Fuzz Pedal help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eclipseall, Aug 27, 2008.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Im interested in adding a fuzz pedal to my board. Dont much about fuzz pedals. Ive heard that they cant be placed just anywhere in the chain. I want a fuzz that can be placed after a wah and be used with a wah. I would really like for it to be the size of an MXR phase 90. I use EMG pups on my guitars and want to get really nice sustain for violin type lead work. True bypass is a must.

Ive been looking at the GI Fizz and NEO Fuzz from MI Audio.

Any suggestions?

2. shngn7

shngn7 Member

The Analogman Sunface is just about the same size as the Phase 90 (use some sort of MXR casing for it) and is an amazing fuzz. You can get it with either Ge or Si transistors too.

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

you need a teese wah with fuzz friendly circuitry. zvex fuzz factory is also wee, just expensive

4. m@2

m@2 Member

+1 on the sunface

5. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Fuzz pedals are VERY sensitive to their placement in the chain, especially if it's germanium, like the Sun Face. MI Neo Fuzz is specifically buffered so you can place it anywhere in the chain or use it with active pickups like EMGs. Ordinarily, fuzz pedals don't respond well to low impedance signal (ie., active pickups, Boss pedals, etc.). As for wah, I can't imagine usuing a wah without fuzz friendly technology (this is a different kind of buffering) or its equivalent. I'm getting a Foxrox wah buffer and putting it in a dedicated effects box so I can place it anywhere in the chain and leave it on all the time.

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

If you are using EMG pickups, it doesn't matter where you put the fuzz in the chain. The EMGs send a buffered signal. The upside of the EMG pickups is that whether the Wah is fuzz friendly is irrelevant.

I would counsel against the Analogman fuzzes, as they are sensitive to this placement; they don't respond the way most people want a fuzz to respond if they're placed after EMGs or a buffered pedal. The same goes for the Z.Vex.

I like the MI Audio fuzzes, but I do not have personal knowledge about whether a buffered signal will hinder their performance.

Any Big Muff or close clone of a Big Muff will work well with your setup. Big-Muff-Style fuzzes can be used effectively anywhere in the chain. You can spend anywhere from 60 bucks on a Little Big Muff from Electro-Harmonix, to 500 bucks or more on a boutique clone. I recommend the Little Big Muff. It's a solid fuzz and really exceptional for the price.

7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

8. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

nice to hear that about the Littel BIg Muff Pi, I just bought one, expecting it any day. I agonised over what to buy, and then eventually said, stuff, get something tried and easy. There is a good reason why some things are common.

9. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

The subdacay blackstar distortion gets fuzzy at higher gain settings. Not a Fuzz, but fuzzy sounding. Might be what Im looking for.

Anyone have experience with this box?

10. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

I find the Barber Trifecta to be a very friendly fuzz....

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Your instinct was spot ON!!!:agree

I have both and highly recommend either one for what you want. They are a fantastic (and not too expensive) first fuzz, and may even be last because they are the most user friendly tweakable fuzz I know (Zvex's Fuzz Factory is THE most tweakable, but allows the user to make ungodly noises too, which is a good deal of its charm) and you can really tailor your sound.

I couldn't tell you the differences in their sounds offhand, I just grab one or the other and always am able to tailor what I want out of them.
    The knob for adjusting to the pickups is FANTASTIC, and allows you to use single or humbuckers and get it setup for the two hugely different outputs. Also able to dial in mids, tone control, etc. and has some of the widest useable range for the fuzz of any I know.

I also own a Analogman Sunface, Fulltone '69, BYOC fuzz, MXR Classic 108 fuzz, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Captain Coconuts, HBE fuzz, old Sekova (LOVE that one...point to point, my first fuzz bought in the early '70s), etc.

The MI fuzzes are VERY tweakable, and give many different fuzz sounds that have quite a range.