Fuzz pedal opinions...Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pureoldsound, Jul 25, 2006.

1. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I did a search about fuzz pedals (on this forum and reviews HC) and there are so many pedals that it is hard to make a decision....I want a fuzz pedal to be creamy, with sustain and to be controllable....My top choice has been the Analog Man NKT-275 Sun Dial...I am not a Fan of the Hendrix buzz sound...I just want to add a bit of fuzz to my sound rather than just old plain OD sound..

I've read all the reviews and heard clips, I just want to review my options before committing to any pedal.

On my list as well are:

Skreddypedals Mayo (the Zero no longer made)
    Addrock Geranium
    FullTone '69
    Old Maestro Fuzz (the problem with this pedal is that it is treblely, and it has a noise gate on the circuit that cuts your notes sooner, No Sustain at all)

I will be using any of these pedals with this set-up:

LP type w/ HB> OD pedal > EH MM > Fender Pro-Reverb.

Based on clips:

I liked Analog’s Man Sun Dial, liked the Mayo. However on the Mayo I am not sure if the sustain acts as a real fuzz control or as a Compression knob. I read the manual and it says it controls both sustain and fuzz. Anyone that had any experience with it can chime in will be helpful.

The Maestro not that terrible but not that great either.

The ‘69 I did not liked too much what I heard but I like the way you can shape and control the sound.

Addrock haven’t heard any clips just read reviews.

I appreciate the help in advnce….

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Sorry to add one more, but check out the retroman SYBIL fuzz. IF gives you tone controls AND the ability to blend silicon fuzz with Ge fuzz or use one or the other. www.retroman-music.com

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I just received an Analog man NKT and I was quite impressed. It is the first "fuzz" that did not sound like an OD on steriods. A lot of different tones available...very rich sounding and incredibly responsive. 2 cents...

4. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

+1 for AM Sunface or Sunlion...

With your rig it will be a nice addition. The LP will be able to drive it quite nicely with the 'buckers. You'll want this one first in the chain as it is very responsive to volume knob changes...

This one makes me want to play those super fuzzy Neil Young songs...:dude

5. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

One question for both the SUnFace and the retroman do you need an OD pedal to with the Fuzz or have the amp OD....or can you use either pedal with a clean amp w/ot any OD pedal or OD amp?

6. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I found the Sun Face to be the first "fuzz" that did a pretty decent OD when rolled back on the guitar. May not be as versatile as a good OD pedal but you sure can get a nice warm/round tone without any buzziness. I was VERY surprised and my expectations were not high.

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I think there are three main family trees among fuzzes - Fuzz Face, Big Muff and Tone Bender. I am most familiar with the first two groups so I'll speak to those.

Fuzz Faces are the quirkiest and can be painful to use. You'll have to worry about buffers elsewhere in the path and deal with squealing wahs and the like. They seem to work better with some amps than others. A big advantage for many players is that they clean up with the volume control and even have some cool (but counter-intuitive) interaction with the tone control on the guitar. The tone of Fuzz Faces can be gritty or spitty depending on how they're used. Generally they don't give you as much sustain as Big Muffs but they are very dynamic. They are best used at higher volumes.

Big Muffs are much friendlier to use and have lots of sustain (the Sustain control is essentially a Fuzz control - same thing). I find these to work out much better at lower volumes. They're generally very smooth sounding, but they don't clean up like the Fuzz Faces. Another problem is they don't seem to dial back to lower gain levels as well.

I think most players would find it useful to have a few of each. The Sun Face is of the Fuzz Face family, while the Skreddys are of the Big Muff family. I'm sure you could come to love either of them.

I have a Zero and I suspect it's actually too agressive for most players. I do love it and find it extraordinairily useful, but will eventually get a Mayo in order to have complementary tone to the Zero. I would also recommend checking out the Baja Tech Da Moaf.

8. stratovarius

This can be frustrating. YMMV applies here more than anything else I can think of. Fuzz Faces can sound quite bad with some OD's. You just have to experiment. I do find that I get the best results going into an amp that's on the edge. I have never owned a Fender, so someone else will need to chime in.

9. drolling

drolling Member

I get my distortion from pedals, as i got hooked on cleanish Fender & VOX tones a long time ago. My amps are all single channel, non-master.. no loop either so I generally have a few pedals in front to give me everything from crunch rhythm to fat, singing lead tones.

I also have a few fuzzes, but Sybil's the most flexible of the bunch, and the only on my main board at present - I often set the germanium side low for a shimmering treble boost, and crank the silicon side for a thick & sick traditional fuzztone. I could probably get by w/just this one pedal for distortion, but I don't like fiddling w/knobs, so I usually have a TIM/Timmy in there for a gritty boost & my Eternity if there's room.

Haven't had a chance to try the Sunface. I stopped looking for fuzzes when I found Sybil. Great pedal!

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Question for y'all:

sure this has been covered elsewhere, but:NUTS

Is it usually neccessary on to havea buffer on the wah pedal if using a fuzz after the wah? To prevent squeal, tone degradation.

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

add a Pro Analog Scaryface to the list. i like it better than the AM Sunface.:D

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Sybil spoken here also! Very flexible. It is the only fuzz I still have because it gives me everything I want out of a fuzz.:AOK

13. retro

retro Member

Sybil has such creamy wonderful lead tones, it's haunting.

Don't need an OD with it...

It worked well with SC and Humbuckers through Marhsalls and Fenders for me.

Works well with a clean amp too...even at low volumes.

Easy to sell, if for some reason you wanted to.

One of the best out there I think.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

There has been the same sybil relisted on Ebay a few times from a fellow TGper from hong kong. Great deal.

15. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Would a fuzz like Sybil need to have a buffered wah to work at its best??:confused:

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Id disagree slightly here.

The Fuzz Face id say is of the Tonebender variety of pedal. Others here know more about it, but the circuit itself resembles that of the Vox Tonebender. Some have been so bold to say the Fuzz Face was a step child of the first Vox's. In fact, the Fuzz Face is closer to the Vox in tone than the Sola sound Tonebender is to the Vox. So the Sola Sound, is a tonebender, but it doesn't sound much liek the Vox, so you don't want to confuse them. Keeping this in mind, we're left with 2 of the original three families.

Second Point: Where does a pedal like the Maestro, the Bee Baa, Foxx Tone Machine, Marshall Fuzz, Univox Super Fuzz, etc fit into this tree. None of these sound like any of the 3 aforementioned fuzzes. Also, there are so many modern fuzzes that sound nothing like these pedals.

The Big Muff and Fuzz Face to me are often treated like the Tubescreamer. Because many people have liked them, they tend to have a limiting effect on consumers, turning them into must haves, instead of simply possibuilities. Let's be honest, the muff and fuzz face have one tone... Muff and Fuzz Face.

So, My contention here is that there is alot more to fuzz than 3 families of fuzzes. there are so many in fact, that its madly overwhelming as the orginal poster pointed out. It's easy to say, oh well, there's the fuzz face, the tonebender and the big muff, and just buy one of those, cause they show up on most peoples boards. Sadly, that's often the case, and and that really leaves out alot of quality, and less used tonal options.

To the original poster. Read about Fuzz. It's a tough topic to get a hold of. Don't just buy the first fuzz pedal you read that has "sustain, is creamy with control" because it won't always work with your rig. Find out whats out there.. who uses fuzz and what fuzz players do you lilke?

17. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

how about the Marshall Supa Fuzz????

18. stratovarius

I have no problem with that - my experience is limited so I was trying to paint with a broad brush. I did want to get across the idea that one could expect some common behaviors from a majority of the commonly available pedals since they have common ancestry. Speaking of evolutionary trees, it would be a cool project to put together a chart for TGP. Everyone could make submissions to some sort of "Official Pedal Taxonomy" sticky thread.

19. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hey, no worries. Thats a pretty cool Idea... I doubt it'd get stickied, but its definatly a fine Idea and would be an excellent tool for Fuzz research. Im a librarian... and as research nerds, we're all about cool search tools!

20. drolling

drolling Member

I always place the wah first in the chain and it doesn't do that squealy thing w/my stock Budda Bud-Wah (but, she'll squeal all by herself when both ge & si fuzz controls are dimed).

I prefer to use a T-B'd VOX 847 w/Foxrox booster kit in front of all my fuzz pedals - Dave's booster'll help a wah to cut thru' the gnarliest fuzz/octavia type pedals..