fuzz pedal: which ones are smooth, warm, articulate?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fritferret, May 19, 2011.

1. fritferret

fritferret Member

title says it all. thanks!

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Himmelstrutz Gramps is both smooth and articulate, for sure.

Skreddy Lunar Module is another one.

3. fritferret

fritferret Member

thanks! also, i'm looking for one that's more overdrive than distortion, if that makes any sense. i hear the fuzzydrive is like this, but i don't like the fuzzydrive at all.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It sounds like the Lunar Module to me... never owned a Fuzz but I am looking to buy a Skreddy

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

A smooth & articulate fuzz pedal is a paradox.

6. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I think generally, germanium fuzz's are smooth, warm and articulate and the silicons tend to be sharper and wilder. Definitely exceptions to that though.

7. yotoad

yotoad Member

+1

yep.

8. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

The Fulltone '69 and Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face are both excellent.

9. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Do check out the Keeley FuzzHead as it is quite smooth, not splatty, has excellent chord definition, can be set up to be quite warm, cleans up well, gets along with other pedals, and straddles the OD/Fuzz line quite well. Although, alone it does not do high gain at all unless it is goosed with a compressor, clean boost, or other type od drive pedal.
    I find mine to be quite usefull, and for when I need higher gain type tones I just goose it with my Katana or FullDrive.

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Scarab Deluxe (Deluxe so you can tweak for articulation; both versions are smoothe and warm). -E

12. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Pro analog mk ii I own sounds just like that - I think all pro analog fuzzes sound different though due to the rare trannies they use from time to time - mine has a cut control knob to tame the fuzz and on the inside it says "rare 1970 sola sound tranny" - so I can't vouch for all of them - but mine is super warm and smooth for a fuzz

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have gone through a few fuzzes, looking for something that would give me that full, singing fuzz sound into a clean amp. I have tried both silicon and germanium FF designs, and neither does super well into a clean amp. Amp breaking up? Yes, they sing. But I would not call them smooth or warm.

Now, today I got a SkinPimp MKIII. I think that has ended my search for fuzz. It is just plain bad ass and can be smooth, warm and articulate as well as tear your head off if you want it to. Many, many awesome fuzz sounds in that pedal.

Mike

14. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Couldn't disagree more.

:hide2

Iristone likes this.
  15. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

a ge fuzz (fuzzface style) can be articulate if you avoid certain areas of the fingerboard (like the wound strings @ the 12th fret).

16. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Both really good suggestions. As the OP said he's looking for more OD than distortion, the Gramps+ is exactly that, a fuzz OD that can also get to distortion levels of gain. The Scarab Deluxe that Eric mentioned is another favorite of mine, and my all time fave fuzz is the Black Arts Pharaoh, which fits your criteria very well. Low gain to high and very warm (VERY), smooth, articulate, and fairly uncompressed for a fuzz. If the Skreddy Screwdriver is fuzzy enough for you (it's more of an OD), it's quite dynamic as well. I'd go with the LM over the Screwdriver if you do want fuzz.

17. jw112

jw112 Member

Morgan shadow

18. ciclosonico

ciclosonico Member

Lunar Module, you can't go wrong! :)

19. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

Agreed. But after comparing the FuzzHead to other fuzzes, I'd say it leans more toward the OD side. Still, a great pedal if you're not looking for a fuzz freakout.

20. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

Many, many awesome fuzz sounds to be found in the MKIII to be sure. Not the smoothest fuzz I ever met (although I do agree that it can be pretty smooth), but it can most definitely rip your heart out in a very articulate way. I wasn't sure about mine at first, but I now love it. I'd say it's very unique and I can't think of anything that compares. Hardcore, but not in a splatty, unusable kinda way.