bread. I want their Doubler Octavia clone.

16. 6789

6789 Member

The VintageFX Fuzz Riot has a very good tone knob to give bright or dark fuzz. this fuzz is the bumble bee type like Davie Allan and the Arrows song Blues Theme.

17. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Fuzz Nutz or Textone Fuzz Nutz would suit this need I reckon.
    Do a Google search and find the best price.

(Assuming you want radical fuzz...)

-Jon