Fuzz on Truth/Beck-Ola

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hdiddy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I just head drinking again, from the Jeff Beck Group and Superstition from BBA
    What great tunes
    What Fuzz do you think Jeff was using? I pretty sure it is not the Colorsound Overdriver? Is it a Tone Bender?
    Thanks
    howard

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

My guess is the tone bender. It has that thickness that is really evident on alot of the tracks on that album.

"Let me love you baby" has got to be one of the best blues rave ups ever. What the hell ever happened to Rod Stewart?

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've read that it's a Tonebender Mk III.

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The MKIII didn't debut until late '69. The Truth album was recorded and released in '68. Sounds like a MKII driving an amp just on the verge of breakup to me. I have some live material from that era and it also sounds like a MKII, but possibly running into a louder, cleaner amp. I've read that Beckola was Les Paul, Strat and 100 watt Marshall. I hear less fuzz tones on that album and more overdriven amp. Some of the trippy overdubs do sound like fuzz though.

5. gravy

gravy Member

mkII i believe also, tho with volume swells and strange pick/fret attacks so much of the cool **** is in those hands!

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Next big questions opinions on who make the best clone? Does anyone make one that you can switch from MKII to MKIII

7. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

D*A*M makes the best clone. Expensive though and you'll have to keep a very sharp eye on Ebay for D*A*M's BIN auctions for a new one.

8. zep41

zep41 Member

i think that its an MKII tonebender, but with a wah pedal set into the mid position.

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I'm hearing straight MKII tones on the majority of Truth with the exception of the few songs where there's obvious use of wah. Superstious, Morning Dew and You Shook Me.

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'm using the Throbak Stone Bender for MK II sounds.

11. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Proanalog makes a great MKII and MKIII.

12. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Haven't tried a D*A*M, but before you shell out for one of those, you might want to try a Fulltone Soulbender. Mine gives me very good early Page/Beck tones.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

R E T R O M A N does, also, with the LOLA(Mk.II) and TONEZILLA(Mk.III)

14. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

That was my first boutique fuzz pedal! Actually, my 1st fuzz pedal period. The D*A*M or a really good MKII clone will get you closer though. The Fulltone lacks a bit of gain and fuzz and overall fatness. Despite Fuller's insistence, the Soulbender is a MKIII clone.

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

What great albums...!!!

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Great albums indeed!

I have a few good pictures (i'll see if I can dig them up) from live gigs on the truth tour...Jeff was playing a Les Paul, a pair of 100 watt Marshall heads, each with 2 cabs (with the "100" script on the grill cloth) and on thte floor was a MK II Tonebender and a Vox Wah...