Fuzz hunt: MI Audio, Barber Trifecta or ____?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbp, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey folks-

After much listening, playing and research, I've narrowed down my search to:
    - MI Audio NEO OR GI Fuzz
    - Barber Trifecta
    - your suggestion?

I'll mainly be using this through the clean channel of my Guytron GT-100 F/V, though I do want this pedal to work well into a driven amp too. But it's gotta work well into a clean amp and still sound rich and full. And I'm looking for a fuzz pedal, not an overdrive or boost pedal.

What I'm hoping to find is a pedal that is both warm and clear, but not buzzy/bright. A solid, stout bottom end and good string-to-string definition (i.e. can it do both lead and rhythm parts? can it handle chords or does it turn to mush?) And it'd be an added bonus if the pedal could get a little crazy too. ;)

In some ways, I'm looking for something that is tonally between germanium and silicon and something that isn't just another clone of a popular circuit. Lord knows I'm asking for a lot here from a fuzz, but I'd like to meet as many of these criteria as I can.

Feedback? Ideas?

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Barber Trifecta

3. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

Whats wron with a big muff? :p

4. Dave

Dave Member

Get the Trifecta and the Neo Fuzz, seriously. They're both very flexible with more control than most fuzz pedals and they're very different from one another, the Trifecta being silicon and the Neo being germanium. You'll probably like the Trifecta better with a clean amp and the Neo with an overdriven amp.

5. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi try the 2stage Fuzz from Hartman a germ. and silicon Fuzz into one pedal, both seperate adjustable.
    Peace Strat58

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Double check.

Again, check.

I have three fuzz pedals on my board: D*A*M 1966, MJM London Fuzz w/bias, and Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz. They each support a different area of fuzzdom. If you want that luscious bottom end, both the London and Hoof will please you greatly. However, your descriptions of desire lead straight to the Hoof. It is a hybrid and the tone works like a silicon to germ pot. It's like a refined and controllable Muff that can bring bowels to the plate if need be. It's fairly easy on the wallet too, just under $150. Oh, and if you dig The Black Keys, Dan always has one on his board.

http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/hoof.html

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I'm not a fuzz guy, but I love the addrock geranium and I love the clips of the addrock hism scism...definitely give em both a look.

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

I've been pretty happy with my Fulltone 69 but after checking out the clips of the EarthQuaker Hoof, I'm thinking about springing for one of those monsters to check it out. Sounds like a Big Muff with some extra added
    bottom end and better note definition which has always been a reason I never used a Big Muff. I've seen alot of big muffs but that was back in the 70's before the ladies started with the well coifed look, landing strips etc.:dude But I digress... Anyway, the price of the Hoof is very reasonable and makes it very much a desirable pedal. I think they are selling for around $150 which is more than fair for a great fuzz.

9. T-Bro

T-Bro Member

+1 I just got a Hartman Ge Fuzz and I love it. Nice warm wooly sounds.

10. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Demeter Fuzzulator is pretty sweet.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

FWIW...a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz kicked the following fuzz pedals off my board:

MJM London
    Tonefactor Huckleberry
    Lil' Big Muff
    Aramat Soulpatch

I would also suggest checking out some Rat clips...it can do the natural, string separated, kind of thang and get pretty fuzzy too.

Good luck!

13. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

EarthQuaker Devices Hoof

Analogman Peppermint Fuzz

14. iggs

iggs Member

15. Merelington

Merelington Member

Hartman SFZ Dual Stage Fuzz !