Fuzz Pedals That Are Real Keepers

Vuur

Maybe I'm too much of a tone snob anymore but I'm having problems finding good fuzz units. The prices these days for effects have really increased from a few years ago. I'm buying highly- rated units (and not cheap ones) that really just plain disappoint. The last "keeper" I bought was the Fulltone '70. That did not disappoint, very good unit indeed.

I need some serious suggestions for some good units-silicon, ge, muff clones, etc . Under $200 please, used is just fine. Something that won't be returned or put up for sale in a week or two........ a real keeper.

I play mostly 70s classic rock.

You have got to really specify what you're looking for (which texture, which exact EQ-shape, which features, which gain range, etcetera etcetera), and what you didn't like about the ones you already tried.
Otherwise, as this thread is already showing, everybody is just going to list their own personal favorite, and you'll get a hundred replies with a hundred different answers, which has zero usefulness to you.

Although, to be fair, being exact about it will still mean a part of the replies will be useless, because lots of people here will still just list their own personal favorite, instead of taking the effort of actually thinking about what would help the OP. But, it will still get you useful answers, unlike now. :)

Mike7300

Cool I have an op amp big muff I use for pumpkins but it has like no low end so looking for one that doesn’t cut out all the low end.

Bluedano1

The Dunlop Si Hendrix fuzz is great.

I still need to try one out ( I'd probably just buy it, but no "gear $$' right now), but this one seems to be a real favorite of affordable fuzzes. Si fuzz, with good guitar Volume knob cleanup.

I gotta admit, the Dunlop FF Minis are really cute!

Attachments

• 20220404_132226.jpg
    20220404_132226.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 5

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I like the Fulltone Octafuzz.

Adds some nice Octavia type sounds, and if the boost is low and you put another fuzz in front of it, you can get some great high gain with octave above still coming in, especially as the note decays.

It has a switch to just run as a normal fuzz as well. That mode is good, but as one word of caution, there is a volume difference in the two modes, so you can't just switch the Octavia part off and on seamlessly.

The octave off part is more of a "bonus mode" switch, but needs a tweak on the volume if you like both modes.

I bought an Octafuzz used for $85 and it works well in a busy band mix with Octave off and both controls at around 11.

-bEn r.

sahhas

my silicon fuzz face clone is made by Frank the Anvil FX, i actually also have his Roland Beebaa fuzz too, and have it out, it is so good sounding!!!!!

and i'm thinking of getting another one he offers....

Curious which clones?

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Two stick out to me… chase bliss/zvex bliss factory. And spaceman Sputnik 3. Between those two I can’t imagine anything better.

sahhas

and i did just get another one, a happy late father's day to me!!!

my silicon fuzz face clone is made by Frank the Anvil FX, i actually also have his Roland Beebaa fuzz too, and have it out, it is so good sounding!!!!!

johnnyg88

Gold Supporting Member
one that I keep selling to fund something “nicer” and always end up buying again after selling the “nicer” one is the Fulltone ‘70 MKII. I always forget they even though it sounds a little harsh when I’m playing by myself at home, that’s what makes it perfect for playing in a band. It pokes out just enough and you can crank the MIDS knob and really be up front if you want. Sure, it doesn’t clean up as well as a lower gain fuzz but it does that thing just enough. Currently don’t own one but I’m constantly eyeing my friend’s and feeling a little like I’m missing out!

My Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe is my go to buffer/wireless friendly fuzz pedal. Same kind of thing. On its own and comparing to other less finicky fuzzes, it sounds a bit harsh to me, so I’m always on the brink of replacing it. But again, that’s what helps the pedal poke through a bit in a band I think.

The Hendrix Mini FF is almost there for me. It’s a little too low gain for my taste (I want fuzz to have the extra out of control quality available) but I think that’s what gives it the good clean up. The mids feel just right too.

Hoodster

Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. Is it the Fuzzferatu or a different one? I’d be tempted by one of those if it weren’t for the creepy graphics.

Babysquid

I’ve been through so many. As many have pointed out the right fuzz is very dependent on how and what you play. Don’t get hung up on hype, always trust your ears and the feel. I’ve had D.A.M tonebender mk 1.5, Analogman germanium fuzz face, Crest audio Fuzzface, LIC tonebender mki, rotosound fuzz, Dunlop jimi fuzz, William tonebender mk2, shin eI companion, fuzz factory, pigeon FX tone bender mk1 and various others. I then learned how to build and made a silicon fuzz face which was absolutely perfect for me at the time. I then experimented and eventually built a modified version of the Jordan bosstone and that has to be my favorite ever. If you’d asked me at the start I’d have said I was after a germanium fuzz and probably tonebender Mk2 and definitely not what I’m really happy with now!

shoule79

The 70 is one of the only pedals i've ever sold then bought back. I'm not even a FF guy, but that pedal just does it right.

Anyway, I have been digging the Earthquaker Hizumitas lately as a muff. I've owned everything from 70's to boutique, and its really something special. Little heavy on the low end though.

Also been enjoying the JHS Cheese Ball lately. Its a good clone of the original Big Cheese Lovetone pedal.

sahhas

yes, the Fuzzferatu, i love the graphics!!! so cool
it's a great fuzz pedal, i just love it!!!

i just ordered another one by him this morning!!

Thanks. Is it the Fuzzferatu or a different one? I’d be tempted by one of those if it weren’t for the creepy graphics.

AerochromeA

Something that can do (but not limited to) an early Black Sabbath tone would be nice.

I'm looking more for a vintage tone vs. modern, something that can do fairly high gain.

MY MAN, wow.. no clue why no one has brought this pedal up yet but EHX put out a reissue of their green russian muff. It’s really affordable, can do that and more!!

D2690F03-5BE5-44CF-80B5-E25D741831AB.jpeg

Awesome fuzz unit, total keeper. :bong

Trending Topics

Top Bottom