Fuzz into OD - controlling noise/placement of gates etc

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RussT, Jan 14, 2015.

1. RussT

RussT Member

G’day gear fiends

My post relates to those who use fuzz > OD and taming all the associated noise.

I’m using a Marshal JCM 2000, Voodoolab superfuzz (thinking of getting red mini fuzz face tho), and a fulltone OCD.

I also have a ISP decimator which I’m struggling to find best placement of it in the chain. Like it’s a good pedal and all but if I have it at the threshold which doesn’t affect tone and sustain, it still doesn’t gate all noise and feedback when I’m cranked.

So surely the gain settings between the fuzz, OD and clean channel on my JCM have to be adjusted.

I add as much volume as I can to clean channel with minimal gain.

**Should I be using the OCD to supply most of the gain, and then have the fuzz going into it with only a little amount of fuzz to give some spatter?

**Or should I have the OCD light on the gain and have the fuzz pretty fuzzy seeings though primarily I’m going for a fuzz tone most of the time (play in a heavy psych / stoner band currently)

I’ve experimented with both ways and probs leaning towards minimal gain on OCD and fuzziness on the fuzz. But it can still feedback like a mofo.

Wondering if it’s something to do with all volume knob settings on other pedals too…

Anyhow going to borrow a Boss NS2 tonight for rehearsal

Was thinking would it be a good idea to chuck the fuzz in it’s loop (I reckon the fuzz is the main purveyor of noise) and then have the ISP decimator after the OCD just for final touch ups on noise levels? Has anyone used both a NS2 and a decimator in the same board.

My total board would be

Boss Tuner
    Crybaby 535q wah
    MXR Phase 100
    (insert NS2 here) looped to
    Voodoolab superfuzz (return loop to NS2)
    Out to POG2
    CAE wah
    Fulltone OCD
    Boss EQ
    ISP Decimator
    Malekko tremolo
    Boss DD7 delay
    Space echo delay

For those wondering reasoning behind my ordering
    -Phase 100 is more subtle and less cheesy sounding in front of gain pedals.
    -two wahs one for in front of fuzz, one for behind fuzz, and the OCD boosts the signal again after the 2nd wah
    -ISP decimator after all dirt and gainy pedals (use the EQ as a solo boost therefore isp tames it a little) – but could ISP just be placed differently to tame noise. Haven’t tried FX loop yet…
    -and most cables are new and have a voodoolab PP2+ and a trex fuel tank jr powering it all no daisy chaining. In fact still get noisy setup cutting all those pedals out and just using the fuzz and OD etc so it’s gotta be a taming fuzz and OD issue

Pretty complex post, hopefully there’s some experienced users of fuzz into OD here to offer some advice. Opinions on the extra noise suppressor idea would be great too or if I should have one on my board and the other sitting on my amp in the FX loop always on (should that be ISP or NS2 then?)

Cheers!!!
    Russ

2. RussT

RussT Member

still waiting........ :munch

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

this is the wrong forum for the subject matter, russ;
    this sub-forum is for videos & sound-clip demos of effects etc.

you would be better off to post this thread in the pedals & effects sub-forum, here.

4. RussT

RussT Member

WTF how did y post end up here i totally put it in the pedals forum???

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Moved thread to the correct area.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

thanks, scott!

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

For me, the only thing that really works is a noise suppressor with some sort of side chain e.g. The Decimator G-string or the NS-2. The whole side chain thing takes a couple more cords, but it's the only thing that allows for a low threshold with extreme dirt.

8. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

I've never used them, but wouldn't it make more sense to have your gate before the dirt? That is, all that noise you're hearing is the background noise in your guitar signal, just boosted up and compressed all to hell - which means that if your gate is after all your gain, the noise it sees is at approximately the same level as the desired signal, and no threshold setting will allow it to clamp down all the noise but still leave your playing dynamics in tact.
    Placed before the gain, it will be much better able to distinguish between playing and noise, and when you aren't playing, it'll clamp down and feed your gain pedals absolutely nothing to amplify.
    Now, if you're using super high gain, your dirt boxes and amp may be generating noise of their own, but you may find it tolerable if you remove the amplified noise at the beginning of the chain.
    If there's still too much, then, as was mentioned before, that's what noise suppresors with a side chain (or a loop) are for. You feed your clean signal to the trigger, put all your noise generators before the loop (which may be the sum total of your pedals and amp, you could probably do the send/receive of your amp through the loop) , and the gate clamps down on the whole signal when you aren't playing.

9. RussT

RussT Member

Putting the ISP gate in front of gain just kinda sucks the tone once i start bumping it up. the problem comes from as soon as i hit the gain or fuzz on then there is noise. when my amp is clean and cranked its reasonably silent or might have a little white noise but not exploding with feedback.

hence why gate after gains trim the feedback, least the way i see it..

i think NS 2 witht the side chain is the winning option. wonder what the isp g string is like though, surely thats just the same as the NS 2 with send / return only better quality (assuming cos its more expensive)

10. RussT

RussT Member

gonna give this one the ol bumparoo. any more comments on original question?

11. The Dust

The Dust Member

Try the OCD into the fuzz to keep the fuzz's character. Then, set the OCD with the least volume and drive possible. Find the "sweet spot" where it starts to add noise. This will reduce much of the noise but you probably won't have enough volume to run the OCD by itself.

12. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

My original statement still stands. The ISP Decimator G-String will work where most other gates fail, because of its side-chain feature. The Boss NS-2 also has a side-chain ability.

I can stack fuzzes and not be a wall of noise when I'm not playing, then turn the fuzzes off and play clean and quiet without the gate truncating notes.

13. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

With one NS2 you can gate all your drives, tame at least some of the noise from the fuzz and gate your amp drive too (if you have a series FX loop). As follows:

Fuzz into NS2 in, NS2 loop send to drives, drive out to amp input, amp FX loop out to NS2 loop return, NS2 out to mod and delay etc, last pedal out to amp FX return.

Thus, your fuzz will still react dynamically to volume pot manipulation, at least some of the noise from the fuzz is tamed, drives are gated, amp is gated.

I've used this system ever since the NS2 came out. It works, trust me. I regularly work with other pros who have never even heard of this system and they are always grateful for the advice.

:)

14. RussT

RussT Member

Hey man cool kind of set up im willing to try it even though im gonna have to get more cables etc

so in that method which pedals actually fall into the amps fx loop?

just the drives etc, or the mods afterwards

or is everything get pulled into the amps loop

right now i just use the fuzz and OD in the NS2 loop but then it continues afterwards out to the rest of my mod/delays etc then back to amp input so im not using amps fx loop at all