Fuzz into Iridium help

delichef

Anyone having success with fuzzes into the Iridium? If so, which ones are you using? I've got a Sunface (RCA/NKT hybrid) and an EHX Big Muff (current ram's head). In front of the Kemper they sound massive, rolling back the volume on the Sunface sounds great, etc. Into the Iridium the sweet spot seems so much smaller. I'm having trouble getting the same sounds. I've tried gain staging differently (which helps some), and removing other pedals...but it doesn't sound as good, as easily, as I get just plugging into the Kemper.

Any tips? Could definitely be user error, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

mapleneck72

Which model are you using on the Iridium?
I'm using the Round model but swapped out the B and C IR slots with 412 V2-Green 69 421 and V7X IRs that you can select in the Impulse Manager.
Gain at 1-3 o'clock, Mids at 11-12 o'clock.
For fuzzes, I've tried Skreddy Mayo, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Lovetone Big Cheese, and Skreddy Lunar Module and was surprised it could sound this good (through headphones).

stevenlaumer

How are you monitoring? I agree with above that some different IR's will always help regardless.

Settings you're using would also be helpful.

delichef

I've tried the York Audio IR's and they make a nice improvement! I'm using similar settings as mapleneck, gain is usually noon to 2, mids and treble around 1. Nothing too extreme. I've been going into a UAD interface...that's a good idea on the headphones, I'll try that and see if I get a different result!

bkb1984

Getting great results using round and some third party IRs with a Broadcast AP, Canyon Climber and King Tone Fuzz.

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
I use the Kingmaker Fuzz with the iridium and sounded awesome but I'm not trying to match any particular tone.

batsbrew

my Barber Exacta sounds excellent thru the iridium...

it seems that the round model, with the mids brought up, seems to work the best,
tho solo tones with the punch works good if you can find the right IR that attenuates the top end a bit.

stevenlaumer

I've tried the York Audio IR's and they make a nice improvement! I'm using similar settings as mapleneck, gain is usually noon to 2, mids and treble around 1. Nothing too extreme. I've been going into a UAD interface...that's a good idea on the headphones, I'll try that and see if I get a different result!
If you're on the chime model then thats basically flat out max gain. After 2 oclock you're adding a treble boost circuit into the mix. That would make sense with why youre fuzzes arent sounding right.

batsbrew

I would never be able to tell that this is not a real amp. Iridium is legit! I just wish it had a high gain amp like a 5150.
just add a 5150 pedal!
or a friedman be-od, or any of those types.
using the marshall superlead as a 'pedal platform' makes all those pedals so much more useful, and gives them more range.

delichef

How are you monitoring? I agree with above that some different IR's will always help regardless.
I think this was it! So I tried selecting different IR's (with the Fuzz engaged this time) and that helped a lot. The one I was using made it sound muffled (for lack of a better word) with the fuzz on but was my favorite with the clean tone, and switching to some different ones made it sound more open. Made some minor EQ tweaks (actually dropped the mids a little) and that got it to sit right. Thanks!!

Trending Topics