Fuzz Pedal Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stringmaster, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

I know nothing about them other than I had a Big Muff in the 70's. I'm looking for something to cop the "Willie Johnson" Blues tone. Would be playing through a relatively clean amp as I don't want that sound on every song. Would prefer something that keeps the inherent tone of the amp, and that can go from basically unaffected to fuzzed out with the turn of a knob and all points in between--so something "natural" sounding. Not sure if anything fits into this category (I haven't found an overdrive or a 5e3 type pedal that gets it--so I'm wondering about at fuzz pedal.) Smaller footprint would be nice too. Thanks for any recommendations--here's a few samples of the range of sounds I'm talking about:

2. Coda11

Coda11 Member

Sadly, that is the opposite of what a fuzz is doing on your overall sound...
    I think in most of the recording here (awesome tastes in music btw), most of the saturation comes from the amp (+ a bit of microphone and speaker saturation for the oldest records). The microphone is a big part of the sound so sadly, it may not be reproducible directly... Biggest problem with old recordings.

For the 2 first records, fuzz was not even born!
    (first fuzz is 1962 with the FZ1)

I think if you want this kind of sound, a cranked amp is the best solution

3. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Thanks--yes I understand that those recordings were done with cranked amps--just hoping that with all the pedals out there there might be something that can approximate that sound.

4. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I agree with above that you just need a saturated tube sound, but Hendrix had some of the best/coolest cleans with a fuzzface and his guitars volume knob turned wayyyyy down.

Try cranking your amp and see if that works, if not, look into a germanium FF and throw a volume kit into your guitar so you don't lose your high end when dialing the volume back that far.

5. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Couldn't listen to recordings (at work) but from what you are saying it sounds like a fuzz face is what you are looking for, but if you are willing to look outside the box a bit, I think the way huge red llama does some cool fuzz sounds on the high end of it's gain, really neat pedal, and cleans up really nice. But I would say to try it out with your amp before buying it, or buy from a place with a good return policy, it can act odd in some setups, regardless, it's one of my favorites.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

lazyJ cruiser.

7. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Bearfoot Honey Bee was close for this kind of thing but I think the PTD Bone Machine did it better, but of course the PTD has a lot more range and insanity available. Germ fuzz is a good idea too, but not all will hit the sweet spot for you, some just sound sorta bassy and woofy, a MJM London is always a goodie, even better with bias control.

8. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

For fuzzy cranked amp sounds, I'd go with a Fuzz Face-style circuit. IMO, the EQD Dream Crusher is one of the most dynamic FF circuits out there.

If you want to pay less $$$, you can't go wrong with the Dunlop Mini Fuzz Face Red.

9. macg1

macg1 Supporting Member

My vote goes for the Celestial Effects Aquarius Fuzz.