1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fuzz in Strange by Built to Spill?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MonsterBass101, May 17, 2011.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101 Member

2. enocaster

enocaster Member

I'm pretty sure that's Sam Coomes playing his distorted "roxicord" (mystery keyboard/fuzz setup he keeps hidden in a wood box). Sam isn't in the band, but has played keys on some of their stuff. Awesome song.

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Man, that is such a great tune. I haven't kept up with a lot of their newer stuff, but was way into them back then & saw them a few times. Love that tune & just the tones overall on Ancient Melodies. Martsch is a helluva writer.

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Yup. I think I read Sam's RC is dying (dead?), but Sam's also awesome on a Strat.

Some glitchy pedals might get you there; I think Catalinbread has one and maybe Dr. Scientist? Others make 'em, too. -E

PS If you like this sound and great tunes, Sam's band Quasi (him and his ex, Sleatter-Kinney's Janet Weiss on drums and vocals) is generally awesome. "Featuring: Birds" is particularly wonderful.

5. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

I always heard a Muff. Have I been wrong? I saw them live, couldn't get a great look at the board.

Great band, btw. Got to meet Doug as well, super nice guy.

6. 6AM

6AM Member

A ZVex Fuzz Factory can do that sound.

7. King Rat

King Rat Member

I got that exact sound with the fuzzy crap channel in a MXR double shot distortion. i wasnt looking for it but it was spot on.

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I interviewed Doug for TapeOp and we had a lovely chat. Went to see him when they came to town and went backstage before the show to say "hi." Unfortunately, I was REALLY high when I got there (this was a long time ago) and I didn't know the entire band had grown beards. I was TOTALLY freaked out by the beards and was a complete moron as a result. They were all super cool nonetheless, and I left before I could do too much damage. I was too embarrassed to go back after the set. :( -E

9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Last time I saw them do this tune, Doug used a Fuzz Face into a blackface Bassman.... They were touring for Ancient Melodies at the time...

10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

It totally makes sense that they'd use some fuzz live, but there's no way that's not Sam on the recording (famous last words). -E

11. Normal Slowing

Normal Slowing Member

Zzzzzzzombie ThreadddddddD...

The new Green Russian Big Muff, along with my always on stuff like a little compression, delay, vibe, verb, nailed it. So yes The Muff.

realmacaroni likes this.