Fuzz guys..help a brotha out.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Dec 16, 2009.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

hey guys..i finally have my fuzz search narrowed down.im either going with the sunface nkt275 high gain..or the sunface bc108.what are the main tonal differences.do you guys have any advice when making this decision?

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Don't mean to be rude, but how do you know that both is either what you need if you don't even know what the differences are?

but to answer your question. The Sunface is based on the legendary Fuzz Face. Famous fuzz pedal used by Hendrix and few other famous guitar slingers.

To know more about Fuzz Faces.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/arbiter/fuzzface

3. billyg121

ive heard many demos,and what my ears tell me is not what the experts say.to me the ge fuzz sounds more fuzzy/hairy..which i like.most of what i read says if you want more gain and fuzz..you should go with si.that said,i think both sunfaces mentioned sound awesome.any thoughts?

4. soulcactus

soulcactus Member

I have owned both AMan Fuzz' and both are good, but give the '70 pedal by Fulltone a whirl for the Band of Gypsys is great! If you can get a '69 Pedal by Fulltone that is great too. It is just the difference of Germanium Transistor Fuzz vs. Silicon Transistor Fuzz. Silicon is hotter & Germanium is smoother. I recommend checking out the OX Fuzz NKT 274, which is pretty frickin' awesome for the Germanium Fuzz! The ZVEX Fuzzfactory is good, but lacks a little body in my opinion, but its tone and it is all subjective to everyone. The best advice is to try a bunch of different units if you can, and see what works well for you with your amp & guitar. What works well for you, may not work well for someone else. Good luck and MTFBWY!

5. billyg121

thanks for the info...btw,do most fuzzes not like hot pups?

6. sabby

sabby Member

I have a High Gain NKT275 and I think it's perfect. You can get lots of gain at full bore on the fuzz, or moderate gains with the fuzz at 3:00-3:30.

But the coolest thing is that the gain hangs a while roll back your volume knob. The one standard gain SunFace I briefly had cleaned so fast that it's nearly an on/off pedal, with too little play on the volume knob for my tastes. THe High Gain cleans well, especially with the Fizz rolled back, and gets bright and clear at about 6 on my Strat's volume knob when the pedal's fuzz is at 3:30 or 4:00.

I had a BC108 from another manufacturer and it was fun, but still abrasive with my Fender amps and Strat/Teles in the way Si fuzzes can be.

But the High Gain NKT remains smooth and raunchy all at once. It's pretty damned temperature stable, too. I never had it quit from 55 on through 95 degrees F. If you're anything like me, you can't go wrong with this one.

Too cool.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The high gain NKT Sunface is a BLAST to play and use...more gain than a standard Ge Fuzz Face but not as much as s typical Si Fuzz Face...a little brighter, more sustain...al around a great pedal!

That said a good BC108 FF is great too...even more gain and sustain, a little more top end still but does not have the classic Ge tone...