• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fuzz on Truth/Beck-Ola

hdiddy

Silver Supporting Member
I just head drinking again, from the Jeff Beck Group and Superstition from BBA
What great tunes
What Fuzz do you think Jeff was using? I pretty sure it is not the Colorsound Overdriver? Is it a Tone Bender?
Thanks
howard

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is the tone bender. It has that thickness that is really evident on alot of the tracks on that album.

"Let me love you baby" has got to be one of the best blues rave ups ever. What the hell ever happened to Rod Stewart?

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
The MKIII didn't debut until late '69. The Truth album was recorded and released in '68. Sounds like a MKII driving an amp just on the verge of breakup to me. I have some live material from that era and it also sounds like a MKII, but possibly running into a louder, cleaner amp. I've read that Beckola was Les Paul, Strat and 100 watt Marshall. I hear less fuzz tones on that album and more overdriven amp. Some of the trippy overdubs do sound like fuzz though.

gravy

mkII i believe also, tho with volume swells and strange pick/fret attacks so much of the cool **** is in those hands!

hdiddy

Silver Supporting Member
Next big questions opinions on who make the best clone? Does anyone make one that you can switch from MKII to MKIII

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
D*A*M makes the best clone. Expensive though and you'll have to keep a very sharp eye on Ebay for D*A*M's BIN auctions for a new one.

zep41

i think that its an MKII tonebender, but with a wah pedal set into the mid position.

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
I'm hearing straight MKII tones on the majority of Truth with the exception of the few songs where there's obvious use of wah. Superstious, Morning Dew and You Shook Me.

JRC4558Dude

Haven't tried a D*A*M, but before you shell out for one of those, you might want to try a Fulltone Soulbender. Mine gives me very good early Page/Beck tones.

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't tried a D*A*M, but before you shell out for one of those, you might want to try a Fulltone Soulbender. Mine gives me very good early Page/Beck tones.
That was my first boutique fuzz pedal! Actually, my 1st fuzz pedal period. The D*A*M or a really good MKII clone will get you closer though. The Fulltone lacks a bit of gain and fuzz and overall fatness. Despite Fuller's insistence, the Soulbender is a MKIII clone.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Great albums indeed!

I have a few good pictures (i'll see if I can dig them up) from live gigs on the truth tour...Jeff was playing a Les Paul, a pair of 100 watt Marshall heads, each with 2 cabs (with the "100" script on the grill cloth) and on thte floor was a MK II Tonebender and a Vox Wah...

Trending Topics