Fuzz pedal update

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fifthstone, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've been pretty frustrated with my Fulltone 70 fuzz pedal. It had only been giving me full blown massive fuzz, which was fine for what it was but the sound wasn't really versatile. It also doesn't clean up very well with the guitar volume knob, only going to about 9 or so before the signal drops too much to be useful.

But now I think I finally have it...

I plugged this into my Reeves Custom 6, and dimed the fuzz knob, and put the tone knob somewhere between 1 and 4 o'clock. Then adjusted the volume on the fuzz to where it would be the right level with my guitar turned down to about 8.

NOW I'm starting to get some happening vintage Hendrixy fuzz. Turning the guitar volume up to 10 from here results in the same massive fuzz without bumping the volume too much. With the guitar volume dimed, it's too much for me, so now I find I have to both switch on the effect and roll back on my volume if going for a solo with this setup. A bit cumbersome, but do-able.

2. cameron

cameron Member

The 70 is a rather raunchy and specialized sounding pedal. I don't think it's a very good general purpose fuzz. It sounds, based on your description, that you'd have been happier with a classic Fuzz Face kind of pedal (Fulltone '69 or any of the others on the market).

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yeah, buyer's remorse to some degree. I went by the clip on Fulltone's site, which sounded really good to me at the time.

4. llc55

llc55 Member

As mentioned above, the '70 is a very specific pedal. It is focused on that Woodstock/BOG era. The thing you miss in your tone is probably the lack of the other involved componets of the "Jimi Tone": A freakin loud non-master Plexi with a closed back cab. Si FFs tend to sound thin when you roll off the volume pot.

I find the '70 a great Fuzzface. I had a MJM London Fuzz Ge and it was replaced by the '70 to achive a more clear yet sustany tone. And less fatness. My tonal reference is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXLB_mbPFw&search=eric%20johnson%20love%20confusion

I miss the London for other tricks, but I have a COT50 for rolled off Jiminess and it does a great job!

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

llc55, very cool video. And if I could play like Eric....

I was also looking at the MJM as well as the '69 Pedal. I guess my biggest complaint is the buzzy high end. Even when I roll down my guitar's volume there's still that high end which I find a bit annoying (at full blast on my gutiar volume that is).

I wonder how much delay would smooth out the 70 Pedal. I think I'm going to plug into my Germino right now and see what happens.

6. llc55

llc55 Member

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I just finished playing with the 70 Pedal and a Rocktron Short Timer (surprisingly good delay) and it did smooth out the sound a bit. I'd like to avoid the delay though. What settings do you use on your 70 and what guitar and amp (type and settings) have you had the most luck with?

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

By the way, AWESOME clip. That IS the tone I want out of a fuzz.

9. llc55

llc55 Member

I spent some time tweking the internal trimmer I found the stock position being the best for me (around 11:00).

The knobs were at V:1:00, M:11:00, F:04:00. So I recently tried to crank the mids a little bit and backed off the volume to compensate the boost. Now it's around V:11:00, M:3:00, F:4:00.

I use a stock Am Std strat and a LP with WCR/Seth Lover combo. But I manly use the strat with the '70.

My amp is a Marshall JCM601 which a run in the clean channel, pretty dark (BASS:4:00, MIDS:2:00, TRBLE: 11:00).

10. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I find that using an OD pedal with my 70 really helps for further tone shaping. It also helps to keep the volume manageable.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Hey leftyaxeslinger, any suggestions on a set-up? I have several od's including an OCD and FDII. Do you run the fuzz INTO or FROM the OD's?

llc55, right off the bat, I see that my V is usually less than 10:00, which is way less than you do. So is your volume change between 70 on and off dramatic? I've been running the 70 through a Germino Classic 45, which is much like a JTM 45, but through the bright channel. I've yet to try it through the regular channel, which is more dark. I think I'll try that tomorrow (I've already put the gear away for the night).

Thanks for your help. It's great to be able to discuss the 70 Pedal with folks who use it!

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

...and now I'm GAS-ing for the '69 Pedal. But that second EJ clip is what I'm shooting for tone-wise from the '70. That beautiful violin-like sustain. Amazing.

13. llc55

llc55 Member

Concerning the volume change, running your amp in the verge of breakup will prevent this. Running a light OD after the fuzz will help a lot too, as Leftyaxeslinger stated above.

Important thing about the second clip: the violin tone that can be noticed in the second half of the song is not a fuzzface. That is the Chandler. Note how the tone changes and get tighter and darker when he switches from fuzz to drive. I was originally talking about the first solo and all the rythm parts.

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Ah. I used to have one of those Chandlers (stolen out of my car). Thanks!