Fuzz- Pink Floyd, QOTSA

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by inhuman, Jan 25, 2012.

1. inhuman

inhuman Member

OK gentleman,
    I am looking for a fuzz to cover lots of ground. I love the Gilmour fuzz tones from Ummagumma and Echoes but I play more Queens of the stone age type music. I am leaning towards a silicon fuzz, MJM London Fuzz 2, Lunar Module, but considering the Pharaoh Black Arts.

I love fuzz with delay and reverb. From the three mentioned, which one would be best suited for what I am looking for. I mostly play humbuckers. I know the Lunar module is a Gilmour influenced pedal but can it do alt rock well? The London Fuzz 2 sounds like it can do alt rock with easy, but what about the trippy Floyd? Any suggestions?

2. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

I use a Blackout Effectors Musket for QOTSA and Gilmour. It's very versatile. No experience in the other pedals that you mentioned though.

It's smooth and full of sustain, but can also sound aggressive.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the fuzzes you listed (but I would like to try a Pharaoh), but I have found that for QOTSA tones, putting an EQ after your fuzz can help a lot.

4. inhuman

inhuman Member

blackout musket, heard a lot about it. Will have to check it out.

5. inhuman

inhuman Member

Another pedal I am considering is the creepy fingers doomidrive. Sounds perfect for QOTSA but not sure about with Floyd-like tones. Anyone?

6. Slidepiece

Slidepiece Member

:agree I second this, it's a very versatile fuzz and can cover some ground.

7. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

What about the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe? Gets the versatile vote from every one and has that classic fuzz face sond with clean up and all.

8. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

Fulltone ultimate octave for QOTSA will give you the fuzz and octave

muff or fuzzface for gilmour lunar module (ff style) pigmine or musket(muff style)

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

10. Mig60

Mig60 Member

MXR M173 Classic 108 Fuzz, may be an option, an it's not expensive.

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

DAM Meathead Dlx would do what you want.
    FWIW, here's a pic of the inside of one of my Meatheads ... used to belong to Troy van Leeuwen of QotSA

[​IMG]

12. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Man every time I see this pedal makes me SOOOOOOO jealous

13. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Ultimate Octave

Has the switchable Octave up fuzz for QOTSA and when off the Fuzz only is a pretty good Si Fuuz Face kinda of tone.

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Not really Si Fuzz Face like... even though it is said to originate from the Foxx fuzz, it's on the Muff side of things but bassier and minus the mid-scoop. But indeed ideal for Queens stuff (at least after the 2nd album when he stopped relying - mostly - on cranked Ampegs for his usual OD-meets-distortion). Not ideal though for early Floyd. In my opinion, even if you get a nice jack of all trades such as the Musket, it will be a master of none. But my vote would go to the MXR noted above (I haven't played with one for a long time but from what I remember, it's worth suggesting).

15. Black Arts Mark

Black Arts Mark Member

Listen...I'm not saying it's good for anything other than a doorstop, but I do know that there are 2 Pharaohs in the QoTSA arsenal, and I hear that Josh has been seen using one live...Just sayin...

+edit+ now, IF I heard there was one on Gilmour's board, I suppose it would be all over. My heart would attack me and I'd be dead.

16. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

OMG that is awesome! I guess he didn't like it? Some serious mojo there, IMO.

Really? Didn't know that. I've been interested in the Pharaoh (and Black Forest for that matter) lately anyway, but that really makes me interested. Maybe thats why I've heard it can do good qotsa tones?

17. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

My Pharaoh did not get hairy or weird enough for QUOTSA in my book, but did a great Floyd sound. That said, I didn't know those guys owned them and it's a great pedal! Perception is half the battle I suppose; it's funny how exaggerated some of us need our approximations of celebrity tones to be in order to accept them as close haha.

I just got a Malekko Helium and, while it's not a fuzz, it does QUOTSA stuff with ease.

I don't think I would've liked the Pharaoh with buckers, but I don't own anything that doesn't have p-90's or singles.

Maybe look into one of the more tweak-able tonebender style boxes? I have an EQD Tone Reaper that smooths out on the next pickup for those flutey Gilmour sounds, and gets raunchy as hell for QUOTSA.

18. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Thing is way too light to be a good doorstop, but sonic-ally hefty enough to stop any door on the planet.

19. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Nothing remotely close to Queens stuff from Tonebenders in my opinion, and I've tried wuite a few (and I'm a complete Homme geek since Kyuss...)

20. duaner58

duaner58 Supporting Member

Queens sound is just not fuzz... what you could try is using a FF and back off the gain a bit... then dime your amp and try pushing air that way. A silicon one would do it and you could use it for Floyd as well.

I play queens/kyuss type of stuff and believe it or not I use a Honey Bee Overdrive which is low gain.