Fuzz Help!

DavidRAZ

I wanted to get a fuzz pedal. My considerations: Vick Audio Violet Rams Head, EQD Hoof and Magnetic Effects White Atom. Any suggestions or comments on this pedals?

Mark.B

I've been eyeballing the White Atom for quite some time. I think it's the most versatile of the useful fuzzes.

Last edited:

BoTheMu

I just got a white atom and like it a lot. It's not a muff though.

What sound are you going for?

stevel

"crime"? Is that the new "dope" (which has seen an recent resurgence)?

David Ramirez, I suggest a lot of research. There are different "families" of fuzz out there. So it really does depend on what kind of sound you're going for.

Having just posted a fuzz thread myself, it's a really, really, really, broad family of sounds - some of which are quite specific - though no one here really seems to be able to point to those specificities, or even generalities. So it's probably better to find a sound you want to make, find out what was used, and buy one of that type, rather than to just buy a fuzz pedal and find out it's not what you want (and possibly make you think *all* fuzz pedals are that way).

It's kind of like an overdrive pedal - there's overdrive, and distortion, and then there are lots of "families" - TS style, Rat style, and so on. One type usually won't cover everything you want, so you have to know what you want going in.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
David Ramirez, I suggest a lot of research. There are different "families" of fuzz out there. So it really does depend on what kind of sound you're going for.

Having just posted a fuzz thread myself, it's a really, really, really, broad family of sounds - some of which are quite specific - though no one here really seems to be able to point to those specificities, or even generalities. So it's probably better to find a sound you want to make, find out what was used, and buy one of that type, rather than to just buy a fuzz pedal and find out it's not what you want (and possibly make you think *all* fuzz pedals are that way).

It's kind of like an overdrive pedal - there's overdrive, and distortion, and then there are lots of "families" - TS style, Rat style, and so on. One type usually won't cover everything you want, so you have to know what you want going in.
:huh Not sure what this means? Just go to the Strictly Fuzz! thread, lots of generalities, specificities, comparisons, clips (both solo and in musical applications), differences when used with different gear/rigs, discussions of application to differing musical goals/styles, etc.

The rest of the post is spot-on though. Fuzz is a most variable animal.

OP, The question you ask is kind of meaningless, sort of like asking, "Where should I live? Paris, LA, or on a farm in Norway?"

You will get more meaningful input if you specify the type of tones you are going for, the type(s) of music that you play, and the guitar(s) and amp(s) that you typically use.

BluesHarp

Yea.. OP needs to have a better idea of what he wants.
Also, those three pedals im sure ( with the right guitar/amp ) sound awesome.
Name a band or a song with a tone you like... or describe the fine details you want.. like smooth, un-compressed, natural high end, big low end, scooped mids, high gain, used for lead only, used for this __ guitar and amp.... etc, etc.
I loved the Hoof but replaced it with a very different fuzz, the Analogman SunBender MK4. Very similar gain levels but the SunBender has a more bell like clear high end and more prominent mids.. better for lead and it has a more early classic rock mojo to it. Nothing wrong with the Hoof though.. best muff ive ever owned, but now I dont even own a muff.

I wanted to get a fuzz pedal. My considerations: Vick Audio Violet Rams Head, EQD Hoof and Magnetic Effects White Atom. Any suggestions or comments on this pedals?
Depends.

What kind of music do you play?
Which guitar?
Which pickups?
Which amp?
Do you like gnarly 60's sounds?
Big 90's sounds?
Zeppelin?
Gilmour?
Innagotta davita?

DavidRAZ

Depends.

What kind of music do you play?
Which guitar?
Which pickups?
Which amp?
Do you like gnarly 60's sounds?
Big 90's sounds?
Zeppelin?
Gilmour?
Innagotta davita?
I play indie, hot blues kind of music, I got a Epiphone Wilshire with minihumbuckers through a Vox AC30. I prefer 90s sounds. I'm trying to get a versatile an dynamic fuzz.

BoTheMu

Less bass and more mids than a muff.

The texture knob sounds like a bias control. Spit, crackle and gating at one end (a muff can't do that) and full, fat sustain at the other. Versatile is the word.

It generally feels quite modern. It's doesn't sag like a fuzz face. More like a silicon tonebender in a tuxedo.

It's very dynamic and will do 90's alt stuff easily but won't nail Siamese dream like some muffs do.

(I recently owned a hoof and it's a great muff pedal. Can't really go wrong here.)

I play indie, hot blues kind of music, I got a Epiphone Wilshire with minihumbuckers through a Vox AC30. I prefer 90s sounds. I'm trying to get a versatile an dynamic fuzz.
The two that come to mind:
Fuzzhugger algal bloom
Basic audio lucky number

Both are full sounding, but not like big muffs. Both are versatile and dynamic

BluesHarp

This sounds great. Some of it is a bit fizzy.. but in a cool overdrive flavor kind of way.

I wonder what fuzz pedal it was loosely based on??
Part of it reminds me of a Swart Fuzzy Boost...

Last edited:

MangoMango

Gold Supporting Member
I owned a White Atom. Nice pedal but not your typical fuzz. I like gated sounds and white the Atom delivered, i was surprised to find that the sputtering sounds covered quite a bit more of the range than anticipated.
I think you might like the Bearefoot Candy Apple Fuzz. Anything Skreddy is a winner.
The repro MkI MkII MK III pedals are a blast as well.

Empros

http://www.shoepedals.com/plume.html

"The Plume is designed to produce a thick and heavy distortion sound reminiscent of those heard on many classic 90s alternative rock albums."

Hoof is a great option too if you want a Muff. Though personally, I would struggle to call any Muff versatile except the BA Alter Destiny. Most Muffs are more one trick pony type deals IMO. But it's a damn good trick!

Duck_Dude

Beware because your amp can be picky with some fuzz, especially muff styled. Anything in rat family or fuzz face is more easily accepted.

Trending Topics