Fuzz Pedal Layout Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lgehrig4, May 15, 2020.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

This is actually a question about effects pedal layouts in general. Can you verify why the red boxes mean. Based on the photo in this link it seems as though you would cut the copper traces at those points. I'm almost 100% sure but I don't want to assume.

2. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Member

Yes, those are places where you cut the copper trace. I've not personally built on stripboard, but I believe I've read that you need to be a bit careful to not accidentally pull the rest of the strip off.

chankgeez likes this.
  3. AJC

AJC Member

hi. Yes those are cuts. You may want to check this out, as it explains a lot, and there are links to debugging and lots of other layouts, if you like.

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/04/vero-build-guide.html

Mattyc, chankgeez and mulekicker like this.
  4. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I exclusively build on vero. You can drill through the track just enough to break the copper. Make extra sure you don't have any little burrs that can make any unwanted connection. Run a knife through the gaps after you solder in all of the components to be sure you don't have any bridges. You can mark all of the cuts with a sharpie on top and then poke a piece of wire through to see where you need to mark the copper on the backside that needs cut. For sure read that tagboard link and don't get discouraged. Once you're successful with a build it may become an obsession. Be warned.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    East Texas, Mattyc and chankgeez like this.
  5. lgehrig4

Thanks. I was thinking a dremel with a small bit

6. lgehrig4

7. lgehrig4

Thanks! I built 3 amps but I don't have a background in this stuff so I'm constantly seeing new things that I have to verify.

Where do you get these boards? I used to go to Radio Shack for stuff like this.

mulekicker likes this.
  8. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I usually order boards from tayda electronics or small bear. You can get em on Amazon also. Just make sure you get stripboard, not pad per hole. Tayda is cheapest. Not the best quality but I've never had probems with it.

East Texas likes this.