• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fuzz help

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
Recently picked up a killer MKIII tonebender clone. The germanium isnt playing nice with either an rjm pbc/6x buffer and /or HX stomp impedance. It sounds so much better right into clean channel… but thats not how I can run. Any advice on plscement or settings to get best sound of it?

tubekingsley

Recently picked up a killer MKIII tonebender clone. The germanium isnt playing nice with either an rjm pbc/6x buffer and /or HX stomp impedance. It sounds so much better right into clean channel… but thats not how I can run. Any advice on plscement or settings to get best sound of it?
You just place this this directly before the fuzz, and adjust the knob

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
You just place this this directly before the fuzz, and adjust the knob
Very cool. If I put the tonbender III in a loop of the rjm PBC/6X...... I assume I need to put this passive pickup simulator in front of fuzz in the same loop. Basically, two pedals in one loop?

johnnyg88

Gold Supporting Member
cant you turn off the buffer for the fuzz presets specifically with the RJM switchers? Assuming that the HX is after the fuzz pedal loop, that might help!

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
cant you turn off the buffer for the fuzz presets specifically with the RJM switchers? Assuming that the HX is after the fuzz pedal loop, that might help!
I did and it helps a little...but it has two buffers. I can turn off the input buffer, but the insert loop, has HX Stomp in it, has a buffer thats always on. My set up is a little different in that I have the HX stomp set up for split paths. I have HX in insert loop of RJM so I can place it around the other pedals in the loops, but I also go out of RJM back into HX later down in signal chain to use the delays and reverbs. So I have that insert loop buffer and the impedances of HX factoring into play. I ordered that passive pickup simulator pedal and will see how that helps.

johnnyg88

Gold Supporting Member
I did and it helps a little...but it has two buffers. I can turn off the input buffer, but the insert loop, has HX Stomp in it, has a buffer thats always on. My set up is a little different in that I have the HX stomp set up for split paths. I have HX in insert loop of RJM so I can place it around the other pedals in the loops, but I also go out of RJM back into HX later down in signal chain to use the delays and reverbs. So I have that insert loop buffer and the impedances of HX factoring into play. I ordered that passive pickup simulator pedal and will see how that helps.
gotcha! I do the same thing with a different switcher, it’s a great option to have some effects earlier on and some later with the HX stomp/Effects. I just have to put the HX after my fuzz loop since my switcher doesn’t have moveable loops. I go loop 1 (fuzz) > buffer > loop 2 (HXFX effects loop) > loop3 etc > HXFX In

unfortunately this means I can’t put effects before the fuzz loop but I make it work (sometimes fuzz into HX poly pitch actually sounds great!)

I’m planning on getting the PBC 6X soon, so I’d love to hear how that pickup simulator works for you!

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
I’m planning on getting the PBC 6X soon, so I’d love to hear how that pickup simulator works for you!
will report back as soon as I can test out.

I go loop 1 (fuzz) > buffer > loop 2 (HXFX effects loop) > loop3 etc > HXFX In
My loop 1 is fuzz as well... adjusting the input impedance per the preset on HX also helps too. I had it at 1M....but then lowered it a little to help.

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
So, I tried a bunch of scenarios:

1. Fuzz > amp
2. Switcher (Fuzz in Loop 1) with buffer on
3. Switcher (Fuzz in Loop 1) with buffer off
4. Switcher (Passive Pickup Pedal > Fuzz) with buffer off

The pedal definitely helped out. Gotta tweak the dial a bit.... but the main finding.

Fuzz > amp sounded best obviously. Natural sound, no weird mids / highs.... and loud

When I did scenarios 2-4, the volume was lower. Couldn't figure out why until I turned off the HX stomp in the Insert Loop. Once I did that, all my volume came back. I also adjusted the fuzz volume to match the fuzz > amp scenario. In scenario 4 with HX stomp off (but the delays and all still working on the split line), it sounded super close to the fuzz > amp. The closest for sure. So it's a keeper. It also allowed me to rearrange order and put Boss OC-5 and Retro Sonic Flanger into it and it sounds amazing now.

Gotta figure out why the HX stomp in insert loop is dropping volume. I have the volume dial maxed out and it still seemed to cut volume a touch.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom