Fuzz For Hendrix Tones

I'm in search of a good fuzz pedal to play Hendrix songs. I've got the wah. I've got the Strat. I've got the SL Drive for the Marshall sound. I just need the fuzz. Everything I've read says Fuzz Face. I can't wrap my head around a round pedal. It would drive me insane. I know that's picky but it is what it is.

Things I've tried:

Dunlop Band Of Gypsys Fuzz Mini JHW4 - Could not tame. It seemed out of control immediately. Felt like it went from 0 to 11 just looking at the fuzz knob. No build up. Balls to the wall or nothing.

JHS Series 3 Fuzz - Sounded thin and just wasn't a fan. Hard to explain but just wasn't it for me.

Way Huge Swollen Pickle - Would have loved it when I was a Smashing Pumpkins fan back in middle school. Holy hell. It's a beast. Just not in the Hendrix realm.

Things I've considered:

MXR Classic 108 Fuzz Mini. I've heard it's similar to a Fuzz Face but more the shape I'm after.

Dunlop 69 Psych Fuzz Face Mini JHW1. Looks like it offers a lot but can't find one under $300 in the U.S.

Dunlop Fuzz Face JHM5. I like the shape but no clue how it sounds.

What I need? I really don't know. I just want a rectangle pedal that sounds like Hendrix. It isn't thin, shrill or farty. But it isn't too thick and hairy. I don't even know if I'm making sense. I'm lost and don't have a clue. Send help!

bluesuede

Documented Miscreant
Silver Supporting Member
For Are You Experience, Jimi used a germanium Fuzz Face, not sure about Axis. By Electric Ladyland, he was using a silicon Fuzz Face. The Fulltone 69 will get you there for germanium. The Fulltone 70 is a silicon FF, but I have no personal experience with it. The key to a Fuzz Face is dining the fuzz knob and controlling the actual distortion with you guitars volume knob. Much of Hendrix's clean tones were FF into an on the edge of breakup Marshall with the guitar's volume turned down to the desired amount of cleanliness.

hafizimran

When it comes to Fuzz Faces, there are three companies that I feel have a solid understanding of the assignment - Analog Man, Dunlop, Foxrox.

Sure there are other companies/persons that make better or worse Fuzz Faces but if you get a Sun Face and couldn’t at least make it work, it’s probably something else in your signal chain or you may have a different expectation of what a Fuzz Face is. Best of luck!

cmacalpine

MI Audio Neo Fuzz V2 Germanium for early Hendrix

Fulltone 70's Fuzz Silicon for later Hendrix.
I have the Strats, Marshall and these pedals work amazingly

Trainwreck

Silver Supporting Member
These sound superb! Isle of tone , Kingtone
C69B6794-5E5A-4639-B0D9-B64A5EDE4198.jpeg
29CA7E60-F569-4820-86A3-6DE6FE4D3AC0.jpeg

killer blues

fulltone 69 for budget and bang for buck.
ignore unobtanium or overpriced recommendations. sunface is a great bump up.
or, check out the fulltone octafuzz oc2. very very close to a tyco octavia with a very useable silicon fuzz. 130 bucks. got to have an octavia if you are into hendrix.

El Phaco

There's a bunch of good FF, you just have to play a lot with your guitar's volume knob. If you play a clean amp, put your OD after the fuzz and set it to light crunch.

PhuzzphayzZ

oy, just get a '69....'70....or OctaFuzz (which you can switch out the Octave)....OR, the DunlopMini equivalent

OP said CHEEPCHEEP??? right?

soooooooooooooooooo done with the FFace controversies... no one likes to hear that FT and Dunlop are "just fine"... but they are

if you're unsure, you DON'T have to spend more than say @$100...less Used

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
i could write a really long response and recommend really expensive pedals ..but if you dont have a fuzz and want a hendrix sort of sound i would get the dunlop classic 108, its cheap, i believe the circuit was originally designed as a hendrix tribute fuzz, then later they put it in a smaller box and added a buffer, has a buffer if your wah doesn't, cuts better than germanium ...i think you can find the mini around $80....then once you get used to it you can get an analogman ...bc108, bc183, 2n or bart

bluesuede

Documented Miscreant
Silver Supporting Member
There's a bunch of good FF, you just have to play a lot with your guitar's volume knob. If you play a clean amp, put your OD after the fuzz and set it to light crunch.
Right on about the OD with a clean amp. I can't play at break up volumes, so I run my Fulltone 69 into a JHS Charlie Brown (I use the power of imagination to pretend *m running into a cranked Marshall) set to breakup.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom