Fuzz newbie - yea, I know. But I need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Scott Peterson, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Guys,

Been just killin' with my Germino Club 40. Digging it to an extreme.

But for one project I need a fuzz pedal for some solos that call for it; alas, I have never owned or played with a fuzz before.

What I need is a fuzz that works for solos, single line stuff.

So I do the search on here, and whoa - overload. Best this and that. Nothing that jumps out and says, hey, this is the fuzz.

I don't want to spend tons of cash, but want a good all around fuzz.

Bring it real man. School me. :D

2. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

McFuzz or something from Skreddy's line for singing sustain. I'm probably going to pick up a couple more of Skreddy's peds. I have a Zero and owned an original Mayo. Good stuff!! Can't go wrong with McBroom or Skreddy in my opinion and I've owned a ton of fuzz pedals.

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

FWIW I've been wanting to try the ProAnalog MK II...carlygtr56 would be the one to talk to though...

4. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Can't go wrong with ProAnalog that's for sure. The Scary and MKII are super sweet!! If you want an accurate Tonebender or Fuzzface that is the way to go. My direction these days however has been a more modern take on the fuzz. If 9v input and/or LED are a requirement you won't get those with the ProAnalog fuzz pedals although some of his stuff coming out now has those features and is supposed to have some fuzz capabilities. He's using NOS trannies in his recents designs which is a good start. Unfortunately I need something that will work at bedroom volume and the ProAnalog pedals don't really handle that. Need a cranked amp for sure.

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

Pretty simple:

For Hendrix, early Cream tone: germanium transistor, fuzz face type circuit. THE best is the Analogman Sun Face.

For later Hendrix (band of gypsys): silicon fuzz. You can check something like the Fulltone 70'.

For Robert Fripp tones: EH Big Muff, MJM foxey

For "crazy" stuff: Lovepedal kARL or Zvex Fuzz Factory.

This very last can emulate most of the above mentionned pedals; it's also something wild, difficult to tame.

Hope this helped!

6. Scott Peterson

Cool guys. I am not trying to recreate anything with this pedal, I need it for an original pop act I am going to be playing with. So a more modern sound is a fine thing, just looking for that sustainy thing and not the gnarly tear your head off thing. If that makes any sense.

7. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

There's another one, AM Sun Face. Mighty fine, I really miss that one

So many options it just kills me. Wish I could have one of everything.

8. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

There are a bunch of clips on Skreddy's site if you want to see where a Big Muffish pedal will get you.

Skreddy

Bob McBroom touts the McFuzz as a lead player only pedal although it produces some mighty fine crunch and OD tones. There are a couple of Clips on the Pedalworx site. I think Gainster has a bunch of clips too. Then there is the Sybil. This could go on and on......

9. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Listen to the clips of the Pink Purple Fuzz and Candy Apple Fuzz at Custom Sounds and see if that's your thing. It's one of BJ's designs. www.custom-sounds.com

You might try and see if you can find a Lovepedal Black Beauty Balance. I think that'd be right up your alley.

You might even be able to get those types of sounds from that Keeley Rat you have on the way.

10. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

carlygtr56 needs to chime in here. If I recall he even uses a Germino and I can't seem to find his soundclips but he should have some of the Sybil, Skreddy Ernie, and a whole bunch more for you to check out.

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Analogman Sunface is IT, man. I was a damn fool to sell it a couple of months ago and I bet the guy who bought it is still grinning ear to ear.

I didn't feel that the McFuzz was all that great, but so many here love it, so take their word.

12. cheesey

cheesey Member

addrock fuzz , mjm london fuzz, analogman sunface,
    how about a fuzz/octavia thing , thatd be cool..electric smile or a roctavios:)

13. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Even a Black Cat OD1 (Freddie Fuzz) might do you ok for that stuff.

I know you're not looking to spend a ton, but since analogman has been mentioned look into the Sun Lion as well. It's a Treble Booster in the same box as the Sun Face and it's absolutely fantastic.

There are a lot of fulltone 69 and 70's around at fairly good prices too.

14. dave s

dave s Member

Scott:

I'll throw another vote on the AM Sunface models. Mine is the budget 2-knobber. It does some pretty incredible things.

It's a set it and forget fuzz and use the guitar volume to control the amount of fuzz. Wide open it sustains notes forever. With the volume rolled back to nearly off, it cleans up really well and almost sounds like a wah closed down half way.

In between gets me stuff like Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young. Very versatile pedal and a definite 'keeper' on the board.

dave

15. cameron

cameron Member

If what you want is a fuzz to use in front of an already distorting amp, that will fatten your sound and increase sustain, I'd suggest something along the lines of a Tone Bender replica.

A good and widely available Tone Bender clone is the Fulltone Soul Bender. There are other options, but the Soul Bender will get you there.

I've heard good things about the J. Everman Fuzz Drive as a fattener in front of a distorted amp. Haven't tried one myself. I have a J. Everman Ultra Drive, and it's a good Big Muff style fuzz ("Big Muff on steroids" seems to be a widely used description for that device). But the Ultra Drive, like Big Muff style pedals in general, is best used in front of a clean amp, and gets muddy if the amp is distorting.

16. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Scott I know it's not "cool" or whatever to want to cop tones, but there has to be SOME reason you decided you need a fuzz for a specific purpose- just saying you need a fuzz is like saying you need an amp. There are players that build their entire rig around fuzz while others choose fuzz like flavors of ice cream, and tonally fuzz can make you sound like it's 1966 or like you just came up with a new sound yesterday. So fess up, you must have heard something that made you think "that would be a cool sound to have", and it would be easier for others to make a good recommendation if they knew what it was. Also, fuzz can be the most fickle of all guitar gear so tell us about the rig you'll be using-clean vs. dirty amp, pickups, and other pedals.

17. GasMask

GasMask Member

Can't go wrong with the AM sunface!:AOK

18. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Phil, I am still grinning ear to ear. How did you know?
    You can guess that I'm going to say AM Sunface then, huh?

19. Scott Peterson

No, you are right man.

The issue is that I am copping tones based on studio recordings of this artists CD, which is not yet released and I don't have any other reference.

I will be playing this with my Germino Club 40, a Plexi-Marshall type amp, Tone Tools 212 cab with Guytron Bigtone speakers (like old Celestion Blackback GB), and using my Loooper to switch it in/out when needed.

I know from learning the material that this guy used a fuzz, nothing else gets *that* sound; as all you guys here know very well. I will be doing this gig for a while (I hope), and want to get the tools to nail her stuff is all.

I am short on $$$ right now so can't make a jump at anything on impulse anyway, so thought I'd throw this thread out there and then spend the next few days chasing down the suggestions and figuring out what to go after.

I do want to thank everyone that has and will still post on this - more than a great source of information everyone is. Excellent suggestions thus far.

FWIW, I am leaning towards the Analogman stuff simply because I have always dug his stuff. The sound clip on his site (this one: http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/ge-nkt.mp3 ) is almost exactly what I am looking to cop. So it seems to me that perhaps, at least for now, that is what I should get! :D

20. tuna

tuna Member